ATV thread

I'm buying a Polaris Outlaw tomorrow. I want to undertake a 2000km journey across Europe as soon as I learn to properly handle this thing.

Here's the rub, for some reason or another I have virtually zero experience with any form of automobile after getting my driver's license a few years ago.

What should I know?

>>What should I know?
Basically it's not a car and you're gunna need a lot of seat time before taking on a journey if that has any kind of power under it.

polaris is shit

Sounds fun, I'd love to do that, they're not legal here on the road and I haven't found a trail that long yet.

My 87 fourtrax foreman 350. I have an 86 as well, but it needs a jug and piston, it may be ready in time for the summer. I just picked up a 385cca battery for it from one of my jobs (advance auto has used car batteries for 40 and used advance to batteries for 20.) 25hp from 350cc in 1987 ain't to bad, and I may get a high compression piston, port the head, and run a 400ex carb on the 86 fourtrax.

Mileage is pretty good, the 86 used less gas then my friends yamaha 250. Of course the piston came apart because it was running so lean, but good mileage none-the-less. Wish there was a time in the summer when we could ride on the road wherever we wanted, would love to be able to set out for a day trip on the road.

Come onnnnn, show us your quads! What have you done to them? How awesome are they? Any more power then stock? Mud, sand, or dirt? Do you take them in the creek? Bought any new parts? Sport or utility?

>ATV
>long distance travel

ATV is a child's toy for playing around in the back yard. it's not meant to be taken on the roads or for touring.

>2k km journey
>valves need service every 500 km
nice plan doofus

OP here. First impression: the Outlaw rides like, well, an overpowered toy for playing
around in the back yard. Definitely not suitable for long distance travel, indeed. Besides, the seller seemed sketchy. Considering checking out a KVF 750 someone is selling in my area.

rookie mistake... thanks for the heads up asshole

Atleast get an ATV with street tires, stiffer shocks and lower ride height.

Still terrible long-distance vehicles

Here's my '98 Grizzly 600. Hell of a machine. Before it was mine, it was some okie's mud bogger. That clay never comes all the way off. Now I wheel around the woods and hills of southwest Missouri on it. Real useful for pulling shit in tight spaces and rough terrain. Its no skidder, but it does a pretty damn good job of dragging logs through the woods. I've used it to launch and retrieve small boats and jet skis from pond mud banks that I wouldn't have went near with a truck. Mighty pleased with it. Only mods I can see are the ITP wheels, 26x10-12 Pirelli Mudweisers, and modified brush guard from the PO, and my two ammo can face smasher storage systems on the front rack.

This is dumb. Why do you want to go long distance on an atv? Sport or utility flavor, ATVs are not road machines. Get a bike.

Very nice machine, sir. If you were closer to southeast Missouri or western KY I'd say come over for some riding today.

I like the ammo cans, I'm going to do something similar with an old mil toolbox except I'm going to try to mount an inverter, stereo headunit, cb and speakers inside.

I'm piston frag guy from above, not looking forward to replacing the jug and piston as I'll need to split the case to make sure all the piston chunks come out. You do all your own work or sub-it-out to a shop?

Thanks man, back at you. Those hondas are solid machines. They just seem to go and go. Unless the engine shits itself... Heh. Ain't been able to do any riding for quite a while, been sick for a real long time. Sure would be nice though.

Sounds like its gonna be a damn fancy toolbox. Put my cans to shame. They only got tools and straps and shit in em. They like to sweat on the inside if they get moisture in em, so you might keep that in mind if you try to waterproof your toolbox with all those electronics in it. Of course, I dont imagine you'll be stuffing too many wet tow straps in there with that stuff, but it might be something to think about I guess.

Yeah I do all my own work. That aint saying much though, toughest thing I've had to do to it so far in the few years I've owned it is replace a couple cv boots. Sounds like youve got some real work ahead of you though. At least its just a single cylinder motorcycle engine, right?

My license doesn't cover 2-wheelers so I can either buy a car which I feel less confident in doing because autism or get one of these fuckers. Orders of magnitude less options to choose from than the used car market, and hopefully easier to learn to ride than a motorbike. Also not constrained to road network and able to carry luggage in the case of the KVF so capable of going off the grid.

take a gander at this fuckin idiot

two wheels > four wheels

Good luck not tipping over at the first corner.

Bamp

ATVs are literally the most retarded shit ever. combining the disadvantages of a motorcycle and a car into one vehicle

They're decent for their purpose, but thats pretty much it. I'd hate having to DD one on anything harder than moist forest floor

>They're decent for their purpose
But a motorcycle would be better

Not when you've got actual work to do, have to carry a good amount of gear, tow a small offroad-trailer, transport wounded folks and such

A motorcycle can do all of those things

Fucking great, you can be my stand-in this summer when I'm bike patrol then. Your job will be to get up to the cycle slopes with the oxygen backpack, the defibrilator, the backpack with bindings, bandages, splints and braces, towing the 200 pound trailer with the 100 pound wheel-stretcher. Be careful of the 100-foot stretch of muddy mire at the top tho

You're gonna love the feel of balance you'll have when you're inching your way down the slopes with a half-crying 13 year old & his broken collarbone on the pillion

there is a dedicated motorcycle thread you fucking stupid niggers, go be autismo there

I rented one of these a few weeks ago and they're an absolute fucking blast. Don't think I'd drop the $10k to buy one but god damn they're a lot of fun.

bamp because i beleiv