Oldies

if you had these 2 classics as a first car
which one would you pick?
Datsun 710 - Vw Rabbit
i need some opinions, feel free to say they are both shit and recommend something similar

Datsun 710. I've always felt that old Golfs were destined to stray further from classic and closer to shitbox the more they're bought and driven as first cars. That is, if they even survive. I guess that makes them constantly more rare but a pristine 710 would probably be much higher in value anyway. It's automotive carnage but we can't do anything about it.

1st page cruiser here
yeah pretty much this op

Hi. I own two Rabbits. They're both diesels, and they're both shit.

The shifter feels like pushing a stick through a hot, fresh soggy dog turd unless you rebuild everything. And even then, the shifter will still be pushing a stick through a dog turd that's a couple hours old. This is because it's made of a rube goldberg collection of linkages, levers, and bellcranks. Pic related.

They look simple and easy to work on but that's an illusion.

Wanna change the steering box? Gotta disassemble half the shift linkage system, and pray the super brittle plastic sockets on the ends don't break.
The exhaust downpipe is held on to the manifold by a couple C-shaped spring clips. You need a wedge or a special tool to remove them.
Changing the starter requires jacking up the engine and taking the front motor mount off, then wrestling with it for a half hour to get it back on.
The front starter bushing is actually in the transmission case. In a blind hole. Changing it requires tapping threads into the bushing and jacking it out with a bolt.

The diesel is severely underpowered. 52 FWHP brand new. I got one of mine to 85 MPH once, and I thought I was gonna die.
It can cruise at 65 MPH until you hit a mild incline . Oh, and getting to 65 takes eons.
A gas car would definitely alleviate that problem.

It looks like gas cars are only a little cheaper than a diesel, parts wise. And that's not the big stuff like heads and CIS distributor pumps. Those are just as expensive as their diesel counterparts.

Go with the Datsun. Or a Civic/Corolla for 3k.

I've owned 8 Nissans and 1 Jetta GLi (which broke down literally every month). I'd pick the rabbit out of those two cars.

Datsun, always.

The Datsun. That car's a legit classic, 80's era VW's were rust buckets and hot garbage. I had a GF who had a Fox (Gol), you felt like you were literally riding in a tin can.

Id take the Rabbit any day of the week assuming it wasnt a diesel

mk1 gti my man

Vw Rabbit

turbo wheels make me moist

>live in Germany
>Datsun is literally who tier
>old VW parts are everywhere

and anybody talking shit about it already bought it broken, no excuse, really easy to work on, easy to put another engine into and fun to drive

my man

I'd go with the Golf, would be much easier to maintain.

what do you think about these, thinking of getting a set

i like them thought they would look best on a 3rd gen trans am though

Never thought about that

Rabbit if it's the truck model. Datsun if otherwise.

Got a set on my VW, I think they look great

damn son, they look awesome

As much as I love Volkswagen's I would take the Datsun.