How does Veeky Forums feel about Saab?

how does Veeky Forums feel about Saab?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/5958892071.html
curbsideclassic.com/future-classic/future-curbside-classics-cadillac-bls-budget-luxury-sedan-blingy-little-saab/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nothing would change if they never existed.

Why do people post the same thing over and over again?

meh

I dont care about anything the did past the 70s

2 stroke ones are cool
99 turbo is cool

new to Veeky Forums, sorry
I grew up with Saab cars so I was just curious

I hate working on them.
Who the fuck thought a chain-driven water pump was a good idea?

They're neat little Swedish machines, I've been wanting to get a 900 as a second car for a while now.

Well welcome, had this thread with almost the exact same wording a few days ago.

The people of /o are like any other group of car enthusiasts. Their will be people who think Saabs are weird. Their will be a few people that had a bad experience and hate them. Then their will be Saab owners that will barely be able to stop talking about them.

They will go on and on how the turbos of the 80s and 90s had better mid range excelleration than an f-15 strike eagle. Or how a being in a Saab is the safest place to be, nobody has ever died in a Saab. If you put a person with cancer in a Saab they will be cured. They will tell you that by downloading software you can quickly tune it for a 30 to 40 bump in HP.

kek
thanks for the info friend

Just know, unless you have owned a Saab you will never understand.

Pretty much this. As someone who does like Saabs and think they're respectable sports compacts, their fanbase can be amongst the most annoying around here.

Saad

>nose heavy
>parts are expensive
>front overhangs are very triggering
>pretty fucking boring

>respectable sports
in what universe

Love it. Would have one if I could afford it. Already have a volvo, so it would be delicious icing on the cake.

>parts are expensive

lol keep this meme going, keeps the cars cheap.

not where i live. parts are more expensive than for rover 75 so that must say a lot

I mean, the 99 Turbo and the coupe version of the 900 are essentially an every man's sportscar for the daily routine. They aren't absurdly powerful or anything but muh loose racing handling.

The richest man I know drives a Saab. He could drive anything in the world but he chooses to drive a mid 2000s Saab like the on in this picture. Take this information however you want to take it but this is what I know.

Don´t cry because its over, smile because it happened

Turned to shit when they turned into an Opel with a Bodykit

>tfw this thread has got me thinking about selling my '08 civic and buying this

newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/5958892071.html

how are these?

great cars, but too bad they only have FWD

First car was a 900 turbo. It's kind of like an old mercedes, it'll go forever and ever but some new gremlin is always happening.

the owner of a large energy division in the UK lives in a big fucking medievil house with a Saab like this too

dunno why Saab attracts the top .5%

The 2nd gen 9-3s and 2nd gen 9-5s were available with AWD. It was haldex gen 4 or 5 and Saab called it XWD. It could put 85% of torque to a single rear wheel if need be. I doubt 85% of the , 'but its fwd bias' dorks on /o would be able to tell.

>dunno why Saab attracts the top .5%
Saab, when in business, had the most educated buyers. If you need a daily car for the road it is just about the perfect choice, especially if you also have money for weekend/track cars.

Every car my father has owned since he moved to Australia ~25 years ago has been a Saab.
Every car my mother has owned since she moved to Australia ~20 years ago has been a saab
>tfw I don't have a saab

They're fucking nice, I'd kill for a 900 turbo

Fuck off we're full

Haha, we'll see about that

We Slavs, not blacks or Arabs, we actually work for a living and follow Australian culture

>Saab, when in business, had the most educated buyers.
Don't they also say cuckoldry is the intellectual's fetish? Maybe it's actually that Swedish things are the intellectual's fetish, and just cuckoldry happens to be a Swedish thing like Saab. What if saving Sweden from cuckoldry equals to saving the world from cuckoldry?

I came within a nipple hair of buying this but my auto loan arrived a couple days too late. Love the shape and would have been one of the only ones on the road.

Did you see the wagon prototype that faggot from jalopshit got and made road legal? Makes me so jelly.
On the bright side, at least I'm not a faggot.

talking about 9-3, I have the weirdest boner for Caddilac BLS

I'd like to own one just for obscurity's sake

...Is that a Saab on an Opel platform with a Cadillac front?

>tfw when no Saabaru

>'but its fwd bias' dorks on /o would be able to tell.
It's not a bias question, it's a weight distribution question. You can have RWD bias on a FWD based AWD system

Yup, it was a big flop and GM supposedly made Saab to foot the $140mil bill
>curbsideclassic.com/future-classic/future-curbside-classics-cadillac-bls-budget-luxury-sedan-blingy-little-saab/

fun fact, BLS won a Winter Car of the Year 2007 award in Finland

>and follow Australian culture

Bet you do

Seinfeld also primarily drove a Saab when he could've afforded any car in the world. And he's a /carguy/ to boot, so it's not like it just happened.

Literally spent the day driving my uncle's '99 9-3 roadster.
Even though 185 horses don't sound insane, the turbo just pulls and pulls. Love that thing, the 2.0l Turbo's are just really great engines.

I like Saab.
I thought they had some quirky design ideas, like the 92's 2-pot engine or not-sports-car Sonett. Most cars were full of Swedish strangeness.

GM did not intentionally kill off Saab however they simply did not understand what Saab were doing. It's a quality over quantity issue. Saab wanted good cars while GM wanted more cars.

GM thought is was a good badge so they wanted it stuck to the old Chevrolet Trailblazer so the Saab 9-7X was born to a meh fanfare, not because no-one wanted a Saab but no-one wanted an old SUV platform.

Then, GM wanted the Cadillac BLS to be sold in Europe so they raided their European piggy banks and found the Saab 9-3, which was based on the old Opel Vectra base, and changed the body and badges and found out that no European wanted one. Not because no-one wanted a Saab but because no-one wanted a Cadillac.

Saab was used and abused, they were ridden hard and put away wet. A shame really.

I wont say they are the best cars in the world..
but i love them. I daily a saab 9-3 and my dad has always been a fan of saab. So we've had a 9-5 aero
and we still have a 900 Turbo S and a 9-3 Viggen convertible wich are extremely rare to see. feels sad they died

"I got a Saab because my Dad's a dickhead."

I've been dailying a 88' 900 for nearly 10 years. These cars are very fun to drive. Quick (not fast), turn fine and behave ok. Standard brakes are perfect for sane driving but knowing how do they respond to some harder situations is good when hooning. Getting upgraded brakes and clutch would be good.

But they're old, mid-luxury cars anyway. Spares are easy to get and you'll be learning where to buy them soon. They're reliable but old anyway and something will break up from time to time. I'm stuck riding the train until I fix a busted engine mount.

Also, the transmissions are made out of glass. Never drive them hard while not perfectly hot, be careful with your gears and check transmissions fluid regularly.

Been dailying an '89 900 turbo for almost a year now. It's my first car and it's a lot of fun!

I love mine
This guy gets it

Lolvo driver here.

You are brethren, I like Saab.

ass ugly slow fwd poopoo boxes that cost more than they were worth new

its dead what a surprise

I bought a silver 9-3 last week and really like it. I kind of regret not holding out to find one with a manual transmission, but I also have this strange feeling I'm going to turn into another Saab nut and buy a manual one among other saabs in the future

If you have to post this. You need to learn some history.

>ass ugly
lol
>slow
lol
>poopoo boxes
lol
>cost more than they were worth new
that usually means they're good
bad cars depreciate fast

They only ever made one truly good car

Found a 9000 2.3 Turbo Aero for 6000EUR in nice condition, tell me a bit about it.

My mom had one when I was growing up I wish I could remember the model, it was a two door with four seats, red, and I think a hatch back but I could be misremembering

>that cigarette boat tier interior
AESTHETHICC

I love my saab and all, but the reliability is a joke. Mine had some overheating issues and electrical problems. For some reason the small mechanic shop that I never heard of fixed my car better than Triangle Auto fags ever did. Anyways if you like working on cars then buy a saab.

It's ok, couple of friends have those. Expensive and overcomplicated, but as an Audi owner I can see the appeal.

I worked in the factory in Trollhättan for about a year before I did my military service, and almost two years after that. This was after GM bought SAAB and started pumping in money.
One thing you have to understand, and this is similar to some of the stories in this thread, about how some people for some reason praise SAAB over anything else. The same can be said of a lot of people in Trollhättan, I call it collective delusion. Or something like that.
There are still people there who think that SAAB can make a comeback.

And also, it is true that GM maybe had no idea what SAAB was doing, but on the other hand the Swedish SAAB people apparently had no clue about how one goes about selling cars.
My first "tour of duty", I worked on the assembly line. (Back then, a majority of kids there would work a year or two straight outta high school, on the assembly line. A job where you basically needed no experience or education. And a lot of those kids had no sense of quality, so the actual quality of the cars were iffy.

Also, their advertising was horrible (I've worked in advertising for a while so I know who did what etc), they used two ad agencies from the 90s up until they got bankrupt, and what makes me shake my head is that they used the same TV ads (for the most part) in both the US and in Europe.
You know, ad is beautiful woman on a cross country bus, watching dreamily as the scenery passes by, cut to a closeup of a child's hand holding a smooth white stone on a beach, cut to bird etc etc... No pic whatsoever of the actual car.

In the US, the car turns into a bald eagle which flies off to eat Saddam.

I don't know where I am going with this but SAAB and the people who worked there were very close-minded, even though they had some technical skills and ideas. And they had a very limited line of models and still wanted to compete with MB, BMW and Audi, and to some extent with Volvo. You don't do that with two models.

Hit character limit...

I wanted to end with the fact that SAAB had one (1) quarter where they were not losing money, actually making a profit, from 1988 until they went bankrupt.

What year? I assume since you are euro it is a manual? The autos had a lesser turbo. If it has TCS avoid it. They are surprisingly fast, and with a tune, which you can do yourself, they are quite quick.

What year and model. Mine have been trouble free.

2000 9-3. The reason why I think they are troublesome is because the only other guy I know with a saab has had problems all his own. Like his alternator just broke. He has a 2003 9-3.

Before I get rid of mine I do want to do some custom work to it, and fix the things that bother me though. Pic related is what I want to do with it