How hard is replacing airbags?

How hard is replacing airbags?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.npr.org/documents/2008/oct/airbag.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Which ones? Steering wheel ones are a few bolts and cables while dashboard and side pillars require some finesse. You may also need to reset or "flash" the ECU to reset any SRS lights.

It's the required inspection afterwards that takes the most money.

Steering wheel and passenger only. I was planning on just buying a new module and having a mechanic friend reset the computer.

It's pretty easy, just some bolts and connections
Might have to hit it a few times with a hammer to loosen it tho

Correct, if insurance or any other bureau/agency reported the VIN to the DMV as totaled or has frame damage, it will need an advanced inspection to pass and receive its Reconstructed Title (aka R Title, aka $3500 350Z's)

Usually airbags deploying will be an auto write off, or instant total, but there are cases where your adjuster is cool/stupid.

I couldn't give a shit about regulation, so I'd just replace them with junk yard parts and go to my local lick n' stick. Good luck, OP.

Did you buy a crashed car? If so, why the fuck would you do that?

It was given to me for free, all it needs is just the airbags replaced but the people are rich so they just got a new car and I'm debating if I should do it myself because google is telling me airbag replacement is expensive.

What car?

I don't want to say out of fear of being laughed off this board, but nothing's wrong with the internals or external, it apparently got tapped just hard enough to pop the air bags. I'm mechanically inclined enough to do it, I'm just lazy and work a lot but if the price is too high for the work involved I'm just gonna do it.

Why replace them?

just say what car dude.
how you gonna get laughed at nobody got names.

Tell us, faggot

Everyone worships gay shit like Twingos and Miatas here.

Aren't they legally required? I don't want to get pulled over for something unrelated, get a fixit and be at square one.

2000 ford focus lx

That's not even a terrible car, at least the headlights look cool

It's a ford focus. It's worthless with a salvage title. Don't waste your time and money.

>2000 ford focus lx

Decent. Got a 03 SVT myself.

They're legally required if you manufactured the car. Depending on location, could be a problem if you're selling it.

So I could rip them out and call it good? Wouldn't affect smog or registration?

Stop. That's ghetto as fuck. Spend more money than it's worth on replacement airbags or send the car to the junkyard where it belongs after you part it out.

>SMOG

If you're in California you're not going to be able to put that car back on the road legally. But if you're in a no inspection state, get some junkyard units to fill the busted wheel and dash, then pluck the bulb from the cluster.

>If you're in California you're not going to be able to put that car back on the road legally
Wrong. Airbag light has nothing to do with smog.

So California doesn't do safety inspections? Didn't know that. And I only meme arrowed smog to indicate a confirmation he lived in California.

ford mustang devolpment team detected

>So California doesn't do safety inspections?
correct. You're thinking of a no fun allowed state like Texas that does shit like that

That really is kind of eye opening. Especially to someone (me) who dreamed of living there as a kid, then got majorly turned off by smog, and the assumed Nazism that came along with it. That along with a post earlier informing me that engine swaps were OK so long as the year model is the same or newer. I don't hate on California, just make ill informed assumptions based on limited knowledge.

>How hard is replacing airbags?
Depends on the car. A lot of the older cars is pretty easy and you only need to reflash the computer unit to get rid of the airbag light. The newer cars set the airbag detonation event code and that is always remembered even if you reset the dash SRS light. Any dealer will have access to that code and if your car has onboard communication to the manufacturer like electric cars, hybrids, Lexus, and GM, then it is possible they will flag your car for an exam if you show up at a dealer.

For airbags, Onstar sends back the GPS location and all other situation info for the car. It knows if it was hooning prior to the accident too.

>all it needs is just the airbags replaced
>nothing's wrong with the internals or external, it apparently got tapped just hard enough to pop the air bags.

It depends on the car computer too. If the car thinks it is falling, it will summon the side airbags as seen in one BMW youtube video. He hooned and lost control and the car fell over a sharp dropoff. But before the car hit anything at the bottom, the car's computer already must have sensed something was wrong. The wheels were in the air. The car is moving sideways and rotating onto its roof. Boom, the side bags blew and diagonally blocked off the windows so the passenger's arm and head would remain inside instead of flopping outside a window to be crushed.

Follow up question. What does the round thing in front of the driver do?

>Why replace them?
If you're selling, then they need to be replaced.

My state has a list of things required for any car sale to be valid. You can't have a lien on it like the bank owns it. Another is emissions and another is all airbags in working order.

Otherwise you have a hole in the steering wheel cover and a hole in your dash that screams airbag missing to any repair tech, dealer, or oil change shop. When whoever bought it goes to a shop, they will be detained and then say you sold it to them like that. Your "sold as is" bill of sale is invalid if the car was illegally sold.

Since all the licensed shops and dealers know it is illegal (in my state) to drive a car with the airbags blown, they might even call it in. The dealer will probably DETAIN the car until the police show up to tell you to fix it or else it will be junked.

You must clear the sensors SRS code BEFORE reinstalling or the airbags will blow again when you start the car! You don't want to waste the replacement airbags.

>It's the required inspection afterwards that takes the most money.

This is old, so look up the newer regulations for your state:
media.npr.org/documents/2008/oct/airbag.pdf

As you can see, some states like Alabama even require that if you replace the airbags with salvaged or used (non-new) airbags, it is required to be disclosed to the buyer.

It's not illegal in most places to drive a car with blown airbags. But in those places it is illegal to detain a car for shit that only affects the driver.