Ford Mustang LX

So I could use some advice friend/o/s

While I was on the clock I found this old rust bucket which turned out to be a mustang.
Needless to say this car is a god damn treasure in my area (Croatia/Europoor)
I never owned a car before nor do I have my drivers licence yet but the thought of fixing up a mustang to be my first car pretty much gave an instant erection.

The car still has a Texas licence plate and was first registered in 1987 and the last check up was in 1996.
Is it worth it? Can I even register the car in my name without going to the land of the free?

I haven't had the chance to check the engine as I'm still in the process of finding the owner.
If anyone was in a similar situation I'd appreciate any info.
Will be dumping pics

>tl;dr found old mustang need help fixing it up/legal help

God knows how long it's been since it was moved, I'm kinda scared what I'll find under the hood

>Is it worth it?

hell no not even close

Is it an LX 5.0 or does it have the 2.3? It should have a 5.0 badge on the side.

If it's the 2.3 4 cyl, it's pretty damn slow. I own one. I love the thing, but it's about as fast as any other 80s shitbox. If it's in that shape, don't even bother if it's not a 5.0.

and yes it's a manual

Any idea on the costs? What if I get it for free since it's in such a rough condition?

Like I said, I haven't had a chance to look at the engine so I have no idea atm
I'll go ask the locals tomorrow

If you can get it for nothing then go ahead. If it has the 5.0 V8 and not some eurocuck engine, those things are pretty much indestructible.

I realize that where you are performance cars may be hard to find, but there's probably so much rust and rot on that thing that you'd be way better off looking for something else.
Shock tower rust kills these cars, and unless it has the 5.0 it's definitely not bothering with.
Even if it does have the 5.0 you still have to consider that any parts for it you're going to buy are probably going to be shipped from the US, which increases costs.

did you not look at the fender

I cant even imagine how much parts would be over there this car is hardly worth it even in the US
unless you make any power at all then the block cracks
and its a manual transmission that is made of glass and likes to break

Fox body parts are pretty damn cheap over here in the US, though. There's tons of aftermarket, and mine's been pretty damn reliable all these years.

Yes but you can also find a car that's not rusted to shit in the US

for the amount of money you would dump into this you could do much better tho

If you want an American muscle car go look around American army bases. You'll find rich ass warrant officers n' such who took their 80's 90's dream car with them overseas and now wanna sell it. Germany is full of them.

If anything this car not being in the US makes it more worth it, since there are probably only 2 or 3 other foxbodies in croatia, if that. I wish there were more identifying exterior features between 5.0s and 4 cylinders, but in these pictures all I can tell is that it probably wouldn't have steelies if it was a v8.

T5s are entirely sufficient for the ~200hp the v8s put out then. They only start breaking when you do something like try to add power.

Again, this is in croatia. Getting a mustang at all is going to be expensive. This one being abandoned is going to be the cheapest.

fuck off furfag

Jesus Christ dude, did a foxbody run over your mother or something?

parts are pretty cheap and you can cannibalize almost everything except valvetrain bits from other fords.
the blocks are known to give out around 500hp. until then you have nothing to worry about; that is double the factory spec. same with the transmissions.

go for it OP, you never see a car this loud/fast in europe. the engine is more than 2x as big as your typical euro motor.

No sorry I was in a hurry, I was planning to go back tomorrow anyway

Yeah I doubt there's anything like that in Croatia

That's the only reason I'm even going after this idea
I was planning on fixing it up bit by bit for the foreseeable future since my family already owns a shitty daily driver (Mazda 636 DITD)
If fixed I have a feeling the value might skyrocket over a foxbody in the US by a large margin

Thanks for replying! You're really helping out on this thread!

horsepower isnt what breaks them its the torque and how you drive it

why do Foxbody fanboys get butthurt anytime someone doesnt think this shitbox is good Im not going to sugarcoat the car

its only good when its cheap and in this situation it would not be cheap

its an awful car

the block is hitting its limit at 450hp sure you can go higher and increase your risks

the transmission is easily blown up when stock if you dont baby it

also lol when Foxbodies are slow af even with a V8 and aint shit compared to something like decent BMW or just about any modern hot hatch

You're the guy from the other thread screaming about the 302, aren't you faggot?

