Roguelike general /rlg

>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Roguelike News:
New version of Dungeon on the Everchanging Released!
Basically ADoM meets Brogue, with the best of both worlds.

New IVAN update: 0.5.8, adds a new dungeon, a new win condition, new god effects, new items and bugfixes.

github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua

Previous thread: You lazy fucks.

Other urls found in this thread:

nethackwiki.com/wiki/Trap_(Slash'EM_Extended)#Nasty_traps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1. How do I get in there
2. How do I not get brutally murdered?

There is a necklace of Bloodlust in there and I want it.

First for "I faulted at the same time the thread faulted."

It happened on the turn I entered the zone. Are instadeaths like this normal in Qud?

>when the pinchy winchy is just right

On the translucent wall, use a wand of digging (and/or disintegration if you're pre-trunk).

Oklob plants don't deal a tremendous amount of damage by themselves, but 4 of them could really mess you up. That'd be semi-dangerous even for an endgame character with rCorr. Still, they can't move. If you find yourself getting fucked, you can run/blink/tele away, literally just around the corner.

I personally don't think a Necklace of Bloodlust would be worth all that trouble, though.

What's a roguelike where I can have time manipulation powers?

That did the trick.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough INT to equip it.

Is the CoQ guide still relevant or have patches changed anything?
Just wondering, since I'm starting the game for my first time today.

Neat. Game?

ToME4

Sadly the game itself is not that amazing, but it has some neat classes.

let's see:
-there are 2 more earlygame quests available in Joppa (one from the Zealot and one from the random shrine)
-both shortblades and longswords have had their skill trees reworked/buffed since that guide was written. longblades are no longer the shittiest weapon type, and max agi dual shortblades is just fine as a primary offense
-tinkering was also changed a bit.in addition to straight up crafting items you can also now find "mod" recipes that let you add bonuses to pre-existing equipment

PCB
timelords don't really have time manipulation powers in the sense of time travel and shit
they can zap monsters with time spells that have a chance to do shit like devolve monsters to weaker forms, but the only real time manipulation they get is the lategame double-move spell that just immediately gives them an extra turn

>-there are 2 more earlygame quests available in Joppa (one from the Zealot and one from the random shrine)
Should I do them before, after or while doing the red rock one? Basically, what's the ideal progression route through the quests?
>-both shortblades and longswords have had their skill trees reworked/buffed since that guide was written. longblades are no longer the shittiest weapon type, and max agi dual shortblades is just fine as a primary offense
Are cudgels and axes still preferred though?

Thanks, buddy.

The mechanics that were inspired in Dungeons of Everchange from the P&P RPG Dungeon World is kinda cool. Hope it doesn't get abandoned.

I think all the weapon skills are good now. Maybe cudgels are the least useful?
Longswords are pretty skillpoint-intensive though so maybe not the best choice for low-int characters, and shortblades are kind of point-costly as well because you are gonna want to take dual-wielding skills with them

>Finally get a scroll of acquirement on D13
>Wish for armor since my drops have been sub par
>Get a hat
>Not even magical
>+0 Hat

did you beat meshera alpha yet /rlg/?

I wish the OP was the non-faggot one instead of the memespouting faggot.

Are there any roguelikes available for vita or 3ds homebrew?

Shiren and One Way Heroics MC for the Vita.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and EO MD for the 3DS.

That's all I can think of.

I told you I wouldn't forget, Nodens.

Should've learned heal self, Morgoth.

Blink/lucky tp/passage or wallpass, forgot whats it called/wand of digging or disintegration if yuore pre trunk
But youll mostlikely die in a few hits unless your bulky and prepared

what does a
>you feel nervous
message mean in poschengband

so I killed a unique and got a
>you feel your luck is turning...
so I assume the 'feel' messages are about what's on the current floor?

thankyou user

yeah
the level feeling is a combination of how good the loot is and how dangerous/OOD the monsters are (those two things are tied together)

additionally if the level feeling is "special" it means there's an artifact or a big vault around

And the Plain Gold Ring is finito, donezo, kaput. Enemies just can't handle all this manastorming.

