Superchargers and Premium Gas

>2006 Chevy Cobalt SS S/C
>Super needs 93 Octane
>Now paying $2.89 when 87 is ~$2.23
>Hear I can use 87 if I also use octane booster
>Google and two mechanics have given me differing views
How does Veeky Forums feel about this? Is using octane booster with inferior-grade gasoline harmful to my engine/super, or is this acceptable?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=saMngImnZJ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

just use the 93 and save $3

>Buying a car you know requires a specific fuel grade when you can't afford said fuel grade.

USE THE RIGHT FUEL POORFAG. The difference between grades is less than 10 bucks. kill yourself.

I thought premium was only 20 cents more expensive than regular?

If you're actually considering this you're either a retard with no idea how these things work (I'm guessing so since you had to google an octane booster) or you don't really give a fuck about your car.
That being said, do what the fuck you want. When your engine seizes and you throw a bitchfit about GM build quality don't expect us to care

OP is a fag booster

>"hey man you gotten that wound looked at yet? It's bleeding through the band aid"
>"oh shoot thanks man"
>applies another band-aid
>"you should really get a doctor on that man"
>"nah dude the doc told me I need stitches, but the thing is I can pick up these bad aids for a lot cheaper!"
>"but those aren't fo-"
>"it's a scam man, just like premium gas."
>"by the way, Fred, could you give me a ride to the hospital?"
>"I mean sure Bill but don't you have that nice supercharged cobalt SS?"
"Nah man the engine stopped working. Fucking GM cars man."
>"...didn't you refuse to put premium in it?"
>"i told you fred, it's a -scam-."

Don't be bill.

Jeebus OP either buy the right fucking gas for your vehicle or sell it and buy a Geo Metro you can beat into the ground like the twat that you are.

threads over guys

Lets say you put on average 10 gallons. 93 will cost $7.60 more than 87.
>inb4 im a dumb ass that runs my shit all the way down till the low fuel light comes on

The cheapest octane boost @ walmart after taxes is going to be around $4.

You will save yourself $3.60.

Just get the premium fuel you fucking negro.

Per gallon, but across purchases of $10+, that adds up.
I can afford it, I just want to be a cheap piece of shit and save a couple of bucks, I just don't want my spendthrift to ruin my engine.

You'll actually save some good$
Obviously you are a nigger and you're just gonna steal the octane boost

if you can stay off the fucking pedal you can run 89 and not need the octane boost.

Elaborate.

Any octane that actually works will cost you at least $10, the cheap ones don't do anything.

For example if your car has a 16 gallon tank it will cost you $35.68 to fill up with 87, $46.24 with 93.

Filling up with 87 then using the octane booster
will cost 45.68, you are only saving 0.56 per tank.

Don't risk your engine for 56 cents you jew.

sell your SS and buy a camry you fucking loser
if you can't afford that small of a difference you don't need it

There is nothing to elaborate you monkey. With 89 you wont ping unless you try to put a heavy load on the engine.

>hay errybody im OP and I cant afford 7 extra dollars a week.

unless it's hot out, then it will ping under moderate load and the knock sensor will scale the timing back, then the car will be slow as shit.

You got to pay to play negro.

why do yanks have such crap fuel? If you have a Forced induction car you need Premium and the highest grade you can get

Octane booster isnt enough if the fuel is already CRAP

And you will be a slightly richer man. Alternatively you can sell the car and buy a civic.

you forgot the part about driving a super charged econobox and not wanting to pay for fuel.

>be me
>not op

/thread

>why do yanks have such crap fuel?
Why do europoors always think the US has shit fuel? Octane boost is just a gimmick to get money from broke blacks, and dumb asses that think more octane will make their car faster.

it still applies.

I wasn't defending the use of a lower octane just saying what will happen if he does.

car knocks, timing scales back, car loses power.

Not worth it to save a few cents.

ausfag here we get good fuel but not as cheap as you

I'm currently paying 60-80 cents more. I vaguely remember reading something about premium lagging regular in price changes simply because they make less of it but that could be total bullshit.

premium is just shit thats slightly more refined and higher grade additives, i'd someone to actually go around and test the octane difference between regular and premium i bet there isnt a big difference these days

UNLESS you know exactly what your buying and its trustworthy

AVGAS/110 Octane Race fuel etc.

lol everytime we talk about fuel....I get depressed.

Compression and timing.

if your compression is greater than idk, 10.5:1 or you advance timing, you may reap benefits of a fuel less prone to predet.

different brands do different things with fuel sensors, some take 200miles to realize fuel has changed to remap, others do it a lot more frequently, some are ready for e85, ect ect.

So if you have a premium burning machine, it will retard its timing (losing power & efficiency) if you run less than what it calls for, again dynamic thing - some say premium is 91AKI (thanks cali) others 93AKI.

If you have a regular burning machine and throw in premium, nothing happens, no gains over regular, I have a 5.3l that has advanced timing to the point I ping on 91AKI, I haven't increased compression yet but I actually gained MPG with the tune, that could be more of a transmission table change over stock than advance timing that did that though.

I use a gas app, I've found 93 $.50 cheaper within a mile of each other.

youtube.com/watch?v=saMngImnZJ0

>gas stations that don't put their premium price on the signs
>gas stations that put E85 on their signs