Dash Cams

I wish to emulate the dark genius of Russia and protect my car with video evidence of shit drivers potentially causing havoc on society.

I noticed some models that had a rear facing recording camera as well. Can anyone recommend models that they like?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Street-Guardian-SG9665GC-microSD-Supercapacitor/dp/B00U0OJMYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486308848&sr=8-1&keywords=street guardian
amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B00X528FNE/ref=sr_1_5?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1486308868&sr=1-5&keywords=dash cam
amazon.com/SpyTec-GPS-Logger-1440p-Camera/dp/B01HN0HBFG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1486309159&sr=1-3&keywords=a119
amazon.com/Channel-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B01EX8ATKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486313804&sr=8-1&keywords=Rexing V1P
amazon.com/VIOFO-A119S-DashCam-IMX291-Novatek/dp/B01MFAK888/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1486336918&sr=1-2&keywords=a119s
oppositelock.kinja.com/the-most-expensive-joy-ride-ever-recorded-in-quebecs-h-1445902758/1446288857
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
amazon.com/Jackery-Premium-Portable-External-Panasonic/dp/B00EA1P8OI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486497094&sr=8-3&keywords=jackery
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

All I can tell you is don't cheap out. I got some $30 one that shuts off randomly so it's basically useless. Don't even consider anything under $50

get a stealth one so you don't fuck yourself over if you are at fault, or so some idiot doesn't break your $500 windows to steal your GPS thing.

I've heard this. Looking at the offerings, most models seem like bottom-of-the-barrel cheap Chinese consumer trash. Which makes it that much more difficult to find the most polished turd out of the lot.

Or just take it off display whenever you leave your car.

I bought two separate cameras, one for the front, one for the rear. Last I knew, no one really put out a good dual channel system, normally the rear camera records at a lower quality than the front. Not really a big deal, since the rear camera is useless 99% of the time anyway, but something to keep in mind.

I got the Street Guardian wedge shaped camera, it works pretty well. Always records fine, quality is good enough, night recording is pretty decent, and it'll take up to a 128 gig micro SD card. Comes with GPS, so you can have speed displayed on the video, as well as a date and time stamp, though the date/time stamp isn't really useful outside of record keeping.

Also comes with quite a lot of extras in the box, the adhesive tape actually works really well. Installed the cameras when it was like 25 degrees out, had days well below zero, and the cameras are still held on just fine. It also comes with a polarizing filter, which helps reduce windshield glare to just about nothing.

Had both cameras for about a month now, only issue I've had was the rear camera got stuck on boot up - it'd just keep playing the start up noise and never actually start up. Downloaded a new firmware version, installed it as per instructions, camera works fine again. Took maybe 10 minutes to do.

It's also pretty easy to save footage when you want to keep something. Like when someone does something particularly stupid, all you have to do is press the middle button on the camera and it saves that clip. Not really possible on the rear camera, so you have to sort through the footage if you want to keep something, but very easy to do with a front camera. Also, the camera saves the footage with the date and time as the file name, so it's relatively easy to find what you're after if you set the date and time correctly on the camera.

All in all, pretty decent cameras, but spendy at $200 a pop. You can get a generic version for about half the cost which works nearly as well in all aspects, it has a slightly different processor and sensor, but still does pretty good. Might be a better bet if you're looking to keep costs down.

The one I got - amazon.com/Street-Guardian-SG9665GC-microSD-Supercapacitor/dp/B00U0OJMYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486308848&sr=8-1&keywords=street guardian

The recommended generic - amazon.com/V1-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B00X528FNE/ref=sr_1_5?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1486308868&sr=1-5&keywords=dash cam

They're astoundingly small cameras, if you have that black colored stuff around your rear view mirror, they're pretty difficult to see from outside the car.

Thanks for the advice. That particular camera looks pretty robust, looking at the specs. If this isn't the one, its certainly looks like a good base line to compare other models to. I'll do some more research.

Can confirm, I have the generic. From what I understand the GPS on the Rexing doesn't work as well, but as a plain dash cam it works great!! Awesome quality

Another good option, this one is a fairly new release, has higher definition recording, and comes with a GPS sensor, which honestly is a nicer set up than the street guardian version - this one just sticks on the back, no extra cables needed.

amazon.com/SpyTec-GPS-Logger-1440p-Camera/dp/B01HN0HBFG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1486309159&sr=1-3&keywords=a119

Probably the better bet in the $100 price range.

unless you're wary of hit and runs in the parking lot

Rexing V1P

Best Dashcam I have ever owned. Good night quality too.

amazon.com/Channel-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B01EX8ATKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486313804&sr=8-1&keywords=Rexing V1P

My computer is being 100% retarded right now and won't let me view

Front Cam Screenshot 1/5

FCS 2/5

FCS 3/5

FCS 4/5

I have 2 screenshots for the rear view cam which isn't the best but good if you get rear ended.