If the strut towers or frame has any rust it's 100% not worth it. You need to check the inner and outer portions of the strut tower.

By the way, since everybody obviously missed it, am I going to have a bad time with the registration since the license plate is from the US? My dad was in a similar situation before and it just wasn't worth it as the guy had to travel back to the country it was initially registered in.
If I try fixing it without being able to ever put the car in my name there is no point.

Also what is so great about foxbodies besides the fact they're pretty cheap in the US?

If you want the truth, nothing is that great about them besides the poor man's special factor and cheap parts.

I love how they look, though. I always get attention in mine, even though it's a weak 105 hp shitbox on the inside .

You're not wrong, foxbodies aren't close to the best and it takes heavy modification to make them good. However, OP is in croatia. What else is there with a RWD manuél veeate that OP can afford/get running on a budget? Not much.

Hot hatches are FWD and BMWs are expensive and break down often after the warranty is up. OP getting a v8 BMW would be potentially as expensive or more than this foxbody would be.

>what is so great
RWD v8
They sold a shit ton of them so parts are everywhere and cheap
Very, very large aftermarket
It isn't an sn95
Won't need a rotisserie restoration like a first gen mustang

are you going to argue for hours because you dont want to agree with facts again because I really dont want to today

can we just agree that it was decent back in its day but in the year of our Lord 2017 it just plain isnt

I can get a LT1 Z28 cheaper than I can a Foxbody now its not worth it I can usuall find SN95s and New Edges for cheaper too or around the same price

they used to be cheap but the value went up quite a bit

its just that it used to be the best value drag car

we dont even know if its a V8

>Travel back to the country it was initially registered in

Well that's fucking stupid. That would be to much of a headache and waste of money. If that's not the case though then I would definitely fix it up.

>Also what is so great about foxbodies besides the fact they're pretty cheap in the US?

At the time, they were significantly faster than the shitbox competitor that GM pushed out with the Turd Gen Camaro twin V8s.

They don't look like any mustang to date. The second generation mustang was a total piece of shit and these were a step back in the direction of the first.

They have a very iconic look for a mustang. They look like a typical 80's shitbox, but no other mustang looks like them.

Because the engine was in production since the late 60's there was an insane amount of aftermarket for it. The standard head, cam, and exhaust combination produced over 100 hp increase in output.

They're extremely easy to work on. There isn't a shit load of electronics, plastic paneling, and assorted bullshit in your way. Parts are cheap and available in either reproductions or the thousands of dead ones to cannibalize. You can easily get a 2nd fox body that isn't running for 500 dollars as a parts car.

More importantly they're just fucking fun to drive. The abundance of torque they produce is very satisfying. They sound fantastic and can get that classic muscle car sound with a cam. They're not without their faults, but retarded faggots who weren't even alive when they finished production exaggerate them like most things on Veeky Forums. The reasons people love them are numerous.

>140 HP
>302 CID engine

They were faster in a straight line until the 350 camaro came out in 1987, but put some turns on your test course and even an LG4/L69 camaro runs all over the mustang.

>I can get a LT1 Z28 cheaper
That's your fucking argument? That an alternative exists?
Did it ever occur to you in that autistic fantasy land you live in that there are always better alternatives for most things but that doesn't mean there aren't qualities and other reasons for why you can love something? I mean it's basically why your parents didn't get a 33 trimester abortion with you.

please don't spread false info. The 302 is good to 450hp or so and the WC T5 can easily take 300 crank as long as you aren't launching on drag slicks.

they used to be even cheaper in the US

they're fast. I don't care if a newer car is faster, foxbody have a shit load of torque and feel fast all the time.

they're usually loud as all hell, my neighbors complain constantly about mine and I still have a full exhaust system.

most of them that you see in the US are hot rodded, adding to the cool factor people perceive

they're very reliable, despite what that one guy is saying the T5 tranny holds up and the 302 can take a lot of abuse

and it's a mustang. mustangs are just special.

