Porsche thread

/pog/ - Porsche General

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7lR0h0-eivI
youtube.com/watch?v=yWA4uJOXF-g
rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/414586-the-ultimate-preowned-996-buying-guide.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well, this has been a while.

SNUUUU

Oh hey guys I'll post the pasta in a bit

So very exciting! Oh boy, Porsche!

Huge wing n'stuff!

Are we back?

notice me senpai

>4 hours later

Want to get an early N/A watercooled 911/Boxster but are afraid of the infamous IMS issue? Well I'm gonna try to change your mind

>What is an IMS
The intermediate shaft has been present on Porsche flat 6 engines ever since the original air cooled 911 all the way up to the 9x7.1 generation 911s, Caymans, and Boxsters
It's used to indirectly drive the camshafts and is in charge of engine timing

>What goes wrong?
The IMS itself is perfectly fine, the problem was when Porsche switched to watercooled engines they needed a bearing on the flywheel side of the engine, and with their infinite wisdom they decided to use a sealed bearing with a lifetime grease
What happens over time to a small handful of these bearings is that the grease dries out and it fails, causing the IMS to throw the timing out of sync and grenade the entire engine in seconds
The bearing on the opposite side is lubricated by engine oil and has never been known to fail

>How often to these fail?
Engines from '97-'99 use a robust dual row bearing that has a failure rate of less than 1%, it's the engines made from '00-'04 that use a weak single row bearing that has a failure rate as high as 10%
But don't worry just yet, general consensus is that if the bearing in your car is faulty it would have failed before 40k miles
In addition the best way to keep it healthy is to actually drive your car like a Porsche should be driven; low mileage garage queens are more prone to failure

>How much would this cost me to repair?
If you have a higher mileage car I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your car has a dual row bearing
Fixes include:
>replacing the bearing with a new OEM part - $100
>IMS Guardian - $400
>replacing the bearing with an aftermarket ceramic bearing - $600
>removing the seal and adding a flange that directly feels engine oil to the bearing - $800
The last option is the only true way to fix the problem, but I personally don't feel any of this is necessary

dumping Porsches

>pog is back now that I've got some questions on my mind
Sweet

I've been looking at 996's for a bit of time now and only just realized 997.1 Carrera S's go for ~40k USD nowadays. That seems like an absolute steal for what you're getting.
Outside of IMS memes are there anything wrong with them? Is this normal? Anything to look out for not mentioned in the pasta?

PB blast all of the things

resize your photos god damn

Get better internet

tell that to gook moot

This is why I preload the images in the thread

Where'd you guys go? did autoib die?

Shit yea got distracted.

>Air Cooled 911?
$20K+ SC
$30k+ 3.2 Carrera
$30k+ 964
$50k+ 993

>Water Cooled 911?
$20k+ 996
$30+ 997
$60k+ 991

>Boxster
$7k+ 986
$14k+ 986 S
$20k+ 987 (+$2-5k for Cayman)
$25k+ 987 S (+$2-5k for Cayman)

Based 944
>$5000 N/A
>$10,000 Tarbo
*Disclaimer: You can buy a 944 for under a grand, but the overwhelming consensus in the community is that sorted cars cost ~$5k... so if you buy that car for under a grand when you're done it'll be around or over $5k. YMMV.

>928
$8k+

>968
$12k+

*prices in USD as of last year

Nothing to be worried about, they are a blast. I have seen them go for 30k with about 80k miles.

Have a listen for the cat converter rattle. Nothing scary but the Porsche replacements are horrifyingly expensive. There are obviously cheap ways around this but it's good for negotiating.

Brakes, particularly rotors, are very pricy due to the size. Again easily done for cheap but something to haggle.

Try to avoid any aftermarket stereos, on the early ones the factory head was shit and many people hacked up the dashes trying to swap things out. reinstalling the dash is tricky and once removed it never fits quite right. Squeaks. Just don't.

Other than that they are a blast. Buy one. I have worked on and driven lots of 911s but for every day I have a serious boner for the 997S at the current prices.

Also, I've been documenting the rebuild of my $800 944 on youtube, if anyone is interested. Its been going pretty well but really slowly.
youtu.be/7lR0h0-eivI

Nice bro

Is flachbau heathenism, or is it god-tier?

Bumping

Oh this is neat.

>tfw I'm too autistic to make YouTube videos of me working on my car

Just bought a turbo back exhaust and Cobb AccessPort for muh 996TT. Let the slippery slope of spending too much money on parts begin!

Will it finally go BWAAAAAH SUTUTU

Hhhnnnnngggg

Anybody ever gone the aftermarket route on their 944 headers and exhaust? It seems like there's very little out there

not much gains to be had vs stock as I understand it but I believe Lindsey racing makes a kit.

Never really looked though as the regs I'm building to don't allow anything other than stock for headers.

Yea I've read about the 944spec regulations and they require stock headers. Probably why stock headers crazy expensive and rare. Just had to dish out $70 for just the outer headers. Most expensive repair so far.

