/dmt/ daily manual thread

Any other new manual drivers here?

I think I am having a hard time because I have only driven Auto for years.

I think I have up shifting down but what's the best way and when to shift down?

What's the physical process for shifting down? Say to start driving for a slower speed due to a turn or speed limit change

>want to buy a manual
>only ever driven auto
>don't know anyone with a manual who can teach me

So my options are paying for lessons, or having my first time driving a manual be right off the lot in a new car.

I'm fucked, aren't I?

There are tons of videos on youtube mate there's hope!

New manual driver here too, and I have pretty much everything down, but I was wondering how bad it is to not blip the throttle on every downshift.
I'm too tall to heel-toe, so if I want to steadily decelerate quickly, I'll slowly let out the clutch while sometimes braking.
I like rowing through the gears, so I don't like rev-matching with no slowing down, braking, rev-match again while having to stop decelerating while I rev match, etc etc.

Letting out the clutch with no gas takes this problem away for me, but I don't want noticeable premature clutch wear.

Most drivers (women especially) just put the clutch down and brake to the speed they want before selecting a gear.

Better drivers brake until the revs drop below ~1.5k then change drop two gears and slowly release the clutch while braking ignoring rev-matching

Only a few drivers give the throttle gas while braking, it's not really that big of a deal unless you are driving a pre2000s car.

>tfw I heel toe everywhere and rev match religiously because I'm completely autistic

so when braking to downshift you gotta keep an eye out more on the revs than the speed?

I am driving a pre2000s car tho
Try not to look specifically for numbers, just feel it. Speed can be used like revs anyway, just like you could think "Oh I'll stall if I let it get under 800rpms", you can think "Oh I'll stall if I get under 20 mph in third", but you shouldn't be checking the specifics anyway.

Buy a manual and have it towed to your house

I can feel when I need to upshift

but how would I 'feel' the need to downshift without it seeming like it would be too late. like am I supposed to wait and feel the stall shake to start coming before I downshift?

The reply is right about it becoming a feeling but the reason you shift is because:
1. If the revs drop lower your may stall.
2. If you change to a lower gear the engine will slow the car more effectively.
3. You don't want to leave the car in neutral. (Among other reasons the brakes get power from the engine when in gear).

you should downshift once you feel the engine breaking effect decrease to the point wherein it is no longer effective.
on the street maybe 1.5k, on the track 4k, really depends on your engine and gearing

Rev matching is different in every car and in every gear, but I will give an example. In my 1990 volvo 240, at 40 mph I will rev the engine to 4k rpm to match to speed and let out to the clutch.

The most important thing about rev matching in learning where you engine wants to be at a certain speed.

That's probably the best course of action, desu. Or I could just ask to have it delivered by the dealership, and they can probably just drive it over with less hassle.

I'm boning up on my research as best I can, user.

>Steps to git gud at stick
>Written by a drunk burger

Step 0(Empty space)
>Find an empty parking lot or somewhere with lots of space for you to fuck around
>Even better if it has a flat section and a slight hill somewhere
>Find spectators so they can laugh as you fail to do the next steps

Step1 (Learn bite point)
>let out clutch slowly till car starts to creep forward
>Get car moving on flat surface without using throttle
>Do this without stalling out

Step 2 (Throttle control)
>Now that you know where clutch grabs
>Same as step one but use throttle this time
>Slowly add throttle as you are letting clutch out (how much throttle depends car to car)
>Repeat until you can go from stopped to moving without being jerky as fuck

Step 3 (Hill Starts)
>Learn to do step 2 while on an incline without rolling backwards
>This is pretty much the same as step 2 but you will roll backwards if you are not fast enough
>add throttle while getting to bite point quickly

(Bitchmode Hillstarts)
>Usehandbrake to prevent rolling backwards
>Same as step 3

Step 4 (Downshifting)
>Learn what the RPM difference between gears
>Learn to blip throttle for desired RPM
>Match RPM with gear you want
>Go down 1 gear (5th-4th/4th-3rd)
>I'm almost a racecar driver mode down 2 gears on one blip
>Practice till you can do this not jerky as fuck

Step 5(Pracetice Practice Practice)
>Go drive
>Go drive more
>Keep doing all these things till you can do them without thinking about it

Step 6 (I'm fucking Dagumi now)
>Now that you can drive and are not jerky as fuck
>Heel Toe Dopwnshift
>Same as step 4
>Left half of ball of foot on brake
>While pushing brake either roll side of foot to blip throttle or twist and use heel to blip throttle (depends on car and pedal distance/setup) do whatever works for you there isnt a right way to do it
>Get the gear you want
>you now down a gear/slowed down and ready to go WOT out of the turn.
>foot off brake and onto throttle

This thread again? Might s well assist this time.

