How do I stop being a wagecuck? I work in audit right now (kill me) and every week there are people leaving the firm...

How do I stop being a wagecuck? I work in audit right now (kill me) and every week there are people leaving the firm. I want to as well but have no idea what ill do once I'm out.

Well assume for the time being you're gonna still be doing audit. Accept it temporarily because leaving a job with no backup plan is pretty insane.

In the meantime start trying different things, doing short courses, reading books. I don't care if they turn out to be dead-ends, red herrings, or garden-paths. You're gonna do it until you find something that you're good at and can monetize to a point where you can live a lifestyle that, even if you're not accustomed to it, the sacrifice is well worth the change in career.

A good place to start is working out what you REALLY want in life. For some people it's a ethereal, pseudo-spiritual sense of self actualization. For other people it's far more sensory. For other people it's job satisfaction... I don't fucking know what yours is. That's why you're gonna start going down all roads like one of those character characters in a Tex Avery cartoon who splices off into a dozen replicas each running in a different direction.

I quit audit and went to transfer pricing.

Probably the easiest shitting job ever, and you get paid the same.

>he fell for the finance meme
HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm studying accounting atm. I've heard about the high turnover rate for Big 4 and mid tier firms, fuark that man no way thats slavery.

Can you give me a better insight in what its like to work in a place like this?

Almost 3 years in audit as of this Dec. Good brand name and client exposure (they rotate you across many industries so you get to work with all kinds of businesses). They also compensate you for your CPA etc.

The reason for the high turnover is, as you work upwards, the return is very small compared to the effort required. Work is not that challenging, ie. boring, low pay, and extremely long hours in the peak seasons. Most just get their CPAs and leave, and the firm knows this.

at least his major isnt liquidated in the job market like yours probably is

Why do people work so much outside of nornal hours?

Is it basic work they essentially get you to do that they teach?

Get the hell out of audit and get into a role that provides value somehow to something. The only people who are sticking around Big 4 these days are too scared to do real work and it's poisoning the whole industry.

Just wanted to say this is great advice. Listen to this user OP

Whose else some bastard form of IT consulting?

Gonna go be a "cyber risk" consultant after college at the big 4.

Many job assignments back to back and impossible to finish the work in the allotted time. If you have a manager that somewhat understands basic human decency + work life balance you might get out at 8pm.

>tfw big4 audit
>don't know what i'd do in industry, a lot of places don't pay very well
>just hoping i'll get promoted to manager level and worry about it later
>but i'm autistic, with no friends and shit people skills, and my coworkers are better liked
>even if i wanted to go to industry, don't know who i'd use as references
feels bad man

How do I fucking get IN a big 4 firm. I just graduated after studying my fucking ass off. I'm one of the top students of my school and I can't even get audit. Fuck this GAY EARTH.

as someone who works in big4, it's a lot about your networking and social skills, looks play a big role too (I am considerably less attractive than my peers)

looks play a big role tbqh, more so if you're a grill, but for guys too

>just graduated
much harder to find jobs after graduating. most fulltime spots for first years are reserved for summer students and those who applied while in school

try to get in to a smaller firm, then in 3 years try to switch to big4 if you really want to

Switch to Advisory, dumbass

I worked audit for a summer at kpmg and it was the most mind numbing experience ever. whenever I saw a firetruck on my way to work I would actively hope that my workplace was burning down. I switched my focus at school to data science after I found out that I would probably kill myself if I continued in finance

What kind of shit did they get you to do in audit?

>summer student
you worked the least busy time, when the only reason you're given a job is to market to your classmates, and to try to lock you in for fulltime

all summer students do is basic work, and attend socials. you were supposed to have fun and make friends

which one is it?

Where do you live?

Anyone working for EY? Got invited there, project Management real estate. Recommended?

I do. Is that under the TAS service line?

do internal audit in a private company

you can be a total cunt and boss everyone around, all other departments are garantueed to fucking hate you but can not fucking touch you

its so much fun, and pay is really good.