Not too bad for $70, you can sometimes get lucky on Rennlist with that stuff.

They've been trying to merge 944 cup and spec 944 so now there is an open class but at that price point you're better off with the turbo, so yea I don't think there's much out there for the n/a.

maybe go custom? What's your plan for the car?

Hey can I hang out with you guys?

eBay headers, lol

Shoo! Shoo I say!

We should just make a German car general, and tell VW owners to fuck off

But you guys....porsche built 3/4 of this damn car. y u so mean

Well dang. I guess you're cool then. But none of the other Audi fags.

Really want to cop a 3.2 carrera or convert a 997.1 turbo to rwd.

youtube.com/watch?v=yWA4uJOXF-g

hi pog

been a while

thinking of deleting my muffler this weekend and trying it out. Primary and secondary cats will remain in place. I don't really know what else to do with the car besides adding an aux cord and making it louder.

also my fuel gauge is being finnicky. full tank of gas marks as half a tank in the gauge. Common issue apparently.

I'm in the profess or trying to remove the muffler on my 986 right now, fucking rust welded the entire exhaust system together

Canada I swear to god

Process*

The spec 986's I've heard at the track (straight pipe exhaust) are loud as FUCK.

Yeah I plan on getting a pair of Thrush Turbo mufflers, just need to remove the OE muffler to measure things

TITS OR GTFO!

those have both cats deleted though.

we're only removing past secondary cats.
Still loud as fuck though. awesome.

no

>tfw no snow or salt

i haven't looked down there on my car but i'm pretty sure its literally perfect, shouldnt be too hard to take it off.

Lel I have a 2.5l, so I don't have cats built into the headers

Besides the IMS, what are the typical problems of a 996 and what should I be looking for in a good candidate car?

>damaged microswitches in the door handles (window has to move down a bit when you pull on the door handle )
>damaged microswitches in the keyfob itself or keyfob that works intermittently ( $300+ to get a new key as they cant be easily reprogrammed)
>cdr220 stereo is known to fail
>wonky fuel gauge, senders fail
>center console scratches easily and its a nightmare to fix and repaint
>mayo in the oil cap can indicate cylinder imperfections in early 996

Rear main seal can leak, not a very hard fix much like the IMS bearing iirc. Still, make sure it has been done or at least it doesn't leak.
Steering rack and such, again watch for leaks.
Coolant tank and cap can start leaking on older ones, these got updated later into its lifecycle.
As always, make sure the previous owner maintained it properly.

And you can check for Type II over-rev warning using an OBDII scanner, the Type II over-rev means a previous owner moneyshifted which is something you don't really want.

As for which options you want, full leather interior is awesome, sport seats are pretty cool, color-matched center console really makes the interior pop and Litronic (xenon) headlights make the weird headlights look much sharper with their clear lenses and projector housings.

See also rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/414586-the-ultimate-preowned-996-buying-guide.html
Very useful guide. Everything I said is from there.

so in theory my 3.2 should be a little quieter yes?

i've only found videos of people with non S's doign it.

In theory sure, but I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference by ear

Some AutoCAD shit in here

ded

No, ur ded

forgive us, we are out earning money.

Shots fired

Got a cutting disk to chop up the rusty exhaust
>inb4 my car goes up in flames

Guys some fucking baboon child in my neighborhood scratched my car and I think this is a good reason for a lynch mob

Why is it necessary for a music video to go on for 3 and a half minutes before the song starts?

its art pham.

Mow him down with your ASSAULT HEADLIGHTS

No, I don't believe it will.

Cobb Accessport arrives tomorrow! Probably load their stock map while I wait for the exhaust to be built and shipped.

RIP in pieces user

HURR DURERPPFLEERP MU GUUURP PÖÖÖRSCHEEEE POOOOORSTSCHEEEE GGOOOOD

Muh germön engineering lerp derp beeetle sheetle

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting

Why does it fire?

Sup porsche anons

Muh Porsche muh money mone money derp lerp

>derp
>lerp

Nice car user! Congrats.

thanks I saved my foodstamps for a month!

why is suzuki so based? why did they have to withdraw from the US?

Britbongs confirmed for not being able to wrench

Isn't the AWD in Turbos only active some of the time?

It's sorta like reverse Haldex, I think? Basically RWD until it detects slip.

that looks 100% exactly like my dad's speedster replica, except his has a brown interior and fuchs'

Saving grace

That was down in retiree-ville Florida.

Super pumped my 44 is going to the paint shop on Monday. Going all white exterior because race car but also the interior is all guards red so muh carrera.

Is it worth getting a 924 or a 944 as your first car? How much does it cost if something makes the car undrivable? And how is the fuel economy?

>first car
>or only car
A bad idea unless you are already comfortable wrenching and diagnosing issues yourself. If you have to take it to a shop expect to spend a minimum of $300-$500.

Get something cheap and reliable, then get the best 944 you can afford.
See

Spend the extra money and get a Boxster, they're fairly reliable and can be daily driven without much drama