Lotus is making a fucking SUV

Is no company safe? Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, Bentley, Probably Rolls Royce and Ferrari next.

What the fuck is wrong with people? Why does every sports car and exotic have to be a laughable pigshit crossover now? You don't need the extra space or ground clearance in a car like this.

It's a Lotus for fucks sake.

Other urls found in this thread:

popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/a5734/porsche-cayman-lotus-evora-comparison-test/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Implying lotus is any different than a Toyota.

It's where the market is

But why? It's fascinating but infuriating. And you know this SUV won't be available in manual because your average person doesn't have any clue why cars are desirable to own or drive. It's all in the badge for them maybe?

There's got to be some societal/economic/cultural reason people are buying so many crossovers.

>won't be available in manual
>It's all in the badge for them maybe?
So the only positive thing a car can offer is a manual transmission? I guess comfort and reliability don't matter. Personally I like crossovers because they offer the sportiness of a sports car but are more daily driver friendly.

>So the only positive thing a car can offer is a manual transmission?
That's not what I'm strictly saying, but the point of an exotic performance car is to enjoy driving it. It's hard to believe anyone who is so interested in niche sports cars would drive them with an automatic. It defeats the point, it detracts from the experience.

It's true that comfort and reliability matter too, but the people who can afford cars from these brands usually own more than one car. A Lotus is not a daily driver. It's a spartan, extreme- lightweight track focused car. They're not supposed to be comfortable or practical in any way.

> I like crossovers because they offer the sportiness of a sports car
If this isn't bait, can you explain why you believe this? Crossovers are heavy and ungainly as fuck. So not fast and they don't handle well...

Well, they're easier to get into and out of because you don't have to stand up and sit down by as much, they're bigger inside which you need for the modern fat piece of shit butt, you sit higher which makes you feel safer (along with more stuff being between you and the outside) and it's way easier to make them meet the more lenient SUV emissions regulations and the complete horseshit safety regulations for all cars, so they're cheap, but they're priced like a much larger and more capable SUV that used the name currently on the crossover, so they're profitable. And most people don't care about the numbers that dictate how fast it can go and never take it off road, so it can be slow AND incapable of handling trails, and still sell because it's got a gorillion buttons and glowy lights inside it.

soccer moms dictate the market now.
everything will be a pigfat hybrid/electric crossover within 10 years

I've never met a soccer mom that was into Lotuses. Sounds hot as fuck though

When you realize crossovers are rated on insurance the same way a station wagon is.

> tl;dr Insurance companies drive the market.

>Personally I like crossovers because they offer the sportiness of a sports car but are more daily driver friendly.
What? They're not as fast or as easy to maneuver as a sedan, all you get is higher ride height

more space then a wagon tho

less then a minivan however

Probably meant for the retarded princes of nothing but sand and oil over in the gulf states, those retards will buy anything with a fast badge.

this is supposed to pay for other lotus cars,just like every other company is doing,lotus isn't a rich company and doing something like this is pretty much essential for them to stay alive
if you're not being forced to drive one i don't see the problem,let them make what they want to make

why do you care what they drive?
how does it in affect you in anyway?

>rebadged chinkshit

If chinkshits pay you millions to fuck with their spring rates for half an hour and use your badge, you're having the last laugh.

>It's a Lotus for fucks sake

Remember when Lotus made a supercar out of the shittiest Opel they could find?

> You don't need the extra space or ground clearance in a car like this.

You do. Makes grocery shopping much easier.
Or do you actually think people buy those for track performance?

Because Lotus is fucking dead if they don't make a car that sells. Besides, it might possibly turn out to be not shit.

This thing grilled bmws like they were nothing

Ahem

because it brings in shit-tons of money which they can then spend on making other things

that's pretty much why everyone is doing it nowdays.

win-win for everyone, soccer moms and old men get their grocerymobiles and the engineers get a bigger budget for whatever they actually want to make

Chinks have no car culture besides the past decade. All they've ever seen is SUVs, they probably think sports cars are strange curiosities, the same way Americans think of cars like the Caterham or anything else with fewer than 6 cupholders.

>Irmscher 4.0 makes 270hp
>Lotus Omega 3.6 Twin Turbo makes 377hp
Not even in the same postal code

Wouldn't mind either though,
the 4.0 would have been GOAT in the Omega B.

remember when they slapped a 'handling by lotus badge' on anything for loose change

not all lotuses have to be stripped out track monsters. even the evora is pigfat.

