Wargaming General

War games thread.

>What is a wargame?
Games that simulate military conflicts.

>I have never touched a wargame but I think Napoleon and any and all other military commanders are a shit and I could do better, where do I start?
A game such as Panzer General or Panzer Corps is probably one of the newbie friendlier wargames. Steam sells Panzer Corps, which is a prettier version of Panzer Generals with some added bells and whistles. Panzer General Forever is a free to play version of the game which can be downloaded here panzergeneraldownload.com/panzer-general-forever.html

>I am a big boy now
If you feel comfortable with the genre you can find more complex titles at popular publishers of wargames such as Matrix Games and Slitherine. There also a plethora of smaller publishers that you have likely never heard of that specialize in wargames. The games from these publishers are usually highly specific and often only focus on a single battle. An example would be the PC game of Napoleon's Last Battle, which focuses solely on the Waterloo campaign.

>I may be a big boy but I still need you to hold my hand
Popular titles include:
The Grigsby series War in the East, Paccific and West
Command Ops 2 (the engine along with 2 or 3 scenarios can be obtained for free)
Order of Battle (tutorial scenario can be played for free)
Strategic Command War in europe (new)
Flashpoint campaigns (not to be confused with the milsim Operation Flashpoint)
Tigers on the hunt
Ageod games

>I hate time and want to kill all of it
Games such as Command Air Naval Operations and full campaigns of War in the Pacific Admirals edition will gobble up all your time. If you really get into it you can install VASSAL which allows you to play the hex&counter boardgames on the PC against other players, this requires you to know the rules of whatever game you decide to play.

bump

you only had to report and ignore

Report and ignore what? I like discussing wargames. I don't see why wargaming content should be in a thread where it isn't wanted and only leads to shitposting and derailing, it benefits neither group.

bu mp

Man it would be fuckin awesome if they made a strategy game were you could play as Nazi Germany.

What do you mean? There are loads of them. Many would fall under wargaming, which is in part the reason I started this general, to discuss those sort of games.

/wgg/ is back?

What game is that.

I guess for the sake of traffic we might as well add wargame to the list of stuff to discuss here.

An RTS by the name of Wargame

Wargame red dragon

It's actually an RTT if you want to make autist distinctions.

On the topic of wargaming I would be willing to "coach" anyone interested in getting into Squad Leader.

well ya, eitherway it isn't a traditional wargame despite its name, although like I said, I don't think wargaming or the RTT Wargame are going to genereate enough traffic on their own, so we might as well make it a military tactics&strategy games general or so.

/wgg/ was a general for a long while. It only survived by being very loose on what could be discussed and even joined with dcs general.
It died because dcs left to create /simg/.
So basically being autistic about what's allowed will make the general dead on arrival.

Agreed, should be a general wider in scope then just wargames as I defined it in the OP. It Should be all military games that try to simulate to one degree or another the tactics and strategies used on a battlefield.

than*

What a shot, holy shit.

D

E

A

D

G

E

N

E