I'm a 3L law student and I want to get into Consulting and corporate strategy, is big4 a good path to this ?

I work in big 4 in audit - its tough.

However, its a good cv name and sets you up well for future job opportunities

I am at EY, audit. They expect a lot! Not sure if real estate is as intense as audit.

I figured this is why I didn't get in. I'm an ugly Autist girl, tried to get in for tax but was rejected from 2 big 4s even tho I had a high GPA and exp.
Do you think I could get in at a smaller firm if I pass the CPA by myself? I work a regular accounting job now and just graduated in May

Do they hire people with unrelated university degrees?

> ugly Autist girl

You would not believe how sexist some of the managers are here. Count yourself lucky and stay away from Hell 4.

Speaking of which, working this Saturday and Sunday, yay!

>Audit
>Finance
>not accounting

Do you even know anything?

I've been doing public accounting (audit) for 12 years. There is no off ramp from this ride. You are here forever.

The only reason to go big 4 is for the networking aspect. If you are looking to succeed based on ability, a smaller firm is the way to go.

I work for a regional firm. Been here 12 years. If you interview for a regional firm, talk about how excited you are to help your clients, and that's why you want to work for a regional firm, to work closer with your clients. We love to hear that shit.

You looking to become a partner soon?
Surely you're not doing the same old shitty entry-level audit stuff after 12 years right?

I'm a senior manager. Basically a principal. I manage a book of business, but will probably not make partner. I have not brought in a substantial client, or group of sufficient new business to make partner. I do great managing clients and client expectations, do great managing multiple engagements and managing my staff and training my staff so they progress, I am just not a good salesman selling the firm to bring in new clients.

I make >$100k, and will probably cap out at $150k next year when its made definite I wont make partner. I could have left over the years, been offered controller positions, and was offered 3 different CFO positions, but never the right opportunity for enough money. I make too much where I am to make less somewhere else for the same amount of work.

How un related is your degree?

Good stuff man. It takes a certain kind of person to make partner I guess. But it's not like that's the be all and end all. I'm starting at Deloitte next Feb. Not in Audit, but I'm hoping I can make a good career of it. Not sure if I want to stay within the firm long-term or look to move on after a few years. We'll see I guess.

If you're a male, you NEED to be tall.

I'm fairly certain the average make height at big 4 is hovering around 6'1.

You have to be a go getter all the fucking time. You have to spend your nights and weekends networking and working potential clients. I dont take business owners golfing on the weekends or take them to dinner during the week.

partners do. I know the deal and have decided I am what I am. I am a knowledgeable auditor who can advise clients in a knowledgeable and correct manner. But I want to go home at night. I dont need to go home at 5:30, and someone in public accounting should expect to never go home at 5:30, but I need some me time.

BSc in chemistry

Some computational research experience

my cousin in law works at Deloitte and he's 6'5, a powerlifter and triathlon athlete and former model

so glad I'm not in finance

I work at a regional midsize.

I couldn't get into Big 4 because I'm 5'8. Recruiting out of school was a nightmare, every single guy I talked to towered over me.

So many fucking "meet-n-greets" where the 6'6 dude flirting with waitresses and getting numbers just thinking I'm a joke from the first handshake.

The hight thing is bullshit. I'm 5'11 and about average height. My manager is 5'7"

That might be hard to swing. I've seen a few math people, but not any science people that weren't engineers.

Sure you have, buddy.

Uh Huh. Yeah. Networking. Right?

>le smart but lazy meme

The reason why I know you're so full of shit is because most people serious about their careers don't visit childish forums like this to whine or brag.

OK I guess. I am not full of shit though. Dead honest.

Also: definitely not lazy. If you are lazy, you wont make it in public accounting. I work hard and care about my clients.

Thanks for responding

I'm 5'6" and a senior auditor in a Big 4. I got recruited straight out of school, with a bachelor degree, average grades and no relevant knowledge. It's all about being friendly, proactive and good-looking.