Rolls Royce landboats are basically SUVs already anyway lmao.

They really should have dropped the LT5 in one

>Isuzu by Lotus
>Yet another round of GM circle-jerking

That was done during Lotus' dark days when GM was at the helm.

At least Lotus are designing their own SUV by themselves, albeit with the Malaysians pulling the strings, rather than what General Motors' Saab had to put up with when they were told to smarten up with the Chevy Trailblazer.

Ugh. I remember my dad having its British counterpart; the Vauxhall Cavalier. Despite being the same car, it was somehow even more boring.

Luckily I never drove it but I still remember my dad complaining about its understeer being so bad, one of its front wheel trims popped off.

>even the evora is pigfat

the CEO of Lotus talked about how adding a cup holder added a "shameful kilogram"

uhh
saw one in SF the other day

>even the evora is pigfat
Take it back.

>Evora
>Pigfat

You stop that now.

It's a lot lighter than the cayman which is it's competition

It's obviously some chink company putting a Lotus badge on one of its products because it managed to get the rights to exploit the Lotus name in some 3rd world country. Aren't all those cars in the background Malaysian Protons or some shit?

80 lb isn't a lot lighter when you consider the cayman S has 40 more hp and is cheaper too

popularmechanics.com/cars/reviews/a5734/porsche-cayman-lotus-evora-comparison-test/

>cup holder weighs a kilogram
Is it made from fucking steel?

I think the guy is making a point that Lotus, a company known for making light cars, has to put mod-cons in their cars, despite how he considers them impractical. Even if they are, basically a hole in some plastic.

its not just the cupholder, apparently the addition of the cupholder required other structural interior changes, which added a kilogram

The cayman is it's competiton and 80lb is a lot. Cars aren't built with excess metal everywhere these days.

see

>wahhhhh! A car manufacturer made a car I don't like! How is this allowed! They should only make cars I like! I mean yeah I'm not going to buy once but still..
OP you're such a fucking cuck it's unbelievable

>fuck brand identity
You think Ferrari should come out with an economy hatchback next?

that would be so rad

>be Porsche
>keep to some old retarded idea like rear-engined car
>almost go bankrupt in the process
>make 'idiotic' SUV
>it literally prints money
>triple the revenue, profit and worth of the company in 10 years
>make enthusiast cars as side project so good petrolheads can praise enough
>considered the best carmaker today
>all thanks to SUVs

Now that i think about it, it really would be fucking rad. Although imagine all the boomers and wannabes telling everyone they have a FERRARI BRUH.

I still hate the Cayenne. It just looks like a obese 911 with a liftkit. And even though it didnt ruin their reputation, it still sticks out like a stain of vomit on their wonderful line-up. At least theres the Panamera to join it as a slightly smaller stain of vomit.

Cayenne is a very, very capable offroader, though.

Sincerely,
/ORG/

>Cayenne is a very, very capable offroader, though.

>sidesinorbit.png

Add tractor tyres and a lift kit and it may just about go where a boggo SJ413 can...

But it won't. Ever.

Chelsea Tractor all night and all day. Then into Barry's or Pajeet's or Tyrone's hands to be blinged and neglected to death.

>In Germany they use them as minicabs.

Have you ever even been in one?
Because your the one thats sounding like bait.
Even the BMW X handles and speeds really good and it wasnt even the M!

>more space than a wagon
Not really unless it's a big ass 3 row crossover
By then it's more of an SUV than a crossover though

Looks like a Honda HR-V

inb4 C63

Selling to niche markets alone does not keep your doors open.

They were experimenting with putting an LS into the Omega B, but they found it couldn't handle long periods of WOT on the Autobahn without overheating so it never made it to production.

Then the platform got sent to Australia to form the basis for the VT, VX, VY and VZ Holden Commodores and the first thing the Aussies did was drop an LS into it.

I could not put my finger on it, but seriously the lotus is a lot uglier for an almost replicated design

The only SUV-ey hatchback-ey car that looks nice.

And even then it looks a bit naf. At least it's no GLC coupe

Why do all ""luxury sports crossovers"" have the same front bumper