About to pick out a car since my older one is costing too much in repairs

About to pick out a car since my older one is costing too much in repairs.
Any opinions on this exact car and price? Seems like a good deal?
Going to test drive it next week.

kbb.com/cars-for-sale/448056903/?totalresults=34&index=3&origin=index&atcmake=honda&atcmodel=civic&searchtype=all&zipcode=&year=2015&distance=150&tab=paymentcalculator

Seems okay but I'm sure you can find a better deal somewhere else

Good thinking

I will keep looking

I looked and I cant find a good deal :(

I've seen civics sell for close to 7k with the around the same mileage. They were a little older but Hondas are usually reliable and last a long time so I would go a lil older. The 2015 and 2016 models do look good though

depends on where you live but I wouldn't pay more than 11k for that.

Its definitely a nice car but at 42k miles for that price doesn't seem right. I'd look into it more, at 42k the civic doesn't need ANY big repairs at all beyond rotors, tires, brakes, etc.

I would only pay 11k if all those checked out

>cvt
Nope.

My 2015 hasn't had anything replaced on it but one set of tires and it has 65K miles on it.

yea definitely, check tire tread, check brakes and rotors. Brakes are like little erasers so if they look super thin you might be able to finagle the dealer into replacing them since its super cheap. Rotors unlikely need to be changed unless you notice their face has rust or wear OR if the brakes/rotors squeak while driving, turning or braking. Also check tire tread, don't buy a car with bald tires because thats like another 400 dollars you gotta shill out for then have them mounted and shit

Honda CVT's aren't shit like Nissans, it'll last easily into 150k miles like any other transmission

I think you replied to the wrong person m80

Yea I should've broken it up, agreeing with you on tires but the OP on what else to look for

No they are shit.
>step on accelerator
>car climbs to 4k rpm and just stays there
>RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee.....
Until you let off the pedal.
Subaru has the best cvts

The OP doesn't have any inclination to being a fucking street racing fag. He wants to go from A to B.

The CVT in his case will save him money in gas more than a traditional transmission

I was just making a point that my 2015 Honda civic has had nothing replaced on it but one set of tires. I need to put a new set on it because 4/32nds tread wear. My front rotors are a bit warped and I need to change the oil soon but that's it.

>>car climbs to 4k rpm and just stays there
You've never driven a newer civic m8 you can easily red line in a CVT but why would you when your torque band is lower in the RPM's?

>he thinks having a manual makes people street racing fags
Confirmed for faggot driving automatic

I didn't say that at all?

Jokes on you. I was the first one at my Honda dealership to pee delivery inspect the new 2016 in n/a and turbo model. I have driven these civics because I used to work at Honda.
They are droning boring pieces of garbage.

OP here. I live in the Midwest. Thanks for the advice so far. I'm going to check rotars, breaks and tires like suggested.
Im not very car savvy and this is why I'm asking here. I really do like the look of the car but I can't base my decision on ascetics. I'm not good at making decisions. I think I'm stupid, and I don't know anyone who knows about cars.

I drive a lot for work so need something reliable. Guess I'll keep looking. Someone said honda civics are boring so what, I'm driving to my job and back lol

He's not looking for a joy ride, literally just an A-B car that he doesn't have to dump repairs into.

What car? What have you fixed? What's wrong now?

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. I thought the civic coupe would be perfect for my 80 mile a day commute on the highway.
Im just having trouble finding a car I like. There are so many variables that go into getting a car it's sorta stressing me out

So just buy the civic it gets good mpgs

I have a Nissan sentra 05, I've had for a year. Replaced tires and got an alignment.
The belt squeaks, check engine light is on. I hear metal scrapping the faster I drive and my gasoline leaks while pumping.
Just not worth repairing since the car is only less than 1k trade in

Okay, I probably will buy it. Obviously I wanna see it in person first but it seems like a good price to me. Maybe I can talk them down after I test it.
I know it's a boring car but I like the look of the newer civics. I'm a boring person so it works out.

I just don't want to get ripped off and regret my decision on my first car purchase.

All easy fixes.

Those cars have a recall for the transmission.
It's the Cvt input shaft recall so beware to get the software updated in the transmission if you buy it.

I don't have that recall in my 2015 because my civic is manual. Bought brand new in 2015 for 18$K

STOP MAKING THESE FUCKING THREADS.

WE TOLD YOU TO GET IT FIXED AND KEEP IT.

>all easy fixes
>erroneous as fuck CEL
>a mechanic will charge out the ass just to get a diagnostic on it

>Those cars have a recall for the transmission.
This car shouldn't be affected so long as it has the software update for reducing the hydraulic pressure on the pulley shaft.

It would be as simple as pulling it into a honda dealership for the update even if he didn't have it

>buy 50$ code scanner
>scan code
>google said code
>replace part from Google
>clear code
Why is it so hard for you Normie's to fix your own problems?

because the knowledge isn't there. Its like computers in a way. People pay me fuck loads of money to diagnose what in reality is a "simple google-able problem"

but thats information for me to know and for other people to pay for. If I told everyone how to fix their simple little problems I wouldn't make money

no shit sherlock

Alright then whats the big deal with buying the civic?

