What makes a car fun to drive?

What makes cars fun or enjoyable? Why is it that an old econobox can be just as fun as a modern sports car?

(Pic simultaneously related and unrelated, depends on the viewer's opinion.)

It's lightweight and lack of safety makes it thrilling.

The seats. For me, if the new hyper sportscar seats make your back hurt on longer distances you won't feel a pleasure from driving it. That's why I like my V6 FWD old shitbox more than my friend's newer cars. I just hate when seat doesn't fit my shape.

LSD

It's all if you want to have fun with it. There is no such thing as a fun car, just cars that you have had fun in.

Have you tried losing some weight?

personal preference

jokes on you, I am narrow in arms so my favourite is japan cars for midgets. Many yurocars have wide seats and weak side support so I feel like sitting on a couch on them. Mazda or Toyota feel just fine.

For me it's feedback and handling. Communicative steering, communicative suspension and reaction to inputs (steering, throttle, brakes) make all the difference. I like feeling how everything works together to do what I tell the car to do. That's why I don't really like converter automatics, overboosted new brakes, electric power steering etc. They don't make me feel as connected to the car's mechanics as the older/hydraulic/manual equivalents do.

>"AE86"
>No pop-up headlights
>Where is the roof of that car
>Autist moonrunes
>Car is wrong color to be associated with said 'runes
3/10 got me to sperg out

Quick acceleration and throwaroundability. Enjoyed my Integra more then my grandmas G35, my sisters Impreza, and my current Legacy. Granted it's suspension was terrible and it was probably slower than it should of been it was fun to throw around corners.

when driving alone I like listening to the car,
- the tone of a flat boxer engine, porsche 996
- the woosh of turbo pop-off valve - subi wrx

when driving with friends...
- my gf loves my corvair because her dog loves sitting exactly between our seats - no transmission hump in the way
- my carpool crew likes the odyssey because they can move front to back and change seats without my stopping

I don't like being a passenger in most modern sports cars because the belt-line is high so it's harder to see out the windows, it's more fun riding in a truck

>What makes cars fun or enjoyable?
Drive it like its stolen, then any car is enjoyable

This

Is it worth to pull a fuse to deactivate electric powersteering on a 800kg car?

Just remove power steering completely. Also what car?

Toyota Aygo.

>- my gf loves my corvair because her dog loves sitting exactly between our seats - no transmission hump in the way

I wish based column shifters would come back.

well it has to be manual first and foremost

Responsiveness. Fun in a car is directly proportional to perceived control of the car by the driver and the more quickly the car reacts to input the greater the sense of control the driver has.

>Why is it that an old econobox can be just as fun as a modern sports car?

well I fucking doubt that, my guess is you just haven't driven a good modern sports car. I mean, like a lotus elise or something.

However, the root of the issue is always the driver, a car does nothing without it's driver, a driver who goes out of his way to try new things and improve his skills will always have more fun than a driver who is stagnant in a much nicer vehicle.

Vehicles aren't fun alone, it's what you DO with them that makes them fun.

The same way my bike is rather average but I'm having more fun with it than someone who say, just bought a nice new panigale but is afraid to wheelie it or track it or really experience what the bike has to offer.

If I was on the same bike I'd be having more fun than him too because it's all about attitude.

For me it's handling.

Flying around curves with the car telling you to go faster. Feeling like I'm just at the edge of what the car's grip can do, while always thinking I can push it a little bit more.

Removing power steering is never a good idea

t. Non-powersteering driver

What are the downsides except more force needed to steer?

Seconding this.

Cars don't have to be fast or powerful to enjoy them. They just have to be more involving, simple, or sensitive to inputs compared to a normal car. Like lightweight, mechanical, no frills interior, etc. Kinda why old SUV's and hatchbacks are making a resurgence with new safety restrictions and computer controls.

I wish that Honda would import the S660 since the CR-Z got axed.

Parallel parking, or parking in general, becomes a huge pain in the ass.

This too. It's why I hate EVOs, too much grip, it just grips and grips.
Something slower, less grip, les spower, actually driving it, feeling the traction lessen, grown, shift front to back. Fuck that is the best

This. Looped my PS on the miat, spirited driving was fun as fuck.
Since I DD the thing, parking in the CBD was not. I work warehousing for a living and have never been to the gym, but I can deadlift 90kg with effort. I'm not a skeleton.

Literally anything at a slow speed just becomes a big pain in the ass. At city and highway speeds you wont notice as much but let me put it this way, you might just want to cancel your gym membership. God help you if your car is in any way heavy

My car is 800kg/1600lbs.

>integra
>pic related
>Mah nigga
Dude seriously that shit is fun to drive. I started the thread about the tech students painting and I'm meeting the instructor next week to talk about it. Love that car. Currently mechanically sound as a manual RS but my next big project, once I get the paint and trim squared away, will be doing a poor man's R-type build out of it.

If you have thin tires it might be fine, if you have wide sporty tires the steering will weigh much more.

bought one of these because honda fag. Everything is wrong with it so far. previous owner tried to do a sound system and completely failed. Wires laying around fucking everywhere. Suspension lowered and completely uncomfortable. Live in ohio potholes everywhere so it sucks. I'm thinking about going to OEM ride height. Worth it in your opinion?

Integra gsr is the most fun a car can be short of a Ferrari
>more fun the my nsrt4
>more fun than my cls500
>more fun than my T/A WS6

- RWD
- LSD
- IRS
- Sub 3000 lbs

Replying to myself but it actually hurts my heart to think there will never be new hot hatches made that are as exhilarating as the integra

Rwd
manual everything
deafeningly loud
Solid rear axle
Light weight

For me it's enough power to get up and go, while being light enough to toss around relatively easily. Also a manual transmission can make even boring economy cars bretty fun.

>sub 1000lbs
>100hp+
>manual gearbox
>over 9000rpm
>wankel
>NO UNNESSESARY ELECTRONICS
>mechanical instruments

forgot to add:
>RR layout

>sub 1000lbs

You just limited yourself to motorcycles

>100hp+

Now you can only have fun in really fucking fast motorcycles

kei cars are about that weight.
A 13b swapped cappuchino would be the best.

Whether I enjoy driving it or not
Spec sheets are irrelevant

Sadly my car is a 1700lbs pigfat...

2000 lbs is where I draw the "too pigfat" line.

caning the shit out of cars that were always meant for grandmas to go shopping in is the best fun

>2000lbs
>-1 metric ton

Already way to pigfat for fun.

For a daily driver with air conditioning, power doors/locks, heated seats, etc. 1800-2000 lbs is not that bad. Any heavier though is too much

>air conditioning
>power doors
>central locks
>heated seats
What do you need that shit for?
That´s less money on gas, tires and parts.

Sadly my car is a 850kg pigfat with power steering, heater and rear seats and a radio.

mainly for girls

bitches be miring

It's an AE86, just a Levin

Absolutely dude. It sounds like you have a lot of work to do to get it back in shape but making it comfortable to drive is a step in the right direction. If you look forward to driving it you'll be more apt to do fun things in it

Small/compact, simple, easy to fix, easy to drive, has little yet very pleasing details, doesnt have tons of shit that keeps breaking, manual trans, low displacement engine.