/Saturn/ General

Any Saturn owners on Veeky Forums? Come out, don't be shy.

We're all br/o/thers, you know.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IozvxuJjUOw
youtu.be/ZmiBBOhrEjY
youtube.com/watch?v=2gy4BUiNsLY
youtube.com/watch?v=4qU8uSwrtBY
youtube.com/watch?v=GzJS_JZzR60
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

there are a couple of us but these threads always bite. Veeky Forums cant help but meme on saturn and GM
>lets see some quality shitposting guys

First gen Saturns are god tier (on reliability and gas mileage), but there are so few of them left.

There are quite a few around here. I'm still driving an '02 with just routine maintenance and 1 starter.

Apparently there are convertible mods available for the fist gen SC1-2

jesus fucking christ, get your fagmobiles off this board. no one gives a shit, stop samefagging to attract attention.

it's already filled with enough shitboxes & general motors trash, we definitely don't need more shitboxes or general motors garbage.

fuck you & your piece of slow, fwd, general motors trash.

They contemplated something like this back in 2005. Meet the Saturn Curve, a 2005 concept based on the Kappa platform. it probably would've been on the Zeta platform alongside the Camaro had it made production.

Found the BMW Z4 owner who got beaten by a Saturn Ion

I have an L series, can we still be friends?

of course. 2.2L Ecotec, or the 3.0L V6?

It has the ecotec. 136k and it runs breddy gud. I'm getting pretty shit gas milage though, I suspect a fuel leak somewhere

good. The V6's may be faster but fuck that timing belt setup.
Those ecotecs will run forever.

Yeah I have a buddy who had an lw300, thing was a total turd. He had his serpentine belt snap and his belt tensioner was also broken. He was saying that they had to drop the engine a few inches just to be able to work on it.

Before I bought my car the p.o gave me a ton of maintenance records, some of them are of the entire timing chain assembly being replaced in 2014, so I don't have to worry about that for a while

Is it true the Ion Redline was faster than the (then) WRX sti?

AYYY Saturn owner here

kek
These where some ugly ass cars. Luckily the Kappa platform only got good looking cars

fug
forgot image

Also here is the Saturn Sky concept from 2002. The Sky that made it to production ended up being based on the Vauxhall VX Lightning concept.

My first car was a 97 SC1 with a 5spd, and an 02 L200. The SC held up fine, but the L200, not so much.

It was faster than the EJ205 WRX, not the STI though.

>meme on saturn and GM
the most saturn-related posting is talking about how saturn was so fucking GOOD GM had to kill it to protect itself

The Nomad concept would've been cool had it reached production.

The front end is a little silly but I like the rest of it. Reminds me of the special cars like the El Nino you could unlock in the old NFS games.

sweet Wojak FEL15s OP

what tyres you run?

Pilot Sport Shiggys?

feg

save thread post for the love of saturn
>all hail cronus

i had a 92 saturn sc2 years ago, it had a turbo button near the shifter but it never seemed to do anything, what was it for?

also those seatbelts... christ

the turbo button was likely an aftