Sports Car under $25k

Hypothetically if you had $25K for a car for college what would you get.
This is hypothetical. Not real.
People get jealous when things like this are real, this is just a situation.

I'm feeling the new WRX personally, but any other hypothetical recommendations are welcome.
Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=437555074&endYear=2018&pageLayout=list&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1981&mmt=[LOTUS[LOTELISE[]][]]
carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/20548929
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

buy some $1000 junker and save the 24 grand

used manual toyota matrix.

This but get a beater and a nice bike and still have atleast 15-20 left

a moped
if your college is anything like the ones here you'll be willing to kill for the ability to park anywhere

used mustang gt

Lotus fucking Elise

Mazda ND with the soft top

If you're going to school, don't lol.

Used Subaru WRX STI

This

I drive a 2007 Impala that cost me nothing since it's my dad's old work car and has over 350k miles on it.

I also bought a 2006 SV650S for $2500 that easily fulfills my desire for "fun" driving.

civic for 3k. save your money for loans or for relocating when you finish or buying a house once you have a job for a year.

You know the WRX isn't a sports car right?

I had a 350z in college. Dumb girls thought I drove a Porsche.

College girls seriously think 350z's are Porsches. You don't want to pass this opportunity.

Smart thing would be to get an econobox and save the other ~$20K, but
>Pontiac Solstice
>Nissan Z series
>Mazda Miata
Those are actual sports cars that are affordable. The WRX isn't a sports car, but it's advertised as "sporty" and is pretty fun.

GT86

I wanted a new sport sedan around 25k, test drove the focus st and wrx because those are basically the only options (didn't want a gti). Chose the wrx after the test drives but it did end up being like 28k.

This isn't for college though this is for leaving college.

Yeah but nowadays you can get an ACTUAL Porsche for $25k

With all sincerity, if you're going to be parking it and driving it around campus, don't bother buying anything near that much. Just buy some 1-3k beater, or if you dive a lot, a ~7k econbox. Some dumb cunt or douche is going to nail you and you'll be glad you made the right choice and invested the rest of the money elsewhere. A nice bike will bring more fun than anything in that price range can snag up unless you plan on really tinkering with it (turbo, forging...). If you must have a sports car, get a meme-ata or old m3, or something that suits you but you wont cry over if/when it gets destroyed or stolen.

I'm about to graduate and just bought a 2017 WRX. Fucking love the car. First manual as well. Everytime I walk up to it, I'm like "Fuck Yeah! This is my car." It's WRB as well.

>WRX
>sports car
Pick one.

370z

Personally not a fan of the new wrx after having driven my brother's on several occasions. There is truth to the whole "Camry sport" meme when you're driving regularly, but it is a very capable performer when you push the car. Unfortunately even though it does perform, I can't say it's particularly "fun" and the gearbox is uninspiring to say the least. I find my civic si more fun to drive than the new wrx (although I'm probably biased) even if it's slower and doesn't handle as well

my si outhandles my friends 2015 wrx anyday of the week, Subaru really dropped the ball trying to cater to a larger market

Which gen do you drive? My 8th gen FEELS like it handles better than the wrx but in reality the wrx can corner at a higher speed, it grips really well. I'm on shitty all seasons though so I can't be sure.

9th gen on koni's and lowering springs (with an actual alignment not stance nation bullshit)

g37 coupe*

>Being able to buy a house at 23

Living in Toronto truly is suffering

how the fuck do you have money to buy a new car at the end of college user

>Hypothetically if you had $25K for a car for college what would you get.
2017 wrx

This or an evo 8/9

Dakota RT and a Paxton supercharger. Way faster than anything you can buy for under 60 grand and it would cost less than 10k.

2009+ RX-8 with over $10k left over is the best balance of an economical choice, because they're rather new yet depreciated so fast so they're cheap, without being something too old and likely run down.

>eats brake pads for breakfast instead of having an actual lsd

man that's a brutally ugly car

good job subaru's haven't been relevant since 1999 kek

Get a 90's Mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 if you really feel like all wheel drive, because seriously the wrx meme is getting old. Just because it is popular doesn't mean that it is the best vehicle in that price range. I seriously urge you to consider buying used instead if you intend to own the vehicle for an extended period of time, that will open up your performance options quite a bit.

Previous gen WRX with the FA20, or go for an older STi with the EJ25. Consider also an E46 M3, S2K, or a newish RX-8.

I'm starting a $70k job after graduating, would it be dumb to buy a focus rs?

its the same as an sti body without the ugly ass wing

If you have no major expenses go for it.

I'd just like a fast hatchback so if not that I think I'd get a 3rd gen wrx

I'd get the old wrx, see if you really like living with / hooning that sort of car and then if you do upgrade to the RS down the line when dealer markup comes down from the stratosphere.