Except for Talos. Fuck that guy.

thanks. another question- how does the pet mechanic work?
i purchased a capture ball, do i just throw it at something desirable like a baby dragon?

you don't throw it actually, you wield it in your hand and 'A'ctivate it

just like real poke mans, the chance to capture something is better the lower its hp is
unlike real poke mans, you keep the ball if you fail to catch something, so you can keep trying forever

who is the amy people keep posting about

amy bluescreenofdeath, developer of the world's best nethack fork and gay german foot fetishist

no one is posting about it except (You)

nethackwiki.com/wiki/Trap_(Slash'EM_Extended)#Nasty_traps

im sorry but the OBJECTIVELY best trap is the sexy farting butt trap

is ananias worth to try and why?

How do we make polearms great again?

Is Let it die a rouge like? or should i just get the fuck out?

Is it just me or acsii version of dcss is much better?

fuckin vegetarian : /

>Is Let it die a rouge like?

Fuck no.

If it's not turn-based or grid-based, it kind of automatically is a roguelite at best. But Let It Die really only is "like Rogue" for semi-procedurally generated levels and player ghosts. Otherwise, its main focus is being a hack-n-slash game.

>nethack has a glaive and a guisarme but no guisarme-glaive
>it has a bill-guisarme but no billhook
>"spear" and "lance" are separate skills from polearms

>billhook
Monica Lewinsky?

Only if you have low HP. But yes, enemies can do lots of damage in one turn in an area from a long distance away; that's what happens when casting Fireball is as easy as pulling a trigger.

>can't keep the aralgeean dinasty's name high because I'm eotking
Profound sadness.

Hi everybody, I'm currently working on a rogue-like RPG and I was wondering how I should do magic and traps.

Should players be able to detect traps or should trap-detection be based on solely on the player's skill points?

Also I don't like the idea of having magic based around a mana system with regenerating mana (especially if a game has heal spells) since a wizard will have an 'unlimited' amount of fire balls he can cast but an archer doesn't have an unlimited amount of arrows. I was thinking of using a regent system in which a wizard will need to use magical artifacts in order to cast magic where the artifacts have a given amount of charges.

What do you guys think about these ideas?

refer to

there's already a general mate, browsing it right now

qud instadeaths aren't really a thing unless you're running around the deathlands
(dont run around the deathlands)

but grenade damage doesn't scale with level at all, and so if you are unlucky enough for a random enemy to spawn with a grenade while you're level 1 you might be fucked

IIRC they made low-level enemies much less likely to have grenades and shit in the more recent versions

you could just give the archer unlimited arrows

>my first character that lived beyond 8th level of dungeon
>cleared the lair/orcish mines/dungeon
>time to do lair branches
>a dark feeling over looms me that my character is going to die soon
I just want to accomplish something
I'm not ready to lose another adventurer, not after all of this progress

If you feel like you're going to start badplaying, make a new character and splat that, then go back to the good character, take a count of all the panic button shit you have, write it down either on paper or in a txt file, and then the next time things are looking even slightly dangerous, refer to the list of panic buttons.

What do you think about this guys?
Vampire confused and killed me, but I think I was pretty good warrior.
Anything I could do better?
I had also a Book of Control.

Jesus fuck, you need to really hate yourself to play this game.

with no MR and no identified !curing you probably shouldn't have fought the vamp in the first place

also i dont know if you know this but you're playing a pretty old version, the most recent crawl release was version .19

I like this version...
Anyway thank you and I'm gonna beat this game!

this actually sounds like a good idea, thanks user

It's really comfy.

I wish I knew how to make PuTTy look like that.

Man, I want to win yet another historical /rlg/ combo like MuMo, or >10 conducts vampire convict, but nightmare mode PCB is just fucking bullshit.
Everything is hasted, has double HP and hits harder. Do you understand what it means to fight a 60 K hp serpent of chaos?

What's the closest thing, Edain morgoth killer?
But tons of people have done that already.
I need a new goal. Or a stronger meme combo than yeek Psion.

Hint

Lazy snotling tourist is a classic

>dda
Really Bad Day + Tweaker + Wander Spawn + Dynamic NPC + Surrounded Start

elona snail race ported to some poschengpseudoelli-R variant when

0 death felid of Chei 15 rune on trunk. That's all. It can't be that hard amirite

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19.1 (tiles) character file.

