Just got my Nationwide smart ride in the mail...

Just got my Nationwide smart ride in the mail, and I am curious about ways to fake it into thinking I'm a better driver than I am.
For example, I have a buddy that I pay video games with a couple days a week whom literally only lives two blocks away, but the smart ride deducts points if I FTC's after midnight, but I don't think I should be penalized for driving 2 blocks at 1am

Anyways, my question is if anyone knows how these work. Can I unplug it before I start my car after midnight? Or if in in a rush to get to with!
Thanks for yourb going

Had one of those with a diffrenet insurer. just plug it in like once a month lmao

You signed a cuck contract. Signing your freedom away like that is fucking disgusting. Why don't you move to Europe while you're at it?

They have a partnership with the cell companies to track you and receive information from the device. Don't know if they'll catch on to the unplugging but overall these things should be boycotted.

throw it in the trash, most users of those things saw rate increases. The plan is to map the road you drive and measure "danger" with nothing but accelerometers and ECU data. and if you don't ever drive dangerously? too bad, some guy stopped short in that intersection last week. your rates went up because you use that intersection once a week.

nigga it's two blocks, just walk

All they care about is ow much you drive (less is better), when you drive (daytime is better), and how hard you brake. So basically don't drive, don't drive and night, and don't drive like an asshole.

unplug it, drive home. Then go back to his house at some reasonable hour the next day, plug it back in, and drive home.

Code an outsim app that takes data from Live For Speed (the racing simulator) and pipe it through a OBDII simulator with the Smartdrive wired into it.
Then go balls out on a hotlapping sesison. They'll see you did 120+MPH over a sustained period with hard braking and tons of miles without ever leaving your house and be incredibly confused. Your premiums are going to go up anyway, why not fuck with 'em?

>Just got my Nationwide smart ride in the mail
Onstar does the same functions and various insurance companies are able to make use of Onstar to measure your performance. That means panic stops, do you weave in your lane, do you use turn signals for every turn, do you do aggressive driving (hooning), do you go into rough terrain that triggers traction control repeatedly, do you speed at 80 MPH, do you recklessly speed at 90 MPH?

Progressive Insurance uses an OBD2 module named "Snapshot" to measure your driving and it phones home the data. They claim to not get your GPS data, but that data is sent out and received by them with all the other driving data.

>LIterally a botnet for your car.
No, I would never plug one of these into my car. The road are safer after midnight anyways due to no one being out there. The only thing you have to worry about ar drunks and they are easy to spot on the highway.

>stop-and-go driving
WELL EXCUSE ME, HOW THE HELL IS IT MY FAULT THAT I'M STUCK IN TRAFFIC

THIS SHIT IS A FUCKING SCAM AND AN INFRINGEMENT OF YOUR PRIVACY

>HOW THE HELL IS IT MY FAULT THAT I'M STUCK IN TRAFFIC
that is your fault, just drive on the shoulder or buy a police siren and watch as the normies scuttle out of your way ;^)

They have a battery in them. They will last 12-18 hours unplugged. I don't know about these units specifically but I do install a lot of telematic devices for work. They all have batteries

Ah yes, the Russian way.

kek

Buy a car that doesn't have an OBD2 port.

What game is this m8? Looks fun

I've never had a problem with my Snapshot devices. Actually brought my insurance down from $160 to $112 with only 1 hard brake for the 6 months. I only plugged it in during my regular drive to work and when I knew I'd be going 80+mph I unplugged it. Only got a notice of it not receiving a signal once because I left it off 3 days in a row but didn't affect anything. There are ways to beat this

That coincidentally rhymes with a rusty shitbucket ejecting screws and suspension parts anytime you attempt to drive it

BeamNG.Drive

I make the mistake of having it on in freeway stop and go driving. Over 30 hard brakes per month. I had to switch insurance companies.

Well that's fucked. Do they automatically do it or do you have to give them permission?

