/classic car general/ - /ccg/

/classic car general/ - /ccg/

Travelall Edition

>Post your classic cars and trucks
>Blog about electrical gremlins
>Pray to the carb gods
>Argue about Mopar vs Ford vs Chevy vs IHC vs Pontiac vs Buick vs Oldsmobile vs Cadillac vs Packard vs Hupmobile vs Deusenberg vs Peerless vs Auburn vs Edsel vs Cord vs Locomobile vs Stanley vs Hudson vs Studebaker vs AMC vs Graham vs Delahaye

Other urls found in this thread:

hotrod.com/articles/selecting-right-carb
hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/v-16/1896045.html
hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/370c/1891071.html
hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/cadillac/fleetwood/1898680.html
hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/twelve/1726414.html
vanderbrinkauctions.com/auctions_pictures.php?detail=205
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it hard to build a good old American V8 to 1 or 1.1 hp/cui flywheel naturally aspirated? Are there any designs that disqualify from the beginning because of inherent flaws? Are there any designs that disqualify for further power increases through forced induction or nitrous because of inherent flaws?

429 cubic inches of fuck yeah

Is it hard? No. All but like,5 or 6 of Chevy's crate engines are more than 1HP/CI.

It would be a pain to add forced induction after you've already built it up to be decently powerful and N/A, since you'd have to run high-comp shit.

What about dumping nitrous into the thing until the desired power output once the internals are strengthened?

I mean if you build an 11.5 to 1 screamer that revs to the moon them you put a bar of boost on it you're going to have a bad time without race gas all the time

What's your power goals and what engine? Do you value driveability? Are you ok with fucking up your rings something fierce

engine masters i think got 600hp(?) out of an internally stock 305 sbc by just fogging the everliving fuck out of it with nitrous.

it wasn't until the 700hp mark or something that the thing blew up. I'd have to watch the episode again.

KKK to find the required CFM for your engine the equation is
(CID X RPM X VE)/3456

Random user from last thread, as previously stated, got my hands on a 67' Buick Special, was thinking of dropping an LM7 into it.

Though, got a few engine options but the LM7 seems like by far the best choice.
Anyone encountered any issues with dropping a modern LSx into an A-body besides the usual engine mounts?

This is true, but it doesn't take into account vacuum.

Here's a great write up from car Craft

hotrod.com/articles/selecting-right-carb

Friends, are you able to hook up an ecu, soak controller and plumb a fuel system or are you going to convert to carb. One is easier than the other.

I'm just hypothetically thinking something through here. Doubt I'll ever build it, just wanna know if it's possible. Pontiac 400. 400-450 hp on gas. 600-650 hp on nitrous.

Anything is possible with enough money

No problem with hooking it up, I was more wondering if anyone ran into the issue of having to bash in a firewall or frame clearance issues on A bodies.

That being said a 400hp poncho 400 isn't at all unreasonable. Good heads decent compression ratio and a good can will net you that

But can it take a 200 shot of nitrous on top?

If you build it with the proper tolerances in the rings, and you have the correct fuel controllers and you have something that will retard timing then yeah.

The sauce hurts your motor though famalam

How bad can a few runs at the strip once in a full moon be?

You'll get a few seasons probably minimum. I'm not that sure

Crew cab chevelle guy here, that's what I'm gonna do until I have a garage and can do my LM7 swap. Sauce it gud and blast it at the strip every other month. The powerglide must pay for its sins

Top Kek

You gonna go with a th400 for the LS?

Honestly I'll probably do 4L80E, just because denmah has it documented so well, and the price

You've got to run a trans controller and stuff for that but they're good transmissions

>duster fuel pump decides to not work
>meanwhile, I've confirmed the gas tank rapidly leaks
Reeee

Spoonfeedme? If so, man you pulled the short straw with that thing

Yeah shitty Verizon internet is down and I can't be bothered to trip on a phone

The good news I I actually have to search for rust underneath the car

well this thread didn't last long

I keep playing with the idea I'm selling my Excalibur and buying a Rolls-Royce. Can I get some opinions on this?

Sell your Fiero and get a Quicksilver.

>Electrics
>Engine and interior parts
That shit is expensive

No. If the battery dies, you can't open the trunk and the battery is in the trunk.

M8 why don't you get a medium priced sports car like an E type or tr6 or something. You already have a luxobarge

Are we talking about the trunk or the frunk? Doesn't the Quicksilver have lids in all the same places as the Fiero, only two in the back instead of one? Aren't there battery relocation kits for Fieros?

Because I like my barges. My DeLorean is my uncharacteristic sports car.

Trunk trunk. The Zimmer deletes the rear lock from the Fiero and relies on the electronic trunk release. They're also prone to overheating. It's really a shit car.

Oh that's absolutely hilarious.

Can't flim flam the Zim zam amirite

But I feel it. Then I'd get something different. Get yourself a prewar car like you actually want

I'm going to spend around $250k on one of those in a decade or so; after I buy myself a house with a proper garage. Then I get the fun of deciding what car to spend $250k on.

M8 I keep eye fucking big body mopars but I just can't justify it. So much class though.

Yeah; a fun activity would be "What car should I spend $250k on?"

I know what I'd do. I'd buy a 68 or 69 Torino fast back, a falconer v12 and make them make sweet love together

Or something else but I want a falconer v12

I don't think I'd be able to spend 250k on a single car if I tried. It's easily money for multiple very nice cars.

Here are a few contenders for my $250k budget:

Sub-$100k:
hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/v-16/1896045.html
hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/cadillac/370c/1891071.html

$100k to $200k:
hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/cadillac/fleetwood/1898680.html

Over $200k:
hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/twelve/1726414.html

HAHA DRUMPF BTFO

>tfw trunk lock delete
>tfw the trunk only opens with vacuum
>tfw trunk cannot open unless car is running

Don't let Scotty near that fucking thing he will die in it

What is that supposed to mean?

Scotty doesn't know.

So there's a big classic car auction happening in July in Ohio, lots of projects available. Who here is going and what do you want? I claim the Tatra.

vanderbrinkauctions.com/auctions_pictures.php?detail=205

460 :>

Muh dick. The closest thing any of us needs will ever get to a Tucker.

Speak for yourself; if I chose to, I could be living in one in lieu of a house and paying on it for the next 20 years.

Honestly, though, I just don't like the Tucker.

I've gone through the pics. Top things I'd bid on in order are the Tatra, Austin Healey, Citroën Traction Avant, DS, and maybe an Isetta to make money on.

Big Healey? 3000 or 100? Neat. Those are a man's sports car

3000 MkII

Keep in mind if you haven't looked through the pics in the link, all the cars need some work to be nice again.

The auction is 1 man's collection of over 700 cars. 1/3 of the cars are Studebakers, so if you want or need a Studebaker here's your chance.

I don't really know if this is appropriate to ask here but I was wondering if I could get your guys' opinions on what car I should get on a 15k - 25k budget.
I'm pretty young and love classic muscle cars and working on them but I'm not sure on what I should buy. I've been looking at cars for a while and I've come up with three that I like aesthetically and I would like to have your opinions on them. (see fig. a)
Also the car I buy will be kept with me most likely till I kick it. I'll be modding it over the years and hopefully pass it on to my kids one day. Hopefully this didn't sound like blog posting.

probably should have put in the car models too
from the top
1970 Ford Torino
1971 Plymouth Road Runner (although a satellite would do just fine)
1969 Chevelle

1963 Fairlane, keeping and building up the 260 V8 :^)

eh, I'm more of a late 60's early 70's kinda guy
>2nd 5th and 7th gen look cool though

That's what I'm doing with the ferd.

Those are all badass choices.

>Build up the 260
JUST

I respect the ideas and drive that went into thinking up the Tucker but the car that finally came to be did nothing that other cars didn't do earlier. It's kinda like the Delorean of the '40s.

Safety cell and padded safety dash were neat, so was the aero engine but it was nothing they out of the norm

>Avanti
>Studebaker airport shuttle
>mail vans
>Tatra
>Amphicar
>Nash Metropolitan
>Citroen DS
>stuff I don't even recognize
Holy shit, are they literally only auctioning weird stuff?

Is this a four door Avanti?

was a thing in the early 90s, would probaly look alright if it was made up like a 60s Avanti

This looks about as good of an idea as the '90s Packard concept car.

The Avanti corporation was a mistake.

All new sheet metal to front (except hood) because of ebin nordic rust damages.

Test fitted and taking them to paintshop soon.

Also put on my refurbed front grille so it looks almost like a car now.

The 260 is literally just a Windsor. They were good enough for Shelby.

I know. Dat bore size though.

Also Shelby only used the 260 because the 289 wasn't out yet

What ya got under the hood in that beast?

Yeah but believe it or not but not everyone has an obbsession with big power numbers. If someone wants to build a 260 more power to them because there needs to be more diversity in engine choice

Your not going to build "big or numbers" with a 289. I get your point, and being a special snowflake is nice and all, but if you just wanted to do that throw a flathead in the, which would also be dumb.

There's a benefit to trying something new, but there's no benefit to suffering for the sake of suffering.

Now if you just happen to have a 260, power to you. But to seek out one I don't get it

Doesn't change the fact that some people want what was original to the car and still have a go at building the engine

M102 109hp carb version.

Coming as soon as i can find an suitable engine: M102 16V 185hp from 190 2.3-16

I also have full AMG bodykit & 16x8 Pentas for this.

Sure, why not. It's a what, the same heads will fit. But it's like starting with a 305 when the 350.

66 buick nailhead, or a convertible karmann ghia.

Except bore size isn't the only factor in building an engine. I don't see why you pretend to know more than you do

>I don't see why you pretend to know more than you do
He doesn't realize that he only knows enough to give the appearance that he knows what he's talking about.

You forgot the Delorean, Bricklin, Checker Aerobus, Hudson, Panhard. From what I've read the guy liked the more unusual stuff, hence the massive amount of Studebakers. But there normal stuff like a '57 Chevrolet, '57 Thunderbird, Charger, Barracuda, even a 3rd gen Camero as well.

No it isn't.

I honestly don't understand your point. I've started that the 260 is fine if it came with the car, but why take the engine out of the car to modify a 260 when you can build literally any other Windsor. There's a reason Carroll didn't keep scrounging for the 260s, she eventually decided that the 289 wasn't enough either...

You're literally retarded. I literally gave you the reason why he would. I'm not going to continue to spoonfeed a retard.

Based on Caprice iirc

Grandfather has a 79 avanti. It came with a Nardi Steering wheel, drove pretty well. Liked the 350 in it.

M8 if you want to do that, go for it. Look up 302 hot rod, and 260 hot rod and you'll understand where I'm coming from famalam

Popularity and performance are irrelevant to his reasoning.

His reasoning is originality. I don't agree with that and the number of 302 and 289 swaps is testament to that

That's because you're a boomer-tier retard who thinks something should have whatever the hot meme engine is.

I think if you're modifying a vehicle like these, you should put the most cost effective, bang for your buck engine in there that you can.

If I could will it, id have every Ford rod powered by some 427 aluminum blocked Windsor stroker with heads that flow like the Nile. But that's just not possible for everyone

You claim to be a classic car enthusiast but here you are with 0 respect for vintage builds or people going against the grain. You would unironically 455 swap a 49 Olds 88 instead of building the 303 You would unironically 454 swap a Power Pack '56 Bel-Air instead of building the 265. You would unironically LS swap a 421 Catalina 2+2 instead of building the 421.

This, kkk always suggests cookie cutter builds because he doesn't know shit about anything else.

I'd do a 303. I wouldn't swap a super duty, but you've got to think about the vehicle. Preservation is a hell of a thing, but some vehicles like a 260 powered falcon, well there's nothing significant about that as is. Fuck em

>only just now realizing kit kat is a rere past basic car discussion

Oh. I had an om617 in mine, probably the only diesel car I would buy again in a heart beat. It was slow, hungry and noisy, yet some of the most fun I've ever had just cruising down the roads at 80kph

I'm in retarded about somethings, but autistic about others that's for sure.

I can tell you straight up I don't really know anything about modifying Chevy motors other than that I want a tunnel ram on a 427 powered 69 c10

>i dont know anything about something
>but I want this meme on this meme in this meme
You really are retarded

Tunnel ram literally a shit anywhere but the dragstrip, but it looks cool.

Everyone knows the more physical size your engine is the bigger your E-peen is, right?

>Avanti
>Corporation
>but the Avanti was a Studebaker model
>Oh someone bought the rights and tooling and kept making it

Neat, I guess.