incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

homph.com/steam/
webmshare.com/yAazW
lua.org/
tools.aggydaggy.com/engines.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Actually decent OP on first try. Good job!
Now watch three more threads being pushed.

So close to a good thread.
So close, yet you used that abomination of an image.

Good thread.... I think

No more arguing. No more hating. It's time for you to make a game. Practice your skills, and make your game great!

you're the rob, boss.

>misc
>((other))
>gm on top
>unity on top
Dayum son.

>gamemaker on top
>when Godot outclasses it in nearly every aspect
When will this meme end?

>unity listed above ue4
Unity is at most the wife of UE4. Like a common whore, Unity gets used by everyone and in the end bends over for UE4.

>defying game maker's rightful place on olympus
The list doesn't lie.
homph.com/steam/

Got any recommendations?

Remade my aiming system to be more free.
IT was a pain in the ass to make it work in both client and server.

I recommend just like making game!

>Like a common whore, Unity gets used by everyone
Yes anytime an application does it's job well and is used by many people it's because the application is trash, like a whore. I get it.

>the heat
>the noise
>the smell
>the projectiles threatening to destroy unstably positioned electronica
>the person in the inaccessible compartment above the door who is most likely dead
This picture is not comfy.

You niggers will argue about anything

I suppose next you'd argue skub belongs up there somewhere, wouldn't you? Fucking degenerates.

webmshare.com/yAazW

Continued toying with the shield shattering effect, now the music slows down when everything else does

>pro-skub
What kind of casual are you taking me for, boyo?

pretty sure the abyss is enginedev

>unity on top
Objectively Correct

I was banned for posting racist shit on /v/, and i was too lazy to pass this gif to my ban evasion laptop.

There was an user having trouble with shoulders
hope this helps

not that guy, but i am working on modeling atm so thanks!

Well there wasn't even a point to making that image in the first place. So I can throw in my opinion too.

>let's use an animated format for referential instruction pictures
How about not doing that?

Best tutorials come in this format

There are fouler things than engine devs in the great deep. Wretched things. Worse than nodevs.

The undev.

subtle spoilers

Much better. Appreciated.

Experiment status report update. Metroid Prime clone project "Dread" is nearing the final stages of initiation.

What was the name of that single-click game?
The player could only perform 1 action, clicking...

that rake is gonna injure somebody

what kind of psycho brings a rake to a pillow fight?

Same kind of people using boardshields and 2x4s

Don't be a pussy. They're just grills

Leafs need to go.

THE ONE WHO'S GOING TO WIN user

I think the dude trapped in the upper right compartment is about to get raped.

There's a million of those games. Often called incremental games, idle games, or clicker games.

The technical term is struggle-snuggle.
There's also someone filming it, right next to the previous, spent victim.

>tfw haven't resumed clicker heroes game in over 1.5 years
The numbers are probably unthinkable now and would take forever to reach just leveling everything up.

All right, now that I've got 3D fighters working, I need some input.

For context, for people who might not have seen my progress stuff, the game is effectively Smash MUGEN. You'd be able to drop in all sorts of fighters and take them to battle with each other. My question to you is, what extent of work do you think is reasonable to expect a content creator to do? Keep in mind the game will be released in an open-source format, meaning anyone could open up Unity and modify things if they needed to.

1. Should character creation require the creator to use Unity? Even if it's just for simply creating a prefab or an animator?

2. For 2D fighters, which do you think is more reasonable? Manually defining, for each sprite, any anchor points (like for holding items, or for keeping articles like the pictured headband in place), or to convert any frame-by-frame animation to bone animation to use a similar parenting structure as 3D models?

3. Is it reasonable to expect for 2D animations, a text file that defines the boundaries and framerate of every spritesheet animation?

4. Should stages be able to be created dynamically from configuration files, or is it all right to expect a user to create a Unity scene for the stage?

Basically, what do you think should be the technical level I can expect from a fighter creator? Should I do everything in my power to make sure it's 110% idiot proof, or just accept that the only people likely to want to make fighters are willing to put in some work to make sure everything's going to go smoothly?

There is a guy outside the 4th wall

>Game Maker
>anything but twelve year old tier

>UE4
A great engine, but only optimized for one very specific type of game.

>Unity
Objectively trash. There is a reason everyone is moving away from it.

Only if you're retarded.
Proprietary software is shit.

So then what remains? Just enginedev?

unity, gamemaker and C++/OGL are the top three finished games tier approaches for AGDG

The only move to win is not to dev.

Ooh, that's the tutorial boss ship, right?

ask around on some mugen forum, so you get to know how is their workflow for characters right now, I bet you'll get better information than any of us can give you.

>1. Should character creation require the creator to use Unity? Even if it's just for simply creating a prefab or an animator?
Nope. Isn't the game in Python?
>3. Is it reasonable to expect for 2D animations, a text file that defines the boundaries and framerate of every spritesheet animation?
No. People are lazy.
>4. Should stages be able to be created dynamically from configuration files, or is it all right to expect a user to create a Unity scene for the stage?
You'll simply need to parse config files.

The answers to all your questions are obvious, they're just the answers that require more work.

If you're making a game in gamemaker, you limit yourself to such an extent that you can barely call the game yours. You may as well consider mods for Half Life "finished games".

Unity does have a lot of finished games and a lot of non-retarded users, but they're moving away from Unity and into better tools. Unity is shit. It's users aren't though.

Godot or [any GraphicsLibrary].

Expecting Unity use is alright, it's free. Gold would be in-game but character generator is gonna be a mountain of work for you. As long as it's not too complicated.

Limit as little as you can.

>Objectively trash. There is a reason everyone is moving away from it.
That's a weird way of saying it's the most used engine and is still growing in popularity. Think you can rephrase that maybe?

>it's free
As in beer, not freedom. If I have to install a large corporate application to make content for his game, and then recompile the game too, I'd just not make content for his game.

It was in Python. It got too unreasonable to maintain, and the framerate was garbage unless you have a beastly processor since Pygame is missing any sort of real hardware rendering.

You wouldn't need to recompile. I've got dynamic prefab loading, so if you just put it in the folder, it'll load it.

Well, fuck, looks like another potentially great FLOSS game goes down the trash.
I'll probably just stick to Smash + an Emulator if that's the case. ;-;

Have you considered using Godot or JavaScript+Canvas? Both of those are great performance-wise. Godot would be mostly copy and paste from your Python.

>If you're making a game in gamemaker, you limit yourself to such an extent that you can barely call the game yours.
What an idiotic thing to say.
>mods for Half Life
Oh you're the shitposter.

>Acknowledging the existence of any possible shitposters
You're likely a certain shitposter.

Indeed I am. But I am not the shitposter. And you will not compare game maker to half life mods on my watch.

Why is it bad to switch to Unity? The game should be the same, gameplay-wise.

My reasons for switching to Unity were that if I have to start over from scratch, I might as well start over in the engine that gives me the most features, and Unity supports 3D, handles a lot of the physics and collision stuff I was struggling to make fast enough, and is well known enough that I can easily find tutorials, assets, and collaborators.

It's very niche anyway. Those in that niche wouldn't really mind. Casuals would never do much but just play the game.

Yes I will. I just did. I'll do it again.
Game maker does not supply you with a genuine fully featured engine. It is closer to a 2D map-making system than a true game development system. Sure, you can hackishly create things that don't belong on GM in it, but it's insanely bad performance wise and it just makes your workflow more stupid.

>Why is it bad to switch to Unity?
Because I don't want to run code that I can't read on my system.
I don't trust a corporation to be truthful about their code with things like Windows Telemetry in the world, I definitely don't trust some guy from Veeky Forums to provide me with a binary that isn't malicious.

Godot gives all the features you've listed.

How can I make a game if I don't have any limbs, please help

I'd be in the niche and I mind. Especially the fact that I have to install shitware on my PC to make content for the game.

By trying harder

Post mugen characters you've made.

I wonder if a snake owner has ever let their snake wrap itself around their dick

what animal is this?

Okay, so, here's the thoughts I'm getting. I need to have a way to load a super basic character with no Unity. A person should be able to drop in some sprite sheets, and modify the Hitbox definitions, and have a fully realized character.

I think it's also not ENTIRELY unreasonable to expect someone who wants to make a really complex fighter, like Ice Climbers or Little Mac, to create the fighter in Unity and import it.

I mean, technically any binary I included with the Python version could technically be anything anyway. I don't really think it's worthwhile to change engines just to dodge some download paranoia.

100% yes.

But there are no source games released from here. Like ever. And there are many finished game maker studio games.

there is no such thing as comfydev even if you put your sweatshirt on
this is why comfy jam will fail

How many people will appreciate the MSX BG tile lightning?
I'm guessing: 0 peoples.

WIYG > JLMG

what do you do with a thickness map?

Only by quantity though.

Most people who play video games are too young or live in a place like America where home computers never took off to understand that reference

Find a new gf

the vast majority of people will just say "hhaa old games epic"

>have had a song to write on my list for weeks now
>still havent produced anything
>have left the dev hanging without proper communication
Sometimes I just hate myself ya know

I have a question about the engines and if there's a FAQ please direct me to it, but I'm wanting to design a game for smart phones looking around online lua.org/ seems like one a lot of people use, but I can't seem to find out why. I noticed that you all don't have that one listed. I was just looking for reasons to use or not to use it, and if I'm lucky maybe what would be a good language to use.

Thanks.

I've been there before
the best antidote is like a weekly/semi weekly forced meeting
even if you don't have anything to say it will keep both of you from forgetting

well i think it's cool

There's a small write-up here: tools.aggydaggy.com/engines.html

Lua itself isn't an engine but a language. LÖVE is an engine / framework implementing Lua.

ignoring all the random stuff on top, do these splatters look ok?

yes

Ain't much, but it will do.

Unity is the best game engine there is tbqh senpai.

lol you forgot your image hahahaha

Ahhhh thank you. I'm very very new to this in many ways. I'm the least experienced member of the team. I'll look into this. Thank you again.

haha old games epic

They take a lot of visual emphasis away from the other stuff which I dislike
maybe you could try a dither shader ala downwell?

why doesn't the lightning tile have an alpha ?

You said you wanted to deploy to smartphones. You should be aware that many proprietary engines charge extra for export templates to non-PC platforms. If that kind of money is a factor for you, you should inform yourself about that before you select an engine.

just played Pony Island and I marvel the creativity
This "debugger" game mechanic is 100% unique. I've never seen it anywhere

counterpoint: paint the screen red

Thanks for the heads up I'll alert everyone to that possibility. Love's site says "You can use it freely for commercial purposes with no limitations." is that some lawyerese that isn't accurate?