How big of a deal is dry-rot in tires?

How big of a deal is dry-rot in tires?

I was getting an oil change and my mechanic showed me one of my tires has a bit of slight dry rot in between two of the treads.

Tire still has plenty of life left, but he said the dry rot is serious, and the tire should be replaced right away.

So, replace?

Could you show us a photo of it?

What tires, what is their wear and what is their date of manufacture?

tires are the second most important things on your car senpai.

gross saggy milkbags

sauce

Dry rot is not a good sign. It's an indication that the integrity of your tire has been compromised. Your risk of blowing the tire is much higher and something as trivial as going at a high speed on the highway or driving over a curb can trigger it. Get it replaced.

This, look for the DOT number. The first two numbers are the week that they were manufactured, the second two numbers are the year.

I.E. 4315 means that they rolled off the factory floor on the 43rd week of 2015.

The reason why this is important is that most tires are pretty much at the end of their safe life span at 10 years. If it's showing dry rot AND it's almost a decade old, then it's definitely time to start looking for replacements.

Tires are first, functioning brakes are second.
>So, replace?
Yes.

>How big of a deal is dry-rot in tires?
bigger than her THICC thats for sure

i had a 16 year old dry rotted spare snap a belt on the highway at 65mph+ and almost fucking died, limped back home and it looked like the big bubble was about to burst

Source?

Something that no one has mentioned is dry rotted tires are much harder and not sticky at all. I had a set on my one my rwd cars and coming off a highway almost slid off the road traveling at normal speeds due to just a small amount of water. Grip is vastly reduced moral of the story

>be me
>3500 pound buick century
>drives strange
> go in to have alignment checked
>1 rear tire is 12 years old the other is ten
>tires are doing whatever the fuck they want so i sway when on the freeway
>im a big dangerous missile

Now try using all-seasons in freezing winter. Winter tires are soft, all-seasons are hard.

I have actually been using summer tires this whole winter. But muh awd so I don't get stuck at least, stopping and turning is a whole other story though

What a bunch of Nancy safety fags.
Those tires are most likely fine.

Kek you probably have Michelin, bridge stone tires on your car huh?
Known for shit like that.

Virgin detected

dry rot can easily cause loss of traction on wet road and/or make the tire more vulnerable to damage, it's kind of a safety hazard

it's only one tire in your case so don't stress it too much, but I would suggest you get it replaced asap. in the meantime, just drive cautiously

You will be fine right up to the point your tire shreads apart and you slam into whatever is next to you.

Does the female form bother you user?

Op here. Pics.

What's your tread depth currently? I think you're close to needing it done for that as well.

Do you happen to drive a Porsche ?

That tire is fine.

looks horrid i can see some deep cracks

Should deff replace it asap

if your belts snap and stretch like mine did (water got in there and rusted/weakened them i guess) then the tyres are toasted

Its fine. In the tread that's mostly surface cracking but I'd start thinking about replacing within a year or so. If it starts in the sidewall especially if it's a long continous crack that's wider than 1/32" then replace immediately. Pic related is dangerous cracking

This is also dangerous

random gold digging normie chick with jackpot genetics...

seriously step outside and you might see one

Tons of tread. The tire looks great except for this bit of dry rot in between 2 treads.

The mechanic told me it was probably the spare tire that was put on the car and the tire itself is old.

closeup

These two models are poor choices for long-term reliability. Both will need a top-end rebuild within a decade. In both cases you run the risk of sludge build-up and your only recourse will be to walk away. You'll have to accept total depreciation as well as an arbitrary 50% loss of your other assets if you installed a hitch. If you acquired any trailered accessories, you'll have to pay maintenance on these while only receiving weekend access.

I recommend a secondhand model where the owner has obviously kept up maintenance but still has enough useful service life to form a productive relationship with. For example, this model is renowned for durable aesthetics long after domestic models have suffered suspension sag.

>have actually been using summer tires this whole winter. B
Summer tires have a minimum temp rating. The rubber can crack if it's too cold.

funny, i literally noticed this today on my car.

getting new tires asap.

Shit I didn't know that
Thank you

i would rot her dry if you know what i mean.

Esplain plz

fug I'm grabbing onto her when that yacht starts sinking

this this this, good luck braking in cold/rain

tires are second, the driver is the first

If that's the dry rot, you're fine unless you're taking it on the highway for long periods.
The sidewalls are very weak and dry rotting on a thin sidewall is very dangerous and likely to cause a blowout.
The rubber underneath the tread however is fairly thick and even if the outer part of the rubber is dry and cracked, a bit underneath the rubber is probably like new. Unless it gets worse or spreads outside of the treads, I wouldn't worry about.it senpai.

Ask Paul Walker.