>get cut off
>brake because you're paying attention and don't want to crash
>real asshole move on your part

Why the fuck would anyone be willing to subject to that garbage to safe a few bucks.

your more likely to get rear ended in stop and go. its your fault for not living closer to work and for using one of them fucking things. kek.

I was going to do a talk at DefCon on this.

Basically they contain a GPRS modem inside that connects to transmit data to cellular networks. The data is unencrypted and can be intercepted and spoofed.

The other way to do this would be to spoof signals from the CAN-BUS. You can do this pretty easily via either a PIC micro-controller or arduino device to spoof ODB2 signals coming from a supposed ECU. Basically you're building your own CAN-BUS emulator and programming it as miss daisy style driving.

I never finished a prototype as I lost interest in the project, but I still have some code floating around somewhere.

I had the one from progressive and I unplugged it to check something with my laptop on my car. Maybe a code or something, I can't remember. I thought I set the progressive dongle on my toolbox or seat but I could not find it. Anywhere. To this day, I have no idea what happened to it, but Progressive started calling me and sending me threatening emails about having to return it, I shit you not. It was almost comical.

>lost interest
>also known as couldn't figure it out

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

>work a third shift job where I go in at midnight, get a lunch break at 3, and go home at 7
>insurance premiums skyrocket because I go to work

>for research purposes
yeah like those camwhore titpics

For now, due to privacy laws, you have to give them permission. But lobbyists are trying to change the laws right now. That info is worth a lot. The car companies have actually said they want to sell or leverage that data for more profits. So insurance companies would be willing to subscribe to such databases.

So we must all be aware of our privacy rights and oppose legislators that want to change our existing rights. Posters that say "tinfoil hat" or "lol who cares" are also the problem and enemy. Such people are why we have sucky laws. The politicians see such people and figure that they can sell the rest of us out because the people don't seem to care.

>The other way to do this would be to spoof signals from the CAN-BUS.
You'd have to duplicate the identification code string of the car plus the encrypted key made with each car's individual VIN.

If you could create a process to obtain that, then the databases could be spoofed to contain trash info on where we have been or who we are having an affair with. A divorce lawyer at present could subpoena both the driving records and cellphone GPS locations of the husband and the mistress to show they are in close proximity. Or that the mistress has been inside the car multiple times due to overlapping GPS signals.

>literally cucked from driving his car

>I was going to do a talk at DefCon on this.

At least spread the idea when you go to DefCon. Tracking what we do by tracking our vehicles is a terrible thing. And the presence of big data means we can be labeled as criminals simply because of coincidences such as the car is frequently nearby the cellphone of a known criminal. In the USA, that might be all the "evidence" needed to obtain one of those secretly provided search warrants by the terrorist court judges. The public is not allowed to know of those warrants as the terrorist database system is outside the Freedom of Information Act.

Feels good my car doesn't have any connection to the interwebs. If you want data from my car you have to actually plug into it.

>So we must all be aware of our privacy rights and oppose legislators that want to change our existing rights. Posters that say "tinfoil hat" or "lol who cares" are also the problem and enemy. Such people are why we have sucky laws. The politicians see such people and figure that they can sell the rest of us out because the people don't seem to care.
this, they are the Fudds of the privacy world

You assume too little logic on the part of law enforcement and that strategy would waste resources and time rounding up all the people who were "around" the terrorist's cell phone instead of the actual terrorist.

totally reasonable to be afraid of what can be done with big data, but that's a ridiculous scenario. More like:

>car has cellular AP
>national secuurity teams have already flagged the IMEI of suspected terrorist cell phone
>suspected terrorist is walking along, passes by car
>personal device passes into range of AP and starts a handshake procedure
>suspect's IMEI and the GPS location of the AP are reported to national security after built-in software identifies the data as flagged.
>police now have a precise location

to be honest though, there are easier ways of doing this right now than making everyone's cars phone home.

this

Seattle used to have little dome-shaped antenna on top of those silvery traffic control boxes as well as antenna elsewhere. They sensed the signals emanating from cars on the roadway and the central traffic computer identified all the vehicles.

The traffic lights in the congested downtown business district would then be synchronized to improve total traffic throughput especially for feeds to the Mercer onramps to the I-5 freeway. The city assured people concerned of visitation tracking that it didn't keep records of cars' visits longer than the xx minutes it needed to use to predict traffic patterns.

Liberty and State Farm also accept driving data from cars to reduce (or increase) rates.

unplug it and put it in the microwave.

but this is obviously b8

is there any benefit of driving with one of these things? does auto insurance go down a bit? i never had insurance under my name, would it be smart to get this for my first time?

Haha he's so stupid for trying to learn something new right?

>roommate gets high and wants to get food at midnight
>dude I can't drive right now lmao, can you drive my car senpai?
>oh by the way, I have this box thing from my insurance company that records driving and Will Save Me Money™
>no hard braking, no quick acceleration, no hard turning
>try to drive as carefully as possible
>accelerate normally when light turns green
>WHOA BRO IT PROBABLY JUST RECORDED THAT, THAT MEANS I DON'T GET THE SAVINGS THIS MONTH
>mfw this entire situation

When more and more drivers get these things, or when Onstar and all the other car manufacturer lobbyists get the privacy laws changed, all of our insurance rates will go up. Unless we drive like grandmas.

I can imagine how the next Veeky Forums Meets will go. Let's Hoon on this new road.... Everyone now tries to drive as close to the speed limit as possible with gradual stops. Don't want the software to record that we were on highway XYZ whose speed limit is 45MPH but we were going 60. The insurance company sees that data.

Get a power brick that puts out the same voltage as your OBD II (probably 12 volts)

Strip the output to bare power and ground.

Go for a leisurely drive at Sunday 7:30 am VERY GENTLY 5 blocks round trip.

Get home.

Pull near power brick.

Plug in OBD II to power supply.

Repeat this once a month for 6 months.

Get your discount, and never get one of these vehicle chastity devices ever again.

This is technically insurance fraud, so don't do it.

What mod?

Or get a car without OBD

> not like I'm cucked like you Americans, I choose to drive someone that runs on greenies tears

It's obsessed with affairs and GPS tracking/smartcar devices guy.

I know I've only spotted you twice now but remember that I know who you are just from the way you type at this point and you don't even have to say the words divorce or affair or GPS for me to know which posts are yours. Maybe I'll start archiving your posts?

what do you drive?

may as well kys for signing up for that thing

There are so many better insurance companies that are cheaper to. I hope you don't pay for PIP if you have health insurance

kys autist

>they are the Fudds of the privacy world
Some peeps actually want more surveillance. They got the attitude that only the guilty are afraid of the loss of privacy. So they mock or discourage others who talk about this stuff being bad.

Those are more like the gun grabbers of the privacy world

Would this even work on a tj? All I have is rpm, speedo (which is off due to big tires), and maf. Like, I have dummy brakes and such, so what could it record?

Built in g-forces meter.
TPS over 30%
RPM over 3000
Speed over speed limit

I took one of these and hooked it up to a battery, and took a 2 hour flight.
My insurance dropped me.

Ah, well I'm always in trouble cause I have the 3 speed so I'm always over 3k

Please leave, insurance company rep

All kinds of signals appear on OBD2. It seems too obvious that if they don't see "normal" statuses and signals appear routinely, that the OBD2 is being spoofed or the data lines are disconnected and only power is fed to the tracking device.

Not quite like you, but some onramps are shorter than others. SO I have to gun the engine and I keep getting "Hard Acceleration" listings on the device. The device also makes me drive like a "super safe driver" which is annoying not just to me but to all the other drivers.

There are some roads going to intersections with one way turns as the other roads are also one way and thus cannot be entered. So my road always curves to the right and it is silly to use a turn signal. But if I don't, that device records each time you don't use a turn signal when making a turn on a roadway. So my "good stats" are constantly going down into the gutter at this rate. But I never get wrecks that are my fault in the +20 years of driving (zero claim). So basically, I was a 100% cash cow for the insurance company due to no payments by the insurance.

I was rear ended in stop and go freeway traffic but that was not my fault. The lady in the honda was not paying attention. She was probably playing with her cell but she only said she dropped something and reached for it while still moving forwards in the stop and go traffic.

Yeah, I won't be installing one. Fuck that. State farm cost me nothing as is. 60 per month, and my deuce cost 10 a month.

Wait people are unironically putting these in their car?

Suck my stiff rod

Normalfags will do literally anything for convenience or to "save" money. Heavy quotes on that because they think "saving" is buying something they wouldn't have otherwise bought because it's 10% off.

What's wrong with you? What kind of degenerate works third shift? Get a day job like a normal person
T. Insurance company

Sums up my 300zx but it's worth it

this pepe harshes my mellows for some reason, looking at it makes me cringe

>I don't read contracts nor do I know how these devices work regarding insurance premiums

They're used to decrease premiums only (or if you drive like a dick, keep them how they are). The data is private and can only be used in criminal action if the police have requested it for an investigation. The devices are not recognized as calibrated and so cannot be used to determine speed for these investigations, location and car status only.

They're essentially a free LoJack if you hide them well enough, and they've been decreasing my premiums by 25% for the last 2 years.

If you wanna hoon around, unplug it for a day and go wild. So long as you don't unplug it more than a few times a month, they don't care or notice.

>What's wrong with you? What kind of degenerate works third shift? Get a day job like a normal person

>You poor people suck. Just move to a real day job.
>If you want to get rich, get a job as a billionaire
>People are poor because they choose to be.

I plugged it in and a puff of smoke came out.

Oh, did you not want me to plug it into the inverter output?

usually people end up paying more with those things and if you live in a place with snow its gonna be even worse since you gonna lose traction all the time and floor the gas pedal because the traction control cut the power.

Game is Beamng drive
Mod map called attitude I believe
No idea where the car is from

>Insurance rates go up because you drive at the time of day with the least amount of traffic.

Logic.

plugging in these devices voids the warranty in most cars.

>does auto insurance go down a bit? i never had insurance under my name, would it be smart to get this for my first time?

Remember, if this gives you a bad driving record, they will have that data for all time. Absent any other data, they can always point to that data as the truth as to how you drive.

As for savings, if you have a GM car with Onstar, you have far more than needed. Go to the Onstar website and sign up for the SMART DRIVER program. It has an option to send your driving data to multiple insurance companies. The companies then make an offer after 3 months of driving data.

Smart Driver is more sensitive to hard brakes than Progressive. It labels something as a hard brake whereas Progressive does not.

I mean, aren't you a genius?

>why not fuck with 'em?
Technically, creating fraudulent data for the insurance company is a crime. While almost everyone tries to fool the insurance company for lower payments, in your case, you are fooling them for higher payments.

You can also sign up for Smart Driver WITHOUT sending the data to the insurance companies. You will then be able to see your driving data evaluation updated each week. You go to the website and see the graphs as well as other numbers on your driving.

There's also advice on your driving style data towards with regards to improving your MPG.

>most users of those things saw rate increases
Oh, look, it's this bullshit meme again.

>They claim to not get your GPS data
No, they actually don't. The fucking picture you posted even says "some devices contain GPS technology"

>I make the mistake of having it on in freeway stop and go driving. Over 30 hard brakes per month. I had to switch insurance companies.
>I drove like shit and my insurance went up

They need to make it auto post on instagram them everybody would be dying to get them I'm their car

Everything is wrong with this post

That posts predicts the future. Right now, Progressive and others want people to accept the things. They don't want a negative impression that would stop legislators from changing the privacy laws.

Once the insurance companies have legal rights to access your driving data, see where you go, see what you do, or even see if you visit questionable places like bars at 10PM, it can then raise rates all over the place.