The Camry's and Avalon are putting out more HP than their "sports car"

>people also search for "sports car"

They're trying to capture the spirit of a cheap RWD corolla

with a rebadged subaru BRZ instead of a cheap RWD corolla

>$27k
>CHEAP

>20K CAMRY HAS MORE HP

>because it's all about the horsepowers

>gain half a car length in a corner with muh handling meme, but that's not the point of good cornering technique, it's so you can get on the throttle sooner and BTFO the other guy on the straight
>get on the throttle
>nothing happens

>cheapest sports car in its segment that's not a Miata
>has ~20 HP more than the Miata and a factory hard top
>RWD and easily modifiable with an aftermarket scene that is specifically endorsed by the manufacturers

ITS LITERALLY AN ATTEMPT TO BRING A SILVIA EQUIVALENT TO AMERICA STOP FUCKING COMPLAINING THE S13 S14 AND S15 WERE PIECES OF SHIT STOCK BUT THE POINT WAS NEVER TO KEEP THEM STOCK

REEEEEEEE FUCKING GO BACK TO EUROPE AND DRIVE BORING FWD SHITBOXES

That camry is FWD with a CVT or slushbox and weighs almost a thousand pounds more.

This is what I really hate about american car culture. Let me preface this by saying that I like Americans, I like the idea of the USA, and I do like how big, influential and healthy car culture in the US still is compared to the cuck culture of the EU. I can appreciate it all, even the oval racing that's often percieved as a sign of stupidity or primitivism.

But it's like Americans have this overwhelming obsession about horsepower and zero to sixty times that appears to have the power to cloud every aspect of their judgment. Like an OCD patient that is highly uncomfortable going down the stairs without a specific ritual of skipping a particular stair, an average American is highly uncomfortable knowing that he's in a sports car that can be beaten in a straight line by something in a similar price range.

The symbol of this illness is one of the most iconic cars ever to come from the USA, one that was created by taking a very light chassis and dropping the biggest possible engine in it, completely ruining the handling characteristics, just to get the revered straight line speed and satisfy the autism.

I really don't understand it, what the fuck is the problem? It's a 200hp car with a fairly reliable 2.0 NA engine that can rev, is not particularly big or heavy and has a great weight distribution. Over all of that, it's built for fun and oversteer and challenge and attacking the corners. Can you really dismiss all of that just because some fat landboat has a veeayte that will pull it faster in a straight line?

Easy user

They literally drive their cars a quarter mile at a time, in a straight line. They don't know what a twisty mountain road is. In their perception a Camry handles exactly the same as an 86.

You are generalizing far too much. Not all American car enthusiasts care about straight line speeds. There are plenty who care more about weight and balance cornering ability.

I didn't want to generalize, but a LOT of Americans seem to think this way, Veeky Forums is full of guys like that.

250whp would have been perfect honestly.

>implying a Camry does not stay grounded to the ground.

NO YOU
IVE BEEN WAITING LITERAL DECADES FOR A RWD CAR THAT CAN HANDLE TWISTIES, IS SOLD IN THE US MARKET, WITH HEAVY AFTERMARKET SUPPORT, AND NOT A FUCKING MIATA
I am TIRED of muscle

But who will buy a $27K car and slap a $5K turbo with another grand in decent tires and maybe more in other parts to just barely have a decently fast car when you could just buy a Corvette instead? These Toyobarus will be a great deal in another ten years when you can get un-raped ones for dirt cheap but buying this car new is fucking retarded even if you can afford it since there are better options

>in another ten years when you can get un-raped ones for dirt cheap
Just you watch how I sell mine in stock condition for more than I've paid for it in a couple years.

Cause our roads are straight and roomy. It's that simple. Also, almost 50 years of "muscle cars" means this is ingrained in our culture. I could literally take your post change a few words here and there and ask what is the obsession Euros have with slow cars that can corner. We just don't give a shit about that. Not everybody likes high-revving engines. I'll sacrifice some horsepower if it means being one stab of the throttle away from peak power at any RPM

nice generalities m8. Have fun with your commie countrieswhere any engine above 2.0 liters is taxed out the wazoo. You seem jelly that you'll literally never be able to afford something that is as fast as cars that start at 25k here.
>ive never added power to my car
>changed out the entire suspension twice
>go whine somewhere else

You have become the baby boomer. All hope is lost

>"no tire kickers, non negotiable, I KNOW what I have"

You're terminally delusional if you think stock Toyobarus will be common or even available for reasonable money in 10 years. So many of them are being irreversibly converted into fartcan ricecookers or ruined on racetracks.

Yeah no.

The wholesale for them is already under 5k

The same people who did the shit with Silvia's
The same people who built 2JZs
The same madmen who push SOHC Honda engines to close to 1,000 HP
You know, people who like cars, not people who like status symbols

Depends on where you live I guess. I know sometimes it's hard to tell if a car's stock unless you pop the hood open (and even then) but most ones I see either look completely stock or have stickers on the back window and a 4 inch muffler (not even a catback or anything). I still haven't seen a yoloflush one or one that made the classic obnoxious BOV sound. Though I have to admit car culture is pretty much non existent where I live

What is GM thinking here?

