Will GM compete?

>Cadillac DPi set fastest laps in qualifying
>Mazda DPi 3 seconds off pace
>"Zoom zoom"

blackflag.jalopnik.com/cadillacs-prototype-is-officially-2017s-fastest-new-car-1791675559

Other urls found in this thread:

theapexracing.co/2017/01/2017-rolex-24-daytona-bop/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

POSTING SPAM LINKS IS AGINST THE RULES

if this thread wasnt spam the OP post would have included the fucking article and points they want to talk about

>CLICKBAIT

japdick wants to see how many of its users browse Veeky Forums by seeing how many people redirect to that page from here

Anyone have comparison shots of the Mazda and Cadillac?

They seem significantly different looking.

They are very different looking. Huh.

I would post the comparison photos, but I'm on my phone at the moment.

The big thing between the DPi's is that they're all based off of different LMP2 chassis (Cadillac went with Dallara, Mazda went with the Riley/Multimatic and the Nissan the team that won Daytona & Sebring last year are running is based on the new Ligier LMP2) and they're all very unique compared to their "Base Model" cars (The Mazdas & Nissans in particular are almost conpletely different in comparison).

One thing to note is that every LMP2 and every DPi except the Mazda are using Cosworth electronics in some degree and they've all had problems in pre-season testing (The Nissan team actually couldn't get one of their cars to start in half a day because the electrics were screwing up, the Cadillac teams were having their dashboard screens glitch out while on track etc. etc.). Mazda might be 3 seconds down, but if everybody else's issues continue to crop up they might have a shot for victory. Of course, if everybody in the Prototype class drops out, I wouldn't put it past a GT-LM car from Ford, or Chevrolet, or Porsche or even Ferrari sneaking in a cheeky win like at the Petite Le Mans that one year...

Anyone know how I can watch this on an LG TV or Sling?

I found places to stream on my PC, but I'd rather watch it on my TV.

Mazda did set the highest top speed at 197.1 mph compared to 191.5 mph of the Cadillac. It's top lap was still second. So yeah, could certainly win, especially with the Cosworth electronics issues everyone else are getting.

I can't wait to see what happens. These cars are way cooler than any previous IMSA ones. I hope this becomes a bigger series.

According to imsa fox will broadcast it

No, gm will get btfo like last year.

>Cadillac
>not GM
>wat

There's only so many Fox channels on Sling. I have a feeling some of those channels aren't.

It's going to be split up between like 4 different Fox channels. Not the whole race on one continuously.

GM is trying to improve the brand image of Cadillac to attract the younger 30s and 40s more tech savvy professional buyers.

>egg and spoon races

Caddy was BOPped, less fuel than the rest. All else equal, a lap or two per tank, and a refueling restrictor which will make all of those pits for gas take longer.

theapexracing.co/2017/01/2017-rolex-24-daytona-bop/

Why set a fast qualifying time and get BOP'd, instead of driving a little softer so you're not BOP'd?

BOP was after the roar but before qualifying.

What is a prototype in the racing world?

Is it just a car with the best of the technologies the company has?

Oh okay.

But I still think it's pretty bullshit.
As long as cars are designed within the rules, there shouldn't be varying different fuel and air restrictors unless they're related to things like vehicle dimensions, weight, displacement.

Well I think that's the idea with LMP1 that had the Delta Wing, diesel, and has all these hybrids, but LMP2 are pretty old tech. And weren't LMP2 all uniform with the same body, chassis, engine?

Sort of yes.

Mazda did take P1 and P2 in practice at last weeks Roar24, and the Cadillac was behind Rebellion

I too would like to see a racing series where they don't pull silly shenanigans like nerfing cars that are rules compliant.

It's come to the point where there are only a few ways that race cars are more advanced than road cars. Some of our classes you can't have electronic modification of the suspension, so the shock tubes have crazy mechanical valving that will never make it to road cars because it's one of the black boxes where teams can differentiate themselves - and if it works, they don't want to give up their competitive advantage. Meanwhile, Delphi, BWI, and Lord all make alien jizz dampers for road cars.

Fuck off alphonse.

You can actually get way more downforce and horsepower on a road legal car.

An f1 car gets about 2 tons of downforce at 80mph. Though they weigh just 1548lb. That lets it pull 2 lateral gs.
But without those rules, you could rather easily make a car that pulls 3 or 4 lateral gs.

But I don't so much mind that there aren't rules that allow for crazy downforce which makes for more spectacular crashes when air flows just right that a car loses grip.
I just don't like that cars get nerfed like that when they're within the rules to make things more even. That goes against advancing technology to make the cars better.