Are you student loans paid off?

Do that first. I'm assuming you might have like 6% interest rate. Don't open up a new loan while paying off 6% interest. Pay your loans off early and then you can easily afford almost any car you want.

Pretty sure the 16 sti can come without the wang
no need to cheap out on a wrx.
but if we're talking 25k you ain't getting any sti younger than 2012

Money clearly won't be a problem for you but I'm always apprehensive about going for brand new cars in their 1st generation because the design flaws aren't really known until the car has been manufactured for a couple years.

used 350z, 300zx tt/t, J30, 3.0l maxima, sileighty, 240sx, 180sx, G35, I30, or a used Nismo Juke

E46 M3

Mommy and daddy paid for most and I worked to pay the rest so no loans and I have about 1 year of good credit history.

I figure all tallied up owning an RS will be about $1k a month which is a dent but I can manage. Will probably do this instead and see what happens. I'm just afraid of all the cool manual cars disappearing.

Buy an old Datsun Z for a few grand and save the rest. Unless you're legitimately wealthy, a $25k car is retarded. I don't care if you see people driving around in nice cars all the time. Those people are swimming in debt and if a single bad thing happened to them financially/health wise, guess what happens to their fancy car and it's smugfart soaked seats?

did this but with a 2500 dollar bike, smoked some faggot with a 2016 mustang gt.
>more than you can afford pal
feels gud

my 8th gen Si was shite until i put super sports on it.(koni and GC springs)
all seasons 'all'ways suck, got steelies and winter tires for 200 on CL

>he thinks he can get a coupe, manual transmission, unmolested e46 m3 for under $25k

sorry about that mate, all the niggers who own them want upwards of 30 grand for them

the exhaust also sounds like a bunch of bees and pebbles rattling around in a tin can

You make them sound so easy to find.

I see e46 m3s all day long under $25k. Not sure where you're at bro.

Hypothetical car for 25k? Professionally swapped Ls1 e36

WRX just look immature. Take that as you will

They are out there, most with rusty floorboards besides in California but that's an easy fix. Just watch out for rusty frame rails in engine bay. Those can be fixed but is harder. Dummies kind of jumped on the bandwagon though and are driving up prices for junk.

>brake pads
so fucking what, stop warping your brakes faggot I bet your front brakes wear out before your rear because you think breaking hard is just sooooo cool

>Pretty sure the 16 sti can come without the wang
yea if you blew 45k for one with the option to remove it, every WRX STI comes with a wing

E39 M5

Audi S4

Then once you have 3 months proof of income, as long as you can get a loan that's less than 3-3.5% APR or so for a 36 month loan, and you can afford the payments on a 36 month loan, go ahead.

"What you can afford" basically means your income minus debts, taxes, etc. That could mean a car that costs as much as you make a year, half as much, or only a quarter, depending how much your cost of living is and how much money you blow on stuff.

A $40,000 Focus RS, with $10,000 put down, paid over 3 years at 3.5% APR, is $879 per month.
That would be a little over 1/7th of your income before taxes for the finance payment alone.
Yes, you can afford it, if you rent and other expenditures aren't too high. It's simple math. Just make sure you add up all your expensive including food, health care, gas, see what the car insurance would cost, etc.

You could also consider just leasing it if you don't think you'll want to have the car for almost a decade or more. That will be much cheaper.

Try to find a used shelby from the last decade.

alternatively 2011+ mustang GT.

Fuck imports in general.

Why is leasing cheaper than financing if you don't want to own it a decade? Buying cash (not financing or leasing) is the best regardless of how long you want to own it, right? Provided that there isn't some crazy leasing deal where they figure an 82% residual after three years or some shit.

You probably shouldn't ask questions of people who plainly have no idea what they're talking about.

Previous gen FA20?
Low profile trunk spoiler a $45,000 level option?

lol.

There is no previous generation FA20DIT, the current generation is the first generation of WRX to have the powerplant.

The no spoiler trunk is a $0 option on the STi Limited and there are hordes of boy racing faggots that will gleefully trade you (and maybe even add money on top) their no-wing WRX trunks for your STi wing if you buy the base STi instead.

Whether the WRX looks immature or not depends entirely on your choice of color for the car. WRB and red = boy racer ish. Black, Grey, White, Silver? Looks just aggressive enough to where people are unsure what to think of it.

The days of insane dealer markup are also over. People are buying these things at thousands under MSRP all day long - especially now that the 2018's are announced and sales are slowed down a bit while the fanboys hem and haw about whether they're going to wait or buy now.

Whether the WRX is for you or not depends entirely on what you're looking for. In the ~$25-26k price range (totally doable on the base model depending on who you're negotiating with) there literally isn't a car that can compare to the WRX. It's roomy af for a compact, has the best AWD system until you get into the fancier trick systems from the luxury brands, and is the most performance you're going to get out of a new sedan until you're spending way more money.

There are other 4dr options in the category that offer more refinement, more tech, or more luxury, though, so at the end of the day it's about what kind of car it is you actually want to buy.

Because if you want to continuously have a new car, you're only paying for a bit of the depreciation.

If you buy a new car with cash, or less than 1.5% financing, and sell it privately for a bit more than it's worth, then yes that is cheapest.
But if you finance a new car for any more than 1.5%, then you trade it in and get less than its worth, it usually ends up costing you significantly more than if you financed.

Also consider your payments. Lease payments are much lower than a 3 year loan.
If you extend the financing out to be like 8-10 years so its a similar payment, the interest ends up being far higher. If you then financing a new car, all that old interest you didn't pay off gets rolled into the new loan. Or you pay it all off, and you're paying a lot more interest.

Dealers push leases because it allows them to sell the car twice, but it's really a win-win, usually, for the leasee and the dealer, and it's the person who buys the used car after it's been leased is making up the difference. USUALLY. You'd have to run the numbers to make sure, but for some cars you can't actually estimate their depreciation correctly and that unknown variable makes it hard to tell.
But because of that unknown variable, that's another reason that leases tend to be lower amounts or else they wouldn't be attractive.

if you can find one for 25k i'd applaud you

and then go buy it myself

m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=437555074&endYear=2018&pageLayout=list&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1981&mmt=[LOTUS[LOTELISE[]][]]

I guarantee 25k would move it

if only they hadn't ruined it with their "$10k" wrap job.. Interior looks pretty beat too

Thanks

Here's a better one
carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/20548929

>leasing a car
>ever

yeah I sure love not owning anything and having to worry about going over miles

>salvage title

next

The used market for these is fucking saturated now. Don't believe the subaru tax on these models. Also for some reason premiums aren't selling, can get a nicer car for base money.

I own a 2015 and ive put almost 80k miles on it, I'm the type that just wants a snappy DD that won't make everyone want to race me, it does gud. I want to buy something a little nicer wanna buy mine?

2010 m5
2013 5.0
2010 srt8 charger
2013 camaro ss
2006 vette
2006 porsche carrera
98 toyota supra maybe?
2010 cts v
C63 amg
2010 evo
20k on coke and 5k on exotic strippers

good rec's, thanks senpai

>>I'm the type that just wants a snappy DD that won't make everyone want to race me

How do you manage that? I've had a 2017 Limited for like... a month and I've already had 2 Evo X, some kind of Infiniti trying to goad me into racing and I've barely gotten past the break-in period. On the one hand it's kinda cool since I've never had a car perceived as a performance vehicle before, on the other hand I don't want to be doing stupid shit in a brand new car.

>not realizing that what you pay is directly going towards the cars value
>if you go over your miles, the car depreciates more, and you simply pay the depreciation that you've caused extra

You fucking child. Sometimes leasing is a bad idea, sometimes its a good idea. Grow up and stop parroting this drivel grown from the kids on this board.

college girls aren't an opportunity theyre a dead end

>buying a house at 23 anywhere
goobgob ples

Looking back, I wish I drove some normal $5k beater in college. I'd have more time to spend on studying instead of fixing my shitty "race cars".

Get a 15 year old civic or corolla.

wait to actually work for a year.

>10 year old evos track better than a modern wrx
>best AWD system
Subaru is so stagnant it's actually painful. Congrats on them beefing up the tranny a bit for 2018 though.

yeah i got a 174k basic work Dodge Ram 1500 (absolutely no frills + manual trans 'cept ac and radio but drives great) for 2k and a bike for 1.5k

had a beater '99 outback before the truck

You're an idiot

>Subaru is stagnant.
Go back to watching RCR, you furry faggot.

Buy any of the $500-$1000k S-chassis, turbo beaters, or other projects the other techs are trying to get rid of and the other $24,000 on parts, mawds, and tunes

paint if theres any money left once its BILT NAWT BAWT

yes, that car is small and not that functional, you can get a better bang for your buck

>stiffen the sti way up
>improve the suspension
>still an understeering pig in stock form
It's literally the AWD system that remains the problem.

>Owner of a WRX here treating this as if it was an honest question

Get a decent used one for < $10k and put the rest towards retirement/stocks. One of the most liberating thing to do as an automobile owner is to have enough money to pay off any issue a car has. Buy an 80% version of the car you like, and save for issues or if the eventual mod bug bites

C5 Corvette.

Bought a condo 2 weeks at 22

Mk7 gti

yeah I should have noted the Si is my summer car (track set up, full bolt ons, turbo, tuned) so I have very aggressive summers on it.

dumb duck if you live in Toronto/Van or an overpriced us city otherwise you might be ok