Battle of the Manual AWDs

I live in a town near a lot of ski resorts. I'm looking for a DD that is also confident on snowy mountain roads. I'm looking for your opinion on:
-reliability
-fun
-winter driving
-cold weather features
-other notable pros/cons

Other urls found in this thread:

roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_48_33&products_id=345
youtube.com/watch?v=dkytX2A1bO0
youtube.com/watch?v=ShP-anKzO5U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you just answered yourself
if you're ok with an auto an audi s4 quattro would be a good option

1st gen Toyota Tacoma.

Suzuki SX4
>find a flaw
>Pro tip: You can't

it's slow
best-looking version is FWD (but still good)

sounds like you need something with AWD.

>it's slow
turbo kit fixes that.
roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_48_33&products_id=345
There's a separate kit for automatic cars that's $100 more.

youtube.com/watch?v=dkytX2A1bO0

The Evo and WRX STi are the gold standard for fun winter car. If you can't afford the STi a regular WRX will still get the job done. Granted these aren't the nicest to daily, fairly thirsty and insurance sucks if you're a young male.

Consider some sort of xDrive-equipped BMW if you're after something more comfortable and suited for daily driving, though I think those only come in automatic.

Subaru Justy

A cheap car or truck/SUV as a winter/utility/camping/hauling vehicle and having a fun summer/dry weather car is way better.

I have a 2007 328xi in manual. They exist, and are great drivers.

your existing car with snow tires...

Just buy any naturally aspirated Subaru with a stick, see how you like it from there.

Dont start off with a turbo if you are gonna pretend to be Colin Mcrae.

but how can you rally without the tsu tsu tsu

Also dont buy a Justy, you will get bored a week after owning it and want more car.

Get something mid to late 90's and Subaru, they are dirt cheap and you can easily start upgrading on the cheap because all parts are basically interchangeable between their models.

I learned to drift in a first gen Legacy Wagon on dry, learned to drive in the snow in a Base Model Impreza, now I drive a Legacy GTB year round.

I prefer the NA in the snow and dirt, linear powerband, lighter, and has more than enough power for an amateur, the legacy gets a bit hairy in the white.

the entire car is a flaw.

how?
>cheap
>reliable
>well built
>great AWD system
>aftermarket support (granted only a few companies, but plenty to make your ricer)
>Italian style
>Japanese build quality
>Decent interior
>great fuel economy
Show me a flaw.

The flaw is I cant drive it because my country likes Jap and American

S4 B5

Legacy wagon

honestly any quattro model should work just fine.

But it's Japanese. It's literally built in Japan by a Japanese company. WTF is wrong with you?
They even campaigned it in the WRC directly against the Evo and STI before the rule change necessitating 1.6L engines.

>great AWD system
if this was 1980 maybe.

this

literally only bought the car for winter driving and its excellent aside from when things break. just remember that for the power they make, they fucking chug fuel.

Name another CAR that can lock the AWD system at a permanent 50/50 split at the push of a button.

Older audi quattro's ?. dont even need a button since its permanent 50/50 on the older system

>lock the AWD system at a permanent 50/50 split
wow this is genious. well done suzuki!

I meant our markets, like they dont give us stuff like this because our markets are different sorry.

There's also a 2WD mode that disengages the AWD system leaving it FWD for fuel economy reasons.
youtube.com/watch?v=ShP-anKzO5U

The lancer evo has the most technologically advanced awd. But for you any 4x4 truck with winter tires will suffice.

Does it have a transfer case or is it just magic?

>1st gen Toyota Tacoma.
this with SEVERE SNOW SERVICE rated tires

if you have a small garage, then an alternate is a Subaru Impreza Outback (but only if your area has a lot of subaru mechanic expertise, i.e. good shops with competitive prices)

It has a transfer case. They work similarly to the ones VW uses in the Golf R and Mitsubishi used in the Evos

Group B spec celica or a wrx

i had forgot these existed and now i want one really badly, thanks

op just get a subaru. legacy or impreza good choices. you dont need a wrx or an sti, if you did you need one you wouldnt need to ask us if you should be buying it or not. a subaru with an h6 engine would probably be the best bet. some outbacks have it. its paired with a slow gay transmission a lot (see 2nd gen outbacks for example) but its a great engine.

He's talking about locking the center diff as you would with a truck. I don't think that you can do that with Quattro. Woulda been hilarious if Suzuki included front and rear lockers. I miss the Samurai.

>a turbo kit fixes that
>turbo kit doubles it's power and it still only runs a 15 sec 1/4 mile

Lel wat?

>Subaru Justy

It's only 200hp going through a awd system, It's by no means a race car. It's just supposed to be fun for cruising around the city or back roads. Nobody shits on the gti for being only 200hp...

>tfw 21 YO male
>tfw going to look at an STi in a few hours
>tfw insurance premium went from 150/month to 740 a month just from the quote adding the STi
Admittedly it's mainly because I'm financing and getting all coverage options required for it.

kek

2002 wrx, 22 y/o male 1 ticket 1 accident, $47/mo full coverage. wrx insurance costs are a myth.

740 yo wtf i looked at one i got 350 for me and im 20 btw