6516 knifebutton the Cleaver (level 10, -5/90 HPs)
Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Jan 16, 2017.
Was an Elder of Okawaru.
Succumbed to a profane servitor's poison
... while paralysed
... on level 1 of the Abyss.
The game lasted 00:24:00 (7569 turns).

knifebutton the Cleaver (Minotaur Fighter) Turns: 7569, Time: 00:24:01

Health: -5/90 AC: 20 Str: 22 XL: 10 Next: 69%
Magic: 10/12 EV: 2 Int: 5 God: Okawaru [****..]
Gold: 217 SH: 0 Dex: 13 Spells: 0 memorised, 9 levels left

rFire + . . SeeInvis . a - +12 war axe {flame, +Fly rC+++ MR- Dex+3}
rCold + + + Gourm . J - +0 plate armour
rNeg . . . Faith . c - +0 large shield
rPois . Spirit . (helmet restricted)
rElec . Reflect + I - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr . Harm . g - +0 pair of gloves
MR ..... (no boots)
Stlth .......... i - amulet of Bodily Harmony {Reflect +Blink rF+ rC+ MR+ SH+3}
(no ring)
q - ring of flight

@: paralysed, lethally poisoned (-5 -> -108), exhausted, heroism,
non-regenerating, mildly diseased, slowed, wreathed by umbra, drained
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, cold resistance 1, weak 1
a: Heroism, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink, Evoke Invisibility, Evoke Flight

You were on level 1 of the Abyss.

i fucking KNEW that run was goign way too well. l pick up that axe right next to a large sheild. Clear floor. Stairs. RIGHT NEXT TO THE STAIRS IS AN ORC MAGE. use hero. get banished. Die.

I've already thought of the challenge title by the way: Cats Against Kiting and 3 rune shitters (C.A.K.3)

In Crawl, what is the special property of blunt weapons if any? Like swords have riposte and axes have cleave etc.

Nothing. A waste of design space.

Raw damage

POST THE SHEET OF THE CHARACTER YOU ARE PLAYING WITH RIGHT NOW
NO EXCUSE YOU FAGGOT JUST TAKE A SCREENSHOT AND POST THAT SHIT

>27 throwing and +9 blowgun with needles of sleeping against literally every archdemon
Holy shit
this is broken

meant paralysis

Got through Swamp and got my first rune ever!

there you go
congratulations my man
I'm about to get my first rune too
I just need to clear one more floor to get to the sweet swamp rune

>crawl
I'm collecting historical wins for each game, user. With MuMo you can write DCSS out.
>DDA
There's no win condition.
That would be a first.
I'd rather nightmare Psion though. At least I don't feel completely useless in the late game.

It's fucking easy. Give them bash chance.

I died. That' sad

Is Irradiate any good? Vehu gives it to me but not sure if i should memorize.

Sounds like an excuse for chickening out. It's okay you don't have to force yourself.

What would that do? Additional damage is boring while a stun is problematic. It's not easy.

sure it is, make M&F negate some AC. a club negates next to nothing, while a giant spiked club turns plate into leather.

nice, PGR is nasty

>additional damage is boring

AC reduction does nothing to any enemies not wearing armor, so it's not a flat damage bonus, it's circumstantial. Do you switch from your war axe to your flail when you come across an orc warrior wearing chain? interesting tactical decision, since you will have some M&F skill from training axes, you will be able to use the flail effectively, but is the damage bonus worth switching?
>hurr de durr AC reduction means +5 damage across the board

>but is the damage bonus worth switching?
Sadly, the answer is going to be that nobody knows because crawl damage formulas.

Almost everything has AC so it's just additional damage thus boring.

maybe the devs should fix the game so not everything has AC as a crutch to make up for bad AI programming, then

But the game is already too easy even if everyone has AC. Actually, no matter how many new dangerous monsters the devs add, people still label Crawl as too easy, regardless of irony and credibility.

First and second rune on the same run! Before this I hadn't even cleared Lair.

>wielding something with MR-
>expecting not to get assraped by magic effects

FAULT

Holy shit and you sound like uber dork.

its in SLEX already

permanent AC redaction
And it stacks

um this is clearly a axe ability??
havent u played qaves of cud ?!