>yfw I'm a mechanic too and I get paid 75$ each check engine light scan

I was letting op know about the recall. You were stating the obvious. Their is no problem

But is it worth fixing!?!?! I'm going crazy!! I just don't want to spend almost a grand when my car isn't even worth that much
I am crying now thanks

Don't fix it, just get a new car that won't have to fix all that shit for 70k miles, get the recall update and fuck off

I appreciate it. So if I get the civic take it to the nearby Honda place and ask about the update? Got it

yes

make sure you mention RECALL as thats very important

Replace your serpentine belt
Get your light scanned and google the problem
Replace your brakes.

That's all you need to do.
>gasoline leaks while pumping
Explain.

When I starting pumping gas it leaks underneath into a small puddle until I stop pumping

Wonder if they will charge.
But you think from the link in the OP I posted that the car I'm looking at is a good choice?

I have autism and this stuff is hard for me OK

We said to fix it or get a civic for 3k. Not get a civic for 11k. Any auto parts store will read the code for free

>Wonder if they will charge.
They won't, its a voluntary recall and if they ever attempt to try and charge you for it or something else while you're there, refuse the service.

Call the dealership first, ask them to schedule an appointment to get the car checked under Recall for the software update, be very explicit about it. When you go to the place, they should give you an invoice for what they intend on doing and they'll probably make you sign for it. Read that carefully and don't let them put anything ELSE on there that isn't for the recall unless its free obviously. For example when I took my car to get checked under warranty, they aligned my wheels and checked my fluids (for free) because thats just what they do

Fuel tank is cracked. Or a fuel line is cracked and I'll bet that's why your fucking check engine light is on because it's throwing a fucking evaporative emissions system leak. Holy fuck op get your shit together

I don't know what you mean by get my shit together.
Is it because I haven't done anything about the issue? I am just seeing if I'm going to get a newer vehicle before I spend money on repairing my shit box.

Also life is hard for me because I make bad decisions. I don't k ow how much that will cost to repair but why bother if I can get a newer car

just buy the 11k civic

Heres what you do

1. go to dealer ship
2. hey im interested in that gray civic for 11k
3. go for test drive
4. listen intently for things wrong, squeaks, unusual engine noises and other funny stuff
5. after test drive, look at brakes, rotors, tire tread
> brakes are like erasers, if they look super thin, ask to have them replaced in negotiation, don't buy it unless they do
>if rotors are rusted or you noticed squeaks on turns, regular driving or braking, ask to have them replaced, don't buy it unless they do
>check the tire tread with a penny. Put the penny in the tread and if you can see the top of Abe's forehead the tread is thin and you should ask to have them replaced. Don't buy a car with worn tires
7. if they're super anal about not doing any of that tell them to fuck off and go find another car
8. negotiate car below 11, I wouldn't pay 12k for the car
9. enjoy new car

OP have you looked at other cars? The Toyota Camry is a good car so is the corolla

We're you fucking spoon fed your whole life? How's living with your parents?
Yes that's what I mean. You refuse to correct any issue with your current vehicle so you just want to give up on it and buy another car. I hate people like you. DONT LET SHIT GO UNFIXED BECAUSE THEY TURN INTO BIGGER PROBLEMS
with that being said just get rid of your shitty Nissan and buy the civic and learn to fix your own car and get your shit together.

Im taking your advice. Going to have this thread saved for tomorrow so I can make sure I get everything down.
Hope it's in good condition for the interior and exterior. Hard to tell with these pics.
I'll take my dad and have him drive it too so I can get a second opinion.

Thank you user again for the advice!!

>I'll take my dad and have him drive it too so I can get a second opinion.
yes definitely take another person with you. Your dad can also help with negotiating. The dealership is unlikely to fuck with him and you as much as they would just you because you're young and alone

Sadly I sorta was spoon fed most of my life. I never really tried going out of my way to learn things on my own.
I don't know what's wrong with me, my dad has learning disability and maybe I inherited that from him...
Im going to get the civic and just try to be done with this whole thing. I'm going to also attempt to learn more about cars and repairing them. Never had an interest before so I know almost nothing. I'm worse than the average women with car knowledge I bet.

Hah true. It's my first time buying a car. I'm almost 25 but most say I look 18 so they would have a field day with me...

You just need to grow up. And stop worrying so much, you need to figure out life yourself your parents won't be there forever to help you.

Buy the civic and learn everything you can about it. Buy some tools and fix up your Nissan. Watch YouTube videos about cars and buy repair manuals. It's fun as fuck to fix shit and you will be the envy of your friends and your family will praise you for being the family mechanic

Last thing.

If you don't get EVERYTHING you wanted in the car, don't be eager and jump for it and get it. If they don't do everything on the list if it needs fixing or they won't go below 11k with you then don't buy it at all.

Here are some other cars to check out if this civic isn't for you

Honda Accord: Older models will be in your price range, more luxurious than a civic
Toyota Corolla: Literally the Civic of toyota's similar costs and configurations
Toyota Camry: Older models will be in your price range, more luxurious than a corolla

There are other civic-like sedans out there too. Don't be afraid to look into them but make sure you do your research about that car and car year in specific as there may be hidden details that people have come across that you might not want to deal with or how much maintenance usually goes into them