FCS 5/5

RIP

Moment of impact

Rear View Camera Screenshot 1/2

Is it fun watching impacts after you clear everything up?

RVS 2/2

Considering I wasn't found at fault yeah its interesting to re-watch. Mostly though its cool when you catch crazy or stupid shit happening and save it for a good laugh later.

Where are the photos of you slamming that fuckers head on their own hood?

None unfortunately :( He wouldn't get out of the car until the cop showed up which was about 5 minutes because the police station was right down the road.

He just kept giving me a thumbs up.

I also have a Rexing V1, very happy with it so far

The best dash cam I've seen yet is Datakam G5, but unfortunately, it's
>dark genius of Russia

Jesus, how menacing did you look if he didn't even dare get out of the car?

I'm a grill

that's even more terrifying

Makes sense

I remember rolling over a mascara-tube or whatever they call them, belonging to my ex, with my office chair... she was pouting and glaring at me as if I'd ran over her puppy the whole night

Not a great look

this sounds crazy enough to be real

>mfw i can recognize massachusetts with 99% certainty just from the road condition alone
>JUST LOOKING AT THE FUCKING ASPHALT I CAN TELL ITS MASSACHUSETTS
>THATS HOW FUCKED THIS STATE'S ROADS ARE

to be fair most of rhode island looks like that too

that's even more menacing imo

>i can recognize massachusetts just from the road condition
>most of rhode island looks like that too

My state actually collects taxes from the rich people, so our roads are all pretty good even way out away from the city. As long as it is a public road with traffic on it, it gets repaired. No traffic roads is different, but those are usually to abandoned locations or seasonal access roads for logging. The private companies make deals with the state to maintain those roads whose traffic is almost wholly for private property or private service use.

post feet

>speed displayed on the video
horrible idea. never do this.

36 on a 35, tbone someone pulling out without looking, you were 1 over the limit, you're blamed for some of the fault, only get 70% of the insurance claim.

>unless you're wary of hit and runs in the parking lot
The problem is the camera turns off when the car is off. It uses power from the accessory port.

Are there cameras that remain on to capture hit and runs in the parking lot? That would need side view cameras because the rear view camera wouldn't get a license plate at the time of actual impact. In court, the ID has to be positively made at the actual impact. Simply having a license plate of a car driving off will not be proof.

>Are there cameras that remain on to capture hit and runs in the parking lot?

Yes they call it parking guard.

>you can have speed displayed on the video
The state of washington legally specifies the speed limit to be an Absolute Limit. It is neither the target speed of a vehicle nor is it the average speed of vehicles. It is the maximum speed of any vehicle at any time including passing maneuvers.

So if there was any accident, and you were even 1 MPH over the absolute limit, the opposition lawyer would say you share some of the fault. The award or repair compensation to you might be reduced due to shared guilt in creating the accident.

amazon.com/VIOFO-A119S-DashCam-IMX291-Novatek/dp/B01MFAK888/ref=sr_1_2?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1486336918&sr=1-2&keywords=a119s

That's my recommendation. Have one in the Miata. Works awesome and records good video.

Lol. One of your constitutional rights is to not have to present evidence against yourself you stupid underage or worse retard

I also use this one. The wifi feature is convenient for pulling video off of it quickly.

>implying he's not from euroland that doesn't even think self-defense is a right

the ones with rear-cameras are pretty wide-angle. more for videoing occupants in case of injury i guess? I used to work at an extremely busy halfords and the only people who bought them were taxi/uber drivers.

I got myself a yi dashcam and it work pretty well. Got some recording myself that is somewhat interesting. Not interesting enough to spend time uploading them. The only downside is the night recording is not so great.

Is it any good to get a rear cam that is part of the rear license plate frame? Does that give a better view than an interior camera? Or does it get too dirty to give a clear picture?

go to techmoan's YouTube... i think he has a web page, too

he has tons of great reviews on dash cams and he is not Jewish

I've heard good things about the A118/9.

I want a camera that stays on when parked because I'm worried jealous people will punch my side view mirrors. Any recommendations for an all day camera? Do I hard wire it to the battery or get a portable battery pack?

I guess I got lucky, bought one for something like 30€ and it has worked well for the past 6 months
>and now that I've posted this it'll stop working

NeVeR cHaNgE /DashcAm/, never change.
XD

Cheeky fucking shit. Good on you for keeping your calm and doing the sane thing.

i use a AUKEY dashcam. the video quality and angle are much better than my russian one i used to have. its small, easily concealed behind the rearview mirror and you can barely see it from the outside.

you could go with one of those big portable usb chargers than can do a phone 2-3x on a full battery. Install that, plug the dashcam into that and plug the charging cable into the cig lighter when you drive so the battery gets fed.

>go with one of those big portable usb chargers than can do a phone 2-3x on a full battery.
I haven't found one that has a feed through. All the ones I see have only ONE usb connector. That connector is used to either charge the device or supply power to the phone. I'd like to find one that has a connector that lets me leave it connected to a usb port to charge and a separate usb port for the phone to plug into it.

That would let me avoid unplugging and replugging usb wires to the dashcam AND the usb charger each time I start the car or stop the car.

constitutional rights get violated every day, just like laws get broken. Not openly incriminating yourself is smarter than putting faith in the court system.

>constitutional rights get violated every day, just like laws get broken
And privileged people get away with crimes that normal people cannot.

But if we all give up on the system, then things only get worse.

I have the Eken H9. Its an action camera but works fine as a dashcam too.

Any great dashcams out there? I'm willing to spend big bucks on one because a while back... I bought a shitty $25 dashcam that never did what it was intended to do, i.e. fucking record as it kept going off. I even kept it plug in my 12 volt outlet to keep it powered on. I've ran into so many close accidents and thought my dashcam would of picked it up. But didn't. I have a spare $400 on hand.

möbius
anyone who doesn't have this camera is a retard

Look at the previous dashcam threads for more ideas and example images the Veeky Forums users got out of them. You can then judge if the camera resolution is upscaled or not.

You should never record yourself driving.
Take these guys as example :

oppositelock.kinja.com/the-most-expensive-joy-ride-ever-recorded-in-quebecs-h-1445902758/1446288857

1. Not America
2. Bike gopro cameras are outside of private property (like the interior of a car with rolled up windows) and can be seen directly by police. They don't need a warrant even in America for helmet cams.
3. They were doing massively illegal shit with tons of witnesses, with police witnessing some of it. It's their fault for recording it instead of turning it off before doing illegal shit.
4. Donorcyclists are retarded and deserve whatever happens to them.

30 euros is about 50 USD.

I have a mini 0805. Don't get one.
>started exhibiting inductor whine that obliterates the audio after a couple of months
>battery doesn't hold a charge anymore (it's a year old)
>randomly doesn't record and needs a reformat
From what I've seen and experienced, basically all bespoke dashcams are complete trash. They're either unreliable like mine or have shite image quality. You're best off using one of the many high quality gopro clones with dashcam mode suction cupped to your windshield.

>They're either unreliable like mine or have shite image quality
You may have bought a counterfeit. The Amazon marketplace is full of counterfeit resellers. China has lots of counterfeiters that duplicate successful chinese products. They hope to sell the copies by riding on the reputation of the original maker.

The irony of your post is that you said "gopro clone". So you continue to go down the chinese counterfeit route. A lot of copies are good, but some are bad as they are made from reject (out of spec) parts. Those makers dump those products to clone seekers like yourself for a quick profit.

How hard is it to install dash cams, especially on older cars? My car is from the 80s

I got a Rexing V1 from a Christmas raffle at work, I have it powered from the fusebox with this shit but on some occasions it doesn't turn on automatically when I start the car.
Any suggestions to fix this?

As always I'll add mine, Street Guardian SGZC12SG V2 – PRO SERIES, the big brother of and Quality is terrific but the mics on them are pretty eh. Runs on capacitor so if you really are keen to have the GPS coordinates and speed logged you'll have to let your car idle for a couple of minutes to let the cam boot up properly, slight downside but better than battery ones where they rarely last a year.

Semi related question: how do you guys go about making high quality yet short WebM's of dashcam footage? no matter what settings I use on WebM converter they always come out as looking 480p when it originally records in 1080p, even using various video software to shorten clips they look shithouse compared to the original .mp4

If you can run a USB cable from your cigarette lighter to charge your phone then you shouldn't have any problems.

what webm converter are you using?

Piece of piss, at least if you have a battery/cig lighter set up. Depends how you want it set up, best way is with minimal wiring visible and the cam tucked up behind your rear view mirror. Routed mine from the cig lighter straight into the dash under the CD player, wire going from out the back of the AC vents behind it, up and behind the glovebox into the pillar trim and tucked into the roof lining where it comes out right behind the rear view mirror. If it wasn't such a huge camera and lens it's be pretty unnoticeable to the average thief.