>At the time, they were significantly faster than the shitbox competitor that GM pushed out with the Turd Gen Camaro twin V8s.

wrong

Turd gens were much faster (with the 5.7) and any of the V8 ones would whoop a Foxbodies ass on a track with turns even Probes kicked the Foxbodies ass around a track

oh so you just have mental issues and like a car to a point that you ignore faults and think its good

not how it works

ironic that you bring up fantasy lands

>oh so you just have mental issues and like a car to a point that you ignore faults and think its good
Fox bodies have numerous faults. That doesn't mean they aren't fun cars to have. You're being a faggot, you need to kill yourself with that hyper aggressive bench racing shit.

WC T5 has nothing to do with a stock Foxbody

I already said 450hp up above

fun doesnt make cars good retard

fun is a buzzword you use when you cant think of any reasons to why something is good

every car is fun

>fun doesnt make cars good retard
There we go. You are an autist. Post a picture of yourself so I can see what the average Veeky Forumstist looks like.

>WC T5 has nothing to do with a stock Foxbody
Except they came with WC T5. KYS

Foxbodies did come with WC T5s. It was the earlier 3rd Gen Camaros that came with regular glass T5s. OP is also going to get an 8.8 at the back.

^This
I was slowly being disheartened by the fact that my only 2 options of RWD cars are either a bmw E36 316/8 or a mercedes clk 230(which means expensive parts) because people here are too busy buying "luxury" cars while not being able to pay bills
Pretty much everything else is composed of fwd's with like 1% japanese cars, golf mk3 being the cheapest

Exactly - Croatian laws for you friend
It's going to be a nightmare if the owner of the car is dead or it's abandoned
Worst case scenario I'll just tow it to my yard and play around with the interiors

I fucking love this dashboard though, even the stereo is still untouched

>fun is a buzzword
why are you taking so much time out of your day to shit post about fox mustangs? I know they don't post the fastest times around the burger King but they are good cars as everyone in the thread has explained.

>5500 redline
Sorry, man, but that's probably the 2.3. Mine's the same way.

>fun doesnt make cars good retard

>fun is a buzzword you use when you cant think of any reasons to why something is good

Everyone go home, it's just a bus riding shitposter

if you think "fun" is a justifiable measure of whether something is good or not ou have problems

goddamn no wonder you are one of the dumbest people Ive ever had an argument with

ok then even the WC is a complete shit thats rated at like 300 lb ft and still breaks when stock if you dont drive like a granny

I thought the WC was one of the aftermarket ones

why do you fanboys get triggered every time

you act like theyre good when theyre not there needs to be at least 1 logical person in these threads

and now we know its a 2.3 since the 5.0 has a 6000 rpm redline

Well there go my hopes and dreams

nope the 5500 Redline is all of them. it's a huge v8, they never Rev high.

Save yourself some trouble:
1. Go to mobile.de
2. Search for mustangs in Kroatia
3. Check out the 5.0 for 6k euros

Pic related

I think it would be a cool to do it anyway OP. There's probably less than a handful of those cars in your entire country. It sounds like a good excuse to visit burgerland.

See

Whatever, I'll just go check it out for myself tomorrow
We just might have a miracle on our hands

It would be a fun project but if it's not worth it I can't afford to throw money away atm

Tip that fedora on the way out of the thread friendo :^)

You guys could also look at the speedometers. 5.0s go into triple digits, 4cyls don't.

Haha you are the same shitposter for the other thread. Holy shit how pathetic. Do you lurk all day for fox body or 302 threads to shit your pants in.

