I HATE ROAD SALT

>Today car starts idling loud as fuck and is even louder when accelerating
>Take it to my mechanic
>Exhaust pipe completely broken in two pieces behind cat converter due to rust from rock salt
>They were able to weld it together for cheap, but no guarantee of it holding because of all the rust
>$1200 to replace entire exhaust if the weld breaks in the future

This shit should be illegal. It does nothing but eat cars. How is it even necessary now with traction control, ABS, AWD, etc? I gotta move to the desert..I'll take sun damage and cracked dashboards over salt damage any day.

never heard anyone from europe complain about salt.

>This shit should be illegal.

Should be, but won't.
It kills fish. But don't clear the roads as a mayor and your career is over. Re-election is more important than endangered species.

>kills fish
Fuck the fish, it kills cars. Could just use sand but NOOOO, it's slightly less effective

Some places use gravel or sand. Glad to live in an area that does, even if it means windshields get ultra fucked around here.

>How is it even necessary now with traction control, ABS, AWD, etc?
Because none of those stop your car, they only help it go.

The real issue is people are too stupid/cheap to just GET SNOW TIRES.

ALWAYS go to your local car wash preferably AutoBell and get the underbody wash option to wash off all the salt and shit on the bottom of your car.

not everyone lives in your backwater shithole, cletus, what the fuck is autobell?

>mfw I have a lifted truck with offroad tires+chains for blizzards
>never have a problem with traction on snow covered roads
>salt only ruins my undercarriage, doesn't do anything else

(michigan... fucking lake effect snow)

Grew up in MI and just moved back recently for uni. I might only drive a focus, but I'm terrified to look under

The solution is simple, just don't drive in the winter.

But if you seriously think it should be illegal consider the alternative.
>roads get covered in snow and packed into ice
>cars skating across it everywhere
>couldnt see the road markings or edges which would make driving difficult even if you had a great winter car
>even if you have winter tires and are the best driver in the world it's still exponentially more slick and dangerous than a dry surface
>even if you were the most careful driver in the world you would still have other drivers sliding into you all the time
>even if you were the best driver in the world you would have to go 20x slower
>trucks would get stuck on the slightest hills on the highway and bring traffic to a halt
>school buses would get stuck on their routes so muh chilluns wouldn't be able to get their educations, or if the busses still ran blame would come down on the road crews and county government for not salting roads
So the result of not having salt would be a very high likelihood of your car getting fucked by a wreck and hurting yourself as well, plus not being able to actually get anywhere. however you're too narrow minded so all you see is
>muh rust
so you bitch about the best solution we have to this problem

Here in CT they've been spraying lines of liquid hell on the highways that really destroys your car. I agree road salt should be outlawed

Listen here nigger, I wouldn't give a shit except we have stupid fucks coming up north every year during the winter. As it is they crash enough, if you stop salting the roads then they will crash even more.

You don't like your car rusting? Get a good undercoating done and fucking wash it you fucking nigger.

>Get a winter beater
>Get it undercoated

>be mayor
>dont salt roads
>90% of people, as in those who actually have places to go, bitch about snowy roads
or
>be mayor
>salt roads
>a couple autists complain about rust because they can't afford to get a new car once per decade

If I lived in these shitty conditions I would put bed liner down on 80% of the undercarriage

There is a solution called sand.

Because we take it like the good cucks we are. Most cities in northern europe salt everything in sight during winter.

not near as effective as salt

>Born and raised in north
>learned to drive in the snow
>Never had any problems in 10 years of driving during winter
>Come to a place that dont salt roads.
>First time snow hits
>Holy balls, Wheel spin everywhere, people plowing into ditches
>State of emergency declared.

We use sand where I live exclusively and it is very effective. Salt is garbage and should just stop being used.

>learned to drive in the snow
>Come to a place that dont salt roads.

You never actually learned to drive in the snow if you depend on road crews to salt them.

Sand is way less effective

Same here I'd rather replace a windshield at a fraction of the cost.

DOESN'T MELT ICE YOU STUPID NIGGER

Not suppose to melt ice retard. It's for traction. Same reason why you keep sand in the boot and not road salt.

>NC
>Backwater shithole

reminder that the reaction for rusting only happens at temps above 0

reminder that spending 1 min after a major snow storm + temps above 0 (and undercoating if you aren't a poorfag) washing the underside of your car is all you need to do

reminder that a minimal risk of rust (if you aren't a fucking retard) is preferable to Stacey and her Hummer plowing into your shitbox due to slippery roads

>lifted truck
>doesn't get his fat ass underneath to wash the undercarriage
quit being a lazy fuck and clean it, if you have time to bitch you have time to clean

Unless you park in a heated garage every night.

Wisconsin here. Sand is worse than nothing.

how the fuck do I wash the underside of my sedan with 5 inches ground clearance

>mfw it can't snow where I live

I agree op. There's seems to be a lot after the election too.

you must have some pretty mild winters

>drive to carwash
>select the option that washes undercarriage
>???
>profit

Alternatively

>jack up car
>get a hose
>????
>profit

Poke holes in a hose and plug off the end so it sprinkles up into the air, then drive over it.

>water gets into low intake
>car dies

but then I have to drive home, and there will be salt on the undercarriage again. It doesn't solve the problem.

I have fuck tons of PVC. Guess I'll try it, I hope the pressure is enough.

Then go with option two dumbass.

Find a local car wash that has undercarriage washes. A $12 wash once every few weeks will prevent tons of corrosion.

Or invest in a power washer or a few cans of Rustoleum.

Yeah i rather die from hitting black ice than corrode my shit box

i would refer you to the haggard garage hole in hood water video but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I was a welder at a salt mine for years before my current job. ALL EQUIPMENT MUST BE WASHED DAILY. It's not that complicated. Wash the salt off and avoid swiss cheesing the equipment.

I also lived in an area that only sanded for awhile and that shit is a mess. It doesn't dissolve. It just cakes up. It is not nearly as effective as salt and there are piles of it on the shoulders of the roads well into spring and summer.

>NC
>Backwater shithole
Yeah that's precisely what North Carolina is.

Salt is the most cost effective way to prevent ice formation, melt current ice buildup, and add some traction in poor conditions. Clean your car earliest opportunity in spring if you don't like the rust or get a winter beater.

>he didn't strategically buy a car with an oil leak so it covers itself in a protective layer of sludge
LMAO P O O R F A G S

>Some places use gravel or sand.
>Doesn't melt ice
Sand and "extra large sand particles not gravel" are only good in mild winters and usually some salt and calcium chloride is added to it. My area stopped when it was discovered the road surfaces were ruined by the sandpaper grinding action. Ruts formed. Potholes developed. Various deep ruts appeared in asphalt from the grinding action.

So no more sand. There are two approaches used now. The main one when there are dry days is to spray those liquid lines in the road. It mostly stays on the road or in the wheel well and that's it. If slushy, then sometimes salt particles + calcium chloride is used. The road surfaces are much better off to not have any sand or grit.

I live in a ski resort and sand works a treat here.

>now with traction control, ABS, AWD, etc?
None of this will stop your car from sliding, losing control or anything they are merely assistance tools