What does Veeky Forums think about the Lexus SC400?

What does Veeky Forums think about the Lexus SC400?

I found a 1996 SC400 with only 75,000 miles. The guy wants 7 grand, he says its well maintained and has all receipts for work. The interior looks to be in really good condition and it looks stock. Is this a good price? I'm going to see it on Wednesday, what issues should I be on the look out for?

pre 98's aint worth shit son

what price should it be?

why is that? what makes post-'98s better?

Updated engine with toyotas version of vtec. If you want to mod it for power this is the only version to get. If you never plan on modding it, pre 98's are fine

PFFFTHAHAHAHAH

>The guy wants 7 grand, he says its well maintained and has all receipts for work.

This is kind of the problem with buying SCs in my experience.
They're either fucked and worth nothing, or they're in awesome condition and the cunts want a fuckload for them.

People think it's a V8 supra when it's not.
I saw an SC300 for sale about a year ago for ~$7000 with about 30K miles on it, wish I could've jumped on it at the time.

Yeah I don't plan on modding it. I can live with the 4 speed auto and actually want the non vvti since its non-interference.

Yeah, I get that it's low in miles but its still a 21 year old car. I'm hoping he'll come down. I'm not sure what a good price is honestly. Someone said 2 grand earlier but all the 2 grand SCs i've seen are pushing 200k miles and the interior and steering wheels all chewed up.

>toyotas version of vtec
Oh my fucking god.

>Updated engine with toyotas version of vtec

Not even remotely the same thing.

VVTI has a cam gear that allows the cam timing to be advanced or retarded by the ecu.
VTEC runs a cam with a larger middle third lobe, the rocker arm of which gets locked to the other two at a set rpm.

>VVTI = VTEC

NEVER

EVER

LISTEN

TO

Veeky Forums

you forgot about the electronic lift

This basically

The SC400 is a luxury cruiser, along the lines of what used to mean Grand Tourer.

I'd rather get an SC300 for easier manual swap or with luck factory manual, and grab a 2JZ-GTE from somewhere to swap out or at least replace the internals and head for luxury supra

Or hell get a parts car supra and go fucking insane. Same chassis. Go nuts.

That said for the 400 I really wouldn't fuck with it. The 300 is for dickery, the 400 is for maximum comfy and the V8, while a 1UZ, is no slouch.

yeah VVTI is like honda's VTC in K20 and newer engines

$7k is too much.
The VVT-I 1UZ's have better HP figures but the earlier ones are actually preferred for forced induction.
75k on an SC400 is NOTHING. Change your trans fluid, though. The trans will get you before the engine will.
It's generally agreed the non-VVTI engines are more reliable, not to mention their bottom ends have thicker components.

I've owned my 95 SC400 for about 2 years now. I've put about 60k miles on it, it's now at 204K and I drive 60 highway miles (at 80mph) to work every day. This is not a race car, hell by today's standards it isn't really even a fast car. IT WILL NOT DRIFT.

But it is a fantastic GT car. Great handling on the highway and smooth up to 120 mph.

Yeah, im looking at one for maximum comfy. Whats a good price for a pre 98, stock, lowish miles like the one I found?

Also, for $7k you can go to one of those Japanese importers and buy a real Soarer with a 1JZ TT in it and finance the other $3k.

Thanks for this info. Yeah I'm not buying it for speed or drifting. Just something comfy for me and wifey that's cool looking.

Any kind of issues pop up in the 60k miles? How much did you pay originally?

I paid $1400 for mine because it had a misfire and the passenger door wouldn't open. New plug wires and a trip to the junk yard fixed that. On the whole this car doesn't really have any major issues at all, aside from the transmissions at about 150-200k miles. That is mostly the result of people not changing the trans fluid, though. If you change your timing belt, flush your fluids, and do regular oil changes the car will not give you any problems. Those 1UZ's are awesome. My AC even still works.

One thing to watch out for now that the cars are getting older is corrosion on the computers. You can either pull the carpet back and look (the corrosion is visible) or play with the electronics and see if anything is funky. The earlier models had very basic computers, so everything worked and stayed working.

Thanks for the tips.

Did Americans get the 1jz-gte version of the soarer? Get a manual from one of those

OP i was looking at a 98 sc400 a few months ago with about the same mileage, someone grabbed it before i got it but it still took about a week or two to sell (i was on vacation for most of that or i wouldve got it) and it was 5 and a half grand, so 7 grand is definitely too high.

thanks man, that gives me a good idea of what i should be paying.

Kill yourself user for not thinking of buying the ultimate luxury sedan

Been driving manual my whole life.
If I touch an automatic knob I immediately feel like a cuck.
Considering how rare it is to find these in manuial, this probably isnt for me.

since your inner cuck is just waiting to pounce out, get it converted to manual. its quite easy on the I6 version

>more whores
not OP but I dont got any hoes to move around

VVTi-L is Toyota VTEC, maybe that's what they meant

Great vehicles. Haggle because even at that mileage they aren't worth 7k. Make sure your electronics work and check your fluids. Parts are going to be expensive and far between so make sure you really want it. In conclusion, go for it man you probably won't regret it!