Electric vs ICE

Electric vs ICE thread

Other urls found in this thread:

autoblog.com/2017/02/01/iihs-tesla-model-s-bmw-i3-crash-tests/
mbusa.com/mercedes/heritage/events_community/overview/feature/id-689a3e9630b9d210VgnVCM2000007d184335____/pdf-highmileageaward
youtube.com/watch?v=PbE3gDVI7uU
youtu.be/oNRPTsD0BLE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the point? Everyone knows electric is vastly superior in every way.

>inb4 muh standing mile

Are there actually mobile generators powerful enough to provide an electric car with its electricity demand on the move?

I like external combustion engines.

Me too

except for the recharging and range sure.

How many electric cars have made 1M miles on a single engine and battery?
Also how many winters will your batteries last?

How many fucking petrol cars have gone around the clock?

>Shit range
>Takes hours to charge fully
>Overheating and thermal issues especially in hot countries and on racetracks
>Mediocre crash test ratings
>HEAVY
>Battery tech is shit, most start to lose range around the 2-5 year mark and beyond year 6-10 battery life is pretty much fucked
>Batteries cost THOUSANDS and resale value is shit
>Aftermarket a shit and expensive or non existent
>Tesla locks down their cars and bricks them if you make custom *ware
>Ages like shit
>Limited charging station infrastructure
>Stupid "Green" marketing when chinese/yank batteries damage the environment just as much to build, charge and dispose of them
>Electricity grid in most countries cannot handle any more EV cars then we have now

>Expensive initial investment for "Free" 'Fuel'
>Repairs outside of warranty are insane
>no more reliable than ICE cars (Tesla quality control is infamously bad) just google Tesla Problems
>Stupid marketing push by Helsla
>Hybrid's are both lighter and more reliable and more range decent fuel consumption
I hate to say it but current gen EV's are fucking shit

they where shit back in the 19xx's and even early 2000's

Same shit now, the battery tech still isnt there

That's what a hybrid is. Gas engine drives a huge alternator/generator to drive electric motors at wheels.

The technology is just too young to be viable on a large scale. Tesla's production is too small to be of any relevance, moreover Tesla are expensive supercars dressed as normal cars, and supercars hardly bring any change to the overall situation.

If they implemented this technology on cheap hatchbacks like the Fiesta, without any performance gimmick or retarded design that shouts "Look at me I'm electric" they'd be terrific daily drive cars, the problem is that probably it wouldn't be economically viable for the car companies.

Hybrid cars are just an expensive meme.

Me? none but ive bought always secound hand cars, because i know that it will last a lot longer than i will own it
I would never buy a used eletric car, because thats just like buying a used laptop or smartphone, they are disposable.

Thread ended boys pack it up only a fool would argue past this point.

Mediosre test ratings? Model S is the safest 4 door sedan dumbfuck

>"supercar" that's only good at drag racing. And can't move itself after two launches in its equivalent of "Ludicrous Mode"

it isn't
autoblog.com/2017/02/01/iihs-tesla-model-s-bmw-i3-crash-tests/

Electric has no range and long charging times, and it gets worse the funner your driving is

Simple fact

Early adopters get buttfucked as usual

>yfw we end up running on ethanol and methanol reclaimed from atmospheric gases and organic waste in the end, because the rare metals/copper needed to make EVs en masse are too damn important when you could all just take the bus

It's american, after all

>yfw we end up running on ethanol and methanol reclaimed from atmospheric gases and organic waste in the end, because the rare metals/copper needed to make EVs en masse are too damn important when you could all just take the bus

sad but true

instead of elon's future where everyone has their own EV, we're going to take the bus and the rich will drive around in cars running on expensive alternative fuels

on the bright side, motorcycles get bretty good mpgees for 500cc and below engines

Thats a blog

>How many fucking petrol cars have gone around the clock?
Diesel engines can, in fact:

mbusa.com/mercedes/heritage/events_community/overview/feature/id-689a3e9630b9d210VgnVCM2000007d184335____/pdf-highmileageaward

That would be perpetual motion. I don't think that exists, but you can create a device that will replace a percentage of the energy that it's using. The trick is getting that percentage as high as you can. If your vehicle can currently replace 30 percent of the energy it uses, and through research and development you can start to increase that percentage and get it up around 80 or 90 percent you will have certainly accomplished something fantastic.

Well Electricity is hot, and Ice is weak to heat, so Lightining Style wins again.

>Not the Mazda Furai

Because I like being loud as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=PbE3gDVI7uU

same here

have you ever heard of the nissan leaf

How about a solar car? With a light chassis and new solar panel tech it could have a huge range.

same here bro

M3 V8's explode? Damn, I was just thinking of buying one for my E46

-1000'C is below -273.15'C you dipshit. Can't go lower than that. Delete your picture and never use it again.

