Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums,

I have a bit of a dilemma. So my grandfather passed away last month and the family is cleaning out his assets. He has a classic car and the family is wondering if I want to purchase it because none of my aunts or uncles want it.

It's a 1972 Dodge Challenger. It's a very base car with a 4 speed manual and 318ci engine.

The car was side swiped in the early 80s so one rear quarter is destroyed and the door and fender have scratches but are savable. It's been parked since the accident so it only has 20,000 original miles. Looks very good on rust, all original paint. Only rust is where bare metal is from the accident.

The engine is seized, I'm not sure about the transmission. Mice have also destroyed the wiring. The interior is very nice except for the seats and carpet.

Is this car worth saving? I've worked on old vehicles before. My first vehicle was a 1987 Chebby but never a project this large so I'm quite worried it's going to become a money pit.

They're willing to sell it to me for $2,000 if I restore it, otherwise they're putting it up in an auction.

Other urls found in this thread:

allpar.com/mopar/4bbl.html
carid.com/1972-dodge-challenger-quarter-panels/
youtube.com/watch?v=uiK_Gd84rBw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is there any interior?

Just because it's not the common automatic I would

Yeah i'd say it's worth it, you can find a better, 360 Mopar for a song and a dance 2bh it'll probably even share the same bellhousing.
Dunno about the body work tho.

Everything is there but it has had mice. So the seats and carpet are definitely trash.

Why engine swap an unmolested challenger with a manual? The 318's weren't that bad

He says the engine was seized although he should check to make sure.
Did you pull the plugs out and try to rotate it? Also drip some oil down the plug holes and let it sit for a day or two then try it.

He should rebuild the engine (if need be) at least if he has to sell it will be all numbers matching some boomer would buy at high price

I'd want to keep it all original. I figure that's a lot of the value in the car.

The body work would consist of pulling a dent in the door and replacing the rear passenger quarter panel.

It turns but it feels very rough.

>He should rebuild the engine (if need be) at least if he has to sell it will be all numbers matching some boomer would buy at high price
It would literally be cheaper to throw a 360 in there.

>I figure that's a lot of the value in the car.
Not a 318.
Even if it did sell in that configuration $40 says whoever buys it is going to throw a 440 in it.
This is the reality of the 318.

then let oil sit in the plug holes for a few days.
Don't try to turn the key in the state that it's in.

But you know these challengers are rare as fuck in manual

Any Chrysler-made car with a 4 speed is rare but the thing is, your target market with a classic wants an automatic. The Torqueflite was faster than the A833.

Anyone looking at this car will talk you down because bloo bloo bloo small block manual this that.

Everyone want's a big block 727 E body no word of a lie and if they buy it that's what they'll do to it.
Personally, i would honestly keep it as a fun weekend car. The 318 can take a lifetime of a beating as well as the 4 speed.

You should post pics of it. If you have any interest in the car, you should buy it. If you don't care about it, let them sell it.

That I understand, but honestly I'd take the manual 318 over auto hemi

Same here. The people that drive these cars usually manual swap them anyway.
The people who want a show car couldn't give a shit though.

Doesn't matter with that engine. This is the rare occurrence where if you built a 340 clone you'd pick up a good amount of value

Id buy it for $2000 and try to flip it to an idiot

waste of money to build up

I have a feeling this is a somewhat special car with the small block and 4 speed. This car wasn't bought off of a lot but rather ordered. It has a 2.76 rear end ratio as well.

My grandfather planned on doing a lot of traveling in the car and wanted it to get good fuel economy. Though it was probably quite gutless.

The 318 is a dog of an engine but it's extremely dependable. You can make some power out of a 318.
allpar.com/mopar/4bbl.html

I'll cast my vote for you to keep it and restore it. It has sentimental value for one but also it can potentially be the most fun car you've driven.

You should tale a borescope to the spark plug holes to check they cylinders for rust.
If they are rusty, then you need a rebuild obv.
Also flush the coolant and replace it, it could be acid by now.
The 318 came with a 2 barrel carb. It's not bad, it could get maybe 20mpg i'd wager.
Ofc you can always upgrade to a 4 barrel manifold and throw one of those TBI easy efi kits on there.

It'll be pricey to fix but not outrageous.
carid.com/1972-dodge-challenger-quarter-panels/

>rebuild because of surface rust

Just get it running and the piston rings will grind the cylinders smooth.

The rear quarter's cost will mainly be in paint and hiring a panel welder. It will probably end up costing at least 2k just to do that part of the car.