I mostly down-shift in normal traffic when engine braking, I move the shifter to the middle, rev it a little, and put it into the appropriate gear. When I used to take it out for a midnight run, it's holding the brake, clutch, gas, down-shift, off clutch, and repeat until I'm going fast enough for the corner. Lift brake at the turn in, and you're good.

I can't brake-down-shift in normal traffic, however, and I don't know why. It either slows down too quickly for me to change gears, or I'm still going too fast to stop in front of the sign.

dude stop making this threads
driving manual its extreamly easy
watch a 3 minutes video on youtube and you are ready

>be me
>be about 13 hours ago

Friend flips cars out a rented shop. Playing vidya IRL split screen. Guy calls him up to buy a 95 corolla. Go to shop.

>50 year old black guy

guy has him pop the hood. guy leaves and comes back with 1k in cash. Signs paper work. Signs title. Legally his. Buyer gets in car to leave. Gets back out.

>we got a problem

Friend is thinking it won't shift into reverse or something. Buyer tells us he can't drive a manual.

Mfw.

Tldr friend doesn't want to hurt his shops name by forcing him to keep car. Making the buyer pay for transfer fees and such to get back in his name.

So if I understand, in America you can drive a manual car even if you never even tried to drive one?
Here if you got your driver's license on an auto, you can only drive auto cars.

This. It's not that hard to learn by actually driving.

haven't been driving manual long

how long did it take you guys to get decent at it.

I sort of have it down but it's not exactly smooth lol

also I have trouble in 1st and R when parking where I constantly stall out.

My confidence got completely shook when the day before I just was having trouble getting into my driveway and into the work parking lot after I unlocked the gate.

the slope isn't even that bad but I kept stalling out and made me feel really down after to though I was finally getting it. when all else failed I used my handbrake to get up.

Now I have this fear for fucking up in the road

>driving a manual is such a big deal in America it has it's own general on Veeky Forums

learning a manual EZ

you start out in easy mode, you make some mistakes, everyone does. better to go out to a big empty parking lot on sunday than practice during rush hour. stalling out does not kill the car. I would just turn on my emergency blinkers, car in neutral, restart the engine, start moving, turn off blinkers.

one day, instead of thinking about what to do, it will just become muscle memory...

do you remember hitting a hitting a ball with a bat or a racket? you miss a few times then it just starts to work. you no longer think about every move, your body just goes into motion

after time driving a stick will be like this. your ears will tell you when to shift and you will just do it without consciously thinking

then you get some good in-car coaching and work on more advanced skills, and soon they will become second nature too

if you drive a strange car you may have to adjust to a difference shift pattern or a clutch that engages differently, this adjustment will also become faster and easier as you gain experience and confidence

>coming up to red light
>slowing down, preparing to come to a full stop
>light turns green before I stop
>going too slow for 2nd, too fast for 1st

Been driving manual for a year, still don't know how to deal with this situation. Either I go into 1st and lurch, or go into 2nd and lug my engine.

Not saying it isn't, I just need an opportunity to quickly pick the skill up before I own one.

Tragic, isn't it? Of everyone I know, maybe only 3 are familiar and comfortable with stick.

lower the clutch pedal a bit, just enough not to stall, accelerate and slowly release the clutch pedal

forgot to say, stay in 2nd gear

Wait til you have a good few years under your belt, switch cars then start being paranoid about worn clutches all the time

I'll just leave this here

Don't worry, I gotchu.

how different are the roads between North America and everywhere else that most people just opt to drive automatic here?

I live on a flat plain with grids everywhere so I wonder if manual is even a good idea. Sounds fun though.

If my downshifts give off a bit of a jerk what am i doing wrong?

Am i lifting my foot off of the clutch too slowly or too fast

If I need to be at a high rpm to shift smoothly is something wrong with my trans? If I'm not it feels like I am moving my stick over a few rocks to get it in gear