The Silverado's are putting out more HP than their "muscle car"

>people also search for 'can GM compete?'

Ah yes, the old "only boomers like Corvettes" "the only car enthusiasts buy Japanese cars" "you literally don't like cars unless your car has a 4 banger and a park bench wing and comes from Japan" argument. Now that they're affordable plenty of people take their C5 to racetracks and LS engines have lots of potential

Stoplight racing dicklets.

>The Camry's and Avalon are putting out more HP than their "sports car"
And?

>What is GM thinking here?

They're thinking, "hey, what if, what if, like, we offered not one, but THREE engines on our sport car and even more in our trucks?"

;^) America wins again

Over here you're looking at a minimum of 17 grand for an autotragic with 80,000 miles.

SeeIt doesn't matter much where you live, especially with your anecdotal evidence. In the entirety of the USA, wholesale prices for these cars are already under 5k. They are almost completely worthless already. Hell, Carmax will sell you one with under 30k miles for 15k burgerbucks.

Expand your search outside of whatever flyover state you live in because that is not the current market norm.

[citation needed]

I'm not a Burger and I'm searching country-wide. I could sell mine right now and get 2 grand more than what I've paid for it last year, very very easily. Prices for first gens actually went up after the facelift went on sale.

I don't care if you think my country is irrelevant, what I said is true, deal with it.

>Eighty-Six
>>Eighty
>>>y
Filthy gaijin

Toyota Yasoroku :^)

Carmax, amigo. Cheapest BRZ I found in my area was 18k for 40k odo and that's a BRZ.

These cars are still popular enough with young people hat you have to be vigilant about checking carmax every morning. The deals like I mentioned are snatched up within hours of their posting. The reason there are so many in the 16-18k range is because the people that are looking for them KNOW that cheaper ones will come by frequently, they just have to wait.

Source : carmax sales manager.

Artificial inflation, saddam

As an American I agree with you, but what are you on about with the Shelby Cobra? They dropped a bigger engine in the AC Cobra to make it win races internationally. Not to pander to some rednecks with a small-dick complex. And doing that worked. The Shelby Cobra was highly competitive and often dominant.

Go ahead and tell me where you live and I will pull up our worldwide auction data for you. Then I'll show you how exactly what you're thinking isn't the case. Remember, just because you see people asking for it doesn't mean they're actually getting it. That's the number 1 reason personally assigned values aren't a good sounding rod.

No you stupid faggot you asked a question and I have an answer. You wanted to compare a fucking corvette to a toyoburu as if it was anywhere near a fair comparison.
btw, the 2JZ is an i6, and there's literally nothing wrong with a corvette.
But if your options are a toyo or a vette you obviously are not the age demographic that it was made to sell to, cause insurance is kind of an issue for a younger guy who wants a sporty car. Not so much for an older one.
Is the vette cheaper to insure?

Germany

What part? I'll narrow it down even further unless you want info for the whole country, I'm which case give me a few mins.

I'd rather have more torque. That said, if there's tons of torque AND HP, then you've got yourself a winner.

Haha, als ob es vom Bundesland abhängt. Meine Güte.

I think you hit the nail on the head on this, but on this board people are either bantering or shitposting. Honestly, shitposting on all boards is getting a little overboard.

You only think it's expensive because it isn't 30 years old.
It costs as much as cheap sports cars have always cost.
>hp makes sports car
learn to drive.

Currently there's not a single car I'd have over the gt86.
And I was offered one for free.
Went for something 10 years old because I don't feel bad when it gets beat up.

>You are generalizing far too much. Not all American car enthusiasts care about straight line speeds. There are plenty who care more about weight and balance cornering ability.
It's rare as fuck.
>assholes laughing at some guy getting a v6 mustang because its not VEE EyTE
>when someone says "steering wheel is an optional extra in muscle cars" they bring out how modern american muscle outhandles elises n shit

Fuck americans.
I am in an american car group and they all drive tougay and are cool af.
99% of american Veeky Forums believes rolling coal, big trucks that never get taken offroad, vee eyete and drag racing is the pinnacle of car culture.

gt86 is a fantastic goddamn car. Everyone but benchracers and autotragic vee eyets on Veeky Forums think so

Well fuck you to Satan, we are deporting your ass back to Mexico.

Literally everyone who likes reliable, well handling light sportscar with fantastic controls.

I'm in europ, where people think drag races are only good as part of tuning and where automatics are mostly found parked in the handicap spot. Guess how many corvettes I've seen? A couple of stingrays. At american car show.
Guess how many classic muscles and new muscles I've seen?
A couple.
Guess how many gt86's I've seen?
Shitload. It's even the official car at our local track. A gt86. Not a corvette.
Because american """""sports cars"""" are retarded and unreliable.
What good is it if you can beat a GTR in a quarter mile if you need to do 20k worth of repairs after a run.

>It's even the official car at our local track
Quite frankly, that's mainly because it's slow and easy to drive. For the majority of drivers the engine is the limiting factor to speed, not grip or driver skill.