But so far it's looking like the car needs

>rear quarter
>door pulled
>paint on damaged areas
>all new wiring
>carpets and seat covers
>engine rebuilt
>all fluids, hoses, belts, etc
>new windshield

and whatever else comes up

If you do most of that yourself it won't be too bad honestly.

I'm not going to sit here and lie and say it'll be cheap or easy but ultimately it's your decision.

>They're willing to sell it to me for $2,000
If they want you to work on their cars, then you should charge them $2000 next time.

>2k for a classic challenger

I'd do it.

I could give you a good idea if you take so photos for me.
>All the sides of the vehicle
>Interior
>Underneath the vehicle
>Engine bay
Also maybe a webm of it started up so I can hear it run as well as the exhaust.

wat

Also what kind of family sells you your families stuff? Seems kinda off to me.

Probably someone else in the family inherited it and is being a douchebag

True. Fuck offer them 1.5k if they are so hard up for cash that they are trying to sell you things already. They should take it. Use the other 500 and bring it to a garage so they can get that engine running and tend to the wiring.

Let it go to auction and laugh all the way to the bank.

>maybe a webm of it started up so I can hear it run as well as the exhaust.

I'm sure your professional opinion will count for so much considering you couldn't read the part where OP said the engine is seized and mice destroyed wiring.

Also the carb has sat for 30 years probably, that sucker ain't running soon.

Sometimes I don't read the post completely through. Plus I saw 72 challenger and got excited

>They're willing to sell it to me for $2,000
>Is this car worth saving?
You can see the prices for working 1972 Dodge Challengers by googling:
how much does a 1972 Dodge Challenger cost?

Some people charge exorbitant fees since "I Know What I Got". Since your interior trim is very nice, that's a big deal right there because restoration can mean re-making the parts custom.

youtube.com/watch?v=uiK_Gd84rBw

Buy it

very desirable cars, the 318 is a really cheap engine to rebuild, moreso because it has a 4 speed. Keep it stock and its worth more.Panel beating/rust repairs isn't as bad as everyone makes it to be. Its pretty cheap and you will never have this opportunity again. Just buy it

pics?

Seats can probably just get reupholstered, so that should be cheaper than buying new seats. Use replacing the carpet as an excuse to put down some sound deadener and fix any rust on the floors.

>grandfather
>rest of family doesn't want it
>will SELL it to you

What a shitty fucking family

who is the money going to anyway?

it better be going towards the old mans funeral ffs

Nah, you're just a cunt.
>splitting up the estate
>nobody has the time or desire to restore it
>don't want to show favoritism to any of the grandkids by outright giving user the car
>offer to sell it for about half of what a rolling shell goes for

I'll try to post pictures later this week after I pull it out of the quonset and hose 35 years of dirt off of it.

I'd like to keep it as original as possible. Maybe just a nice weekend driver. Though I would like to add a 4 barrel, power steering and dual exhaust if I do buy it.

That would cause some major issues between me and my father.

I have a shop owner coming next week to give me a quote on welding in a new quarter and if he can save the door. He said he'll check the engine for free while he is there. I haven't tried to start it in fear I'll destroy it.

Grandparents assets were to be distributed to the children. None of my aunts, uncles or parents want the car so it was offered to sale at 2k to the grandchildren. I'm the only one who has shown interest. One uncle seems to think the car is worth 6-7k in it's current condition despite not running for 3 decades and needing major body work.

No one in specific was given the car. It's just something extra in the estate that was agreed to be sold and then the funds given to my grandfather's immediate children.

I figure the car fixed up and running with a partial paint job is probably worth 12-15k. Though I'm worried I'm going to end up sinking more than that into it.

I actually tore up some of the carpet (it was already ripped) and the original paint on the floorboards don't have a spec of rust. Frame is near spotless as well. There are a few chips on the front from gravel roads but it's quite minor.

Split 4 ways between my dad, two uncles and aunt.

>Though I would like to add a 4 barrel, power steering and dual exhaust if I do buy it.
It probably already has power steering honestly.

Even if it doesn't cars that old (and small) are light enough where you don't really need power steering.

I'm pretty much in the same boat my man. 66 stang with the 200 I6.

Found her on the side of the road for 3500. Needed a starter, floors, and brakes all redone. Found out later it's been in an accident and the frame was slightly warped.

I'm 6000 into repairs and it goes a long way if you aren't retarded about it.