2001 Chevy Tracker

What's up guys, I don't know much about these cars, can someone knowledgeable fill me in? Are they reliable? Are they good motors? Are they all around good cars?
Looking at one with 172,000 miles on it, they are asking $1500

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_H_engine
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's a shitload of them left still so they can't be that bad.

>pic taken in trailer park

But they aren't special or all that bad. Easy to work on and GM has boatloads of any parts you'll need. I specifically only recall doing wear and tear work on these. Brakes, suspension, lines etc

I've only seen the first gen model in person and it seems like a fun little SUV, I dont know how much was changed in the second gen though.

Stock photo, are the motors good? Is 170,000 high mileage?

Yes but for the age it really depends on how well it was looked after. also if the make is known for being reliable that can help too. my DD is a 95 isuzu trooper, 221k miles and it hasn't had any problems besides the usual wear and tear like breaks.

The tracker is essentially an Isuzu?

4 or 6 cylinder?

The 4 cylinder is a Suzuki J20 which is a decent engine. The only thing you need to worry about is a loose or worn timing chain. I'm not too sure about the V6.

It's technically a Suzuki.

The guy said only issue is the passenger side floor gets wet in heavy rain, inwas told that could be caused by clogged drains in the car due to leaves and stuff, sound plausible?

Isn't it just rebadged Vitara? They're solid cars, but I don't know if Chebby fucked them somehow

nah but it has a suzuki engine, I was just using my rig as an example

sunroof?

No, I was told from a buddy who works on cars that sometimes the drains get plugged up with leaves and other stuff and can't drain properly

The V6 is a Suzuki H-series engine, which was originally developed together with Mazda.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_H_engine

if its like my 94 suburban, there is a screw that goes through the cowling and (basically) into the cabin of the car, holding the cowling on.
The obvious downside to this is tou need to seal it each time you take the cowling off (to replace or adjust windshield wiper or sprayers for instance).

So, I'd ask if the wiper motor has been replaced.

Why would you want one? Just get a civic for 3k.

It is the 4cyl

First of all, they are AWESOME cars. Others mentioned the timing chain, this is a pretty serious problem with these motors. The chain tensioners are oil fed in these, and infrequent maintenance can cause the already small oil passages to clog, causing the tensioners to not work properly, wearing down the PLASTIC chain guides. These are interference motors, so if the chain goes, the motor probably will too. If properly cared for, you really won't need to worry about it. There is warning signs though, so you could easily replace the tensioners and chain before engine damage occurs. Warning signs: First, there is a metallic ticking coming from the front of the motor. This is the chain slapping the sides of the timing cover. In cold weather, almost all of these things will tick a little bit before oil starts to flow, so don't worry too much if it ticks for a few seconds in the morning, or if it hasn't been run for a long time. If it doesn't stop ticking, or ticks for a long time on startup, its probably time to replace the tensioners. When you go to buy it, go in the morning, and ask if he has started it that day. Otherwise, like I said, awesome cars. Mine has 195,000 miles and runs great. Superbly reliable, I've never had it it break down on me, and I regularly run it across the state at pretty high speeds. Parts are relatively inexpensive, and there is tons around, so availability of spares isn't an issue either. Great gas mileage, in its prime, mine averaged 31 MPG on the freeway, and about 25 in town. Not too bad for a 4wd with a truck frame! Super competent in the snow and offroad, I embarrassed some of my buddies in a lifted 4runner and Dodge ram.
Other issues to look out for- In the Northeast and other areas where they salt the roads, check for corrosion in the front crossmembers and other components. Replaceable, but a PITA nonetheless.

The windshield seal could be bad, allowing water in. Check for corrosion around windshield.

Figured I would include a picture of mine going through quite a bit of snow. This was on pretty worn stock sized tires, and it never got stuck

>pretty worn
>Tread can be visibly identified from a distance
Yeah, no. Those are far from worn out. Those almost look like those firestone winter tires.

You are better off getting a first gen Nissan Xterra with 3.3l V6

Yeah, yes. They were the cheapest chinese all season tires you could get from Les Schwab. Snow packed in thin treads doesn't mean there is a ton of tread left.