*Huge range as long as it is daytime

and yet its still going

Its funny EV cucks think they have the "Superior" technology when all battery tech is based on Ancient Alien tech thats shit and yet the more modern ICE cars still crap all over these "New" EV's

Ironically back in the 1900's-1990s everyone experimented in EV cars and they have the same drawbacks then they do today as ive said
They are also more prone to faults and electronic fuckups especially Telsa cars which are one of the most unreliable car brands in the world.

Here is some common problems of the Tesla Model X i am aware of

>Doors wont open or close
>Car wont move and requires towing due to "Battery Fault"
>Car suddenly stops or loses power for no reason "Usually battery pack overheating or failiure
>Total Electronic Power Steering failure or intermittent faults causing the steering to completely lock or for the power assistance to stop working causing the car to understeer and crash
>Autopilot issues
>Unintended braking or acceleration
>Door lock issues
>Charge door issues
>Misc Electronic issues
>Firmware issues
>Cannon flash your own custom firmware onto the vehicle as Tesla will brick your vehicle remotely because it phones home.

Its literally 1984 the car yet the little turds here and all over the internet defend it like its going to "save" automobiles when it fact it will likely be its downfall.

>Autonomous meme crap and not even particularly good its full of bugs and problems and killed several people that we know of
>Tesla bribes their way through crash tests and investigations
>3 people have at least being killed by Autopilot mode that we know of

I cant wait for someone to find the kill switch and go around remotely bricking peoples Teslas just to show them how weak and fucking stupid these cars are.

How about both?

Charge time and infrastructure isn't as much of an issue for plug-in hybrids.

>>Unintended braking or acceleration

There is no proof of that happening. There are only reports which have not been proven.

One or the other... We don't need a 6000lb combination of the two, the worst of both worlds.

>We don't need a 6000lb combination of the two

It's 3,519 pounds.

>the worst of both worlds

Or the best, depending on how you look at it.

It gets the same MPG's as a normal car if you drive it like a non-geriatric fuck. inb4 999mpg manufacturer rating. It's a waste.

As i said Elon Musk just bribes his way out of any lawsuits before they begin.

>It gets the same MPG's as a normal car

That's a good thing, though. Even when you've depleted the electric range, there is no MPG sacrifice over driving a typical compact car.

It very much depends on your personal usage.
I've got a Prius Plugin as a daily (yeah, go ahead and shoot me). It was one of the first plugins and has a measly range of some 10-15 miles. Yet I do 95% of all my daily driving well within that range because my commute is 5 minutes and my wife's work, the store, and the kindergarten are all in the vicinity. So I get on average 196 MPG. And that's from the goddamn Prius. It still averages 60 MPG on long trips, so I'm quite pleased with it.

The Volt does what 40-50 miles on EV? Unless you have an insanely long commute, you can drive around pretty much only on EV.

which you have proof of?

The Prius Plug-in is just fine, IMO. It's much cheaper than the Volt and still very efficient.

The first generation Volt is rated at 38 miles, and the second generation is rated at 53.

Mine has an average of 124 MPG since it was new.

>Mine has an average of 124 MPG since it was new.

Because you probably drive like a cocksucker. What's the point of driving if you're going to accelerate like a bus?

t. elon munsk

I usually accelerate with light to medium force when passengers are in the car and medium to heavy force when I'm alone. My high average is because most of my driving is on battery only.

>Dat frontal offset
youtu.be/oNRPTsD0BLE
How can Tesla even compete?

>3500lbs

Yeah Nah. Give me a 2500lb car without the electric assist bullshit or even a 3500lb pure electric car as long as it performs. Mixing the two is pointless for anything other than halo cars.

Yes, but I want to be able to detach the petrol engine when I don't need it.

the lawn mowers seem allright

Yes. The Volt works like that. In can run as a "serial hybrid".

This thing seems to be the most affordable EV with decent range that's got the space I need.

Is this a stupid first car choice?

It might not be good if it's your only car, because you might need to go further than the range it has.

It mostly depends on how often you plan on going past the range it can achieve. There are also other factors to involve like living in extremely cold or hot climates. Excessive coldness and hotness reduces range.

>Live in Canada, so cold is a mild worry
>I'm nearly 30, never needed to drive
>I work from home, rarely leave

My only major concern is if I ever decided to do a road trip. Then again, I could always rent an ICE whenever I actually find the time.

Do you suggest Leasing an EV today instead of buying?

nissan note range extender.
electric motor drives the car.
ice charges the battery.

if you're gonna sell in a few years, consider leasing.

These are immensely popular in Norway, also in the colder climates. Your range will be reduced (to about half in the worst case scenario (heater on, batteries cold etc)), but nothing you can't live with. You'll save loads of money by just renting a fossil fueled car the few times you're likely to travel out of range.