True

RIP little forgotten car from Texas

if someone swapped a 5.0 in but left the old tach then maybe

wrong and right

all Mustangs even 5.0s had 85 mph until 1989

funny how you guys shitpost in every thread while I contribute facts

weird how that works huh

you guys are just fucktarded fanboys

>I contribute facts
>proceeds to tell everyone they can't like this car because you say so
>bench race hard
>scream that alternatives exist so it's not good
>ignore all attributes that make it a good car as a project
>ignore all attributes that make it an enjoyable car to modify
>ignore all attributes that are counter to what you say
Mkay

oh look the fanboy is making up a bunch of shit I never said

is this what delusions run through your head

I'm not buying your car

do you even have a car?

yes

that is irrelevant information to this thread though

not really, you're the only one here shitting on foxbodys and saying that fun is a meme, so in order to determine if the opposition has valid points we need to check your credibility. what is your car?

nope

its irrelevant

fanboys are this stupid apparently

what your post really translates to

>you made me butthurt so I want to know what you drive so I can continue to shitpost

>nope
You don't have a car or it's a total shit heap. You have no relevance to the discussion. You're just a shitposter sperging hard now.

now hes bringing up even more buzzwords irrelevancy and projection while claiming Im the shitposter

the audacity of this user is hilarious

If its a spexial snowflake in your area, it sounds like it will be a bitch or expensive as hell to fix up?

>tfw someone would rather waste their life removing rust from whatever is left of a shitty foxbody than use 6k euros on a good shell.

Well, enjoy blasting and acid dipping everything. And rip every relationship you might have.

Just register it somewhere else then "import" it to Croatia.

Tbh you trying to sell your car like this is kind of sad m8

there repairs is going to cost you 3 time what its worth as a clean.

check the driver side shock tower under the master cylinder for the brakes, theres the most popular spot for rust developping, might be a hole here already.

even if you were in the US where parts are abundent for this i would pass on it.
To be honest i doesnt even look like a good car for parts either

the lima was more bullet proof than that shitty v8 could dream of, plus it had a higher top speed

get fucked

>Defending an 80hp "sports car"

shock towers are probably gone

>tripfag
>Veeky Forums
>no license or car
why am i not surprised

>not realising the trip had its use for this thread
>trying so hard to look cool
>in the year of our lord 2017

Pls go newfriend

Update:

Called the owner, he's some kind of weirdo and I wouldnt be surprised he browses Veeky Forums
The guy told me the car wasnt driven because of the license plate which means all the damage is from years of being parked outside which gives me hope
But
The asshole doesnt want to sell it and said he "tried" fixing it which is obviously a lie
I'll keep being a nuisance and call him on monday when I end up working near him just so I can hopefully get a peek on the insides

Where are you from,fellow Croat?
Coastal Dalmatia here.

Ugljan Island, near Zadar friend/o/

Just interested,is the car on Ugljan or in mainland.
Also,what job do you have (I would go bankrupt buying the fuel for a Burger car)

As you might imagine it's on the island, kind of hidden unless you got lucky like I did. I'm working for the local government but the pay isn't that great
I'm already okay with the fact that the car probably won't be driveable for a couple of years if I decide to own it and I know how expensive the petrol is but what choice do I have? The only decent alternatives I've found is a BMW E36 or a Mercedes CLK 230K - everything else is dogshit FWD

Oh and the owner confirmed it's a 2.3L

M8 go for it,you'll probably be the only person on our islands with an old Mustang.
If I had the money and the expertise I would buy it,its better than driving a classic Croatian shitbox like a Golf Mk3.

Exactly, but the problem is you can't drive it legally without forging the documents.
Luckily there's minimal amount of police on the island, like 2 or 3 cops
If I do end up owning it I'll probably need to hire a lawyer to check if there's any way in hell I can register it

As if no one has ever done anything illegal in Croatia.
There must be a loophole or someone you can bribe.

It's all for naught if the guy doesn't wanna sell though
We'll see

>better than driving a classic Croatian shitbox like a Golf Mk3.

I dont want to shatter your dreams but a 2.3L Foxbody drives like complete shit

2.3L? fuck yeah get to it cro-bro if you need help i'll glady send some shit from the states

Thanks friend :')