WebM for retards, appropriately.

post settings i guess

variable is better than constant & larger video frames will need more bitrate (and therefore filesize) to look good, so its mostly just about tweaking it to find the sweet spot

I let the program do it for me as there isn't many detailed WebM guides out there and I would have no idea where to start on setting bitrate etc.. I try and keep clips to absolute minimum time, crop size etc for better quality, just all looks like ass.

Set your bitrate fairly high (4000-6000) if you have a decent PC and don't mind waiting a little while longer.

I'll start at that, cheers.

>How hard is it to install dash cams, especially on older cars?

It's easy enough. Dash cams benefit from being higher up, so they shouldn't be on the dashboard despite the "dash cam" name. They either attach with adhesive velcro to the back of the mirror or by suction cup.

Because the dash cams get power from the accessory port, they usually have a mini-usb connector. From the cam that is mounted by the mirror, the usb cable is hidden in the headliner and then goes across to the passenger side trim. It then snakes down behind the B-pill before inobtrusively coming out the base across the carpet. It goes under the passenger seat and then to the accessory port hidden inside the center console (which most cars have). But your 1980 would have that cig lighter on the front dash. So you would probably just drop a straight line down to the power adapter plugged into the lighter socket.

But if you wanted to hide the wiring, you'd snake it along the trim like I mentioned. Stores sell USB 2.0 type extension cables so you can use that to extend the reach of the cable across that long distance along the trim.

There are fairly flush USB power ports that plug into cigarette or accessory power ports. I use the Adreama branded one. They make a variety of colors, but this one is almost flush with the top lip of the power port. I like stealth because anything that shines, sticks out, has stripes or garish metallic colors will attract thieves walking thru the parking lot scouting the cars for something to grab. Attracting attention is bad.

Adapters must be branded and not counterfeit. There are lots of copycats that suck. I bought mine thru Fry's Electronics since Amazon is full of copycats of the Adreama device. Normal price $9.99 seems Fry's is discontinuing Adreama.

UPC #609224057335
Model #DCCHARGDUO3BLK

this fork has been updated a lot more
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Neat, so hard to keep track of forks of Veeky Forums made shit, they come and go by the dozen.

The fuck

I bought it from a website recommended by one of the dashcam websites, and described as "verified genuine"

You sperging out about "gopro clones" shows that you don't know shit about what's out there. There are several action cams in the gopro size format which are actually very good, and I wish I hadn't spent $250 on a gopro because of how good they are.

What if my cigarette lighter is in the center console? (because it is)

which ones are these good clones?

verified genuine doesn't mean much in some cases because copycats duplicate the brand name packaging as well. even Consumer Reports had problems with getting valid tires through official distribution channel sellers. CR was informed by the chinese makers that the tires used by CR in the reviews were not authorized tires and thus the product reviews were invalid.

>which ones are these good clones?
Why don't you take a look around. It's common info which gopro sized action cams are good and which are complete shit. Techmoan on youtube is a good place to start. The GIT series and Yi 4K are highly recommended amongst tech reviewers.

The chinese tire companies were just using technicalities to avoid bad reviews of their tires. Consumer Reports purchased the tires from official sellers of those brands. That would be like buying a badged 2017 Trumpchi and reviewing it (with DOT approval which they give for testing (not street driving) purposes). But then the company says the review is invalid because the car was not authorized for use by americans in america.

Find one that takes 12v directly and tap into the cigarette lighter circuit. And clean your rustang ffs.

amazon.com/Jackery-Premium-Portable-External-Panasonic/dp/B00EA1P8OI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486497094&sr=8-3&keywords=jackery

I use this one for my electronics. it should work for what you are thinking of

Thank you, I hadn't known such a thing existed. My searching methods are apparently imperfect and I appreciate your help.

There's probably plenty of other people on here who can use such a device too with their dash cams and turn them into Parking Lot Collision Cameras while they are in the store.

I park my new car nose in and don't have rear view yet but I will. I used to park nose out with the older car, but everyone would bash the fender backing out or tap the front of the car backing out their long vehicle. So to protect my new car's expensive nose, I park nose in. The new cars don't have visible front bumpers sticking way out. So the first thing cars hit is the chrome surrounding the grill, then the grill itself, then the hood lip, then headlights, then the lower grill, and finally the metal bumper which is located far back behind the expensive fascia. ARGH. Sure bumpers in front looked uglier, but at least they were the point of first contact to prevent expensive cosmetic damage.

that was actually a picture from before I cleaned it, I had a few other pictures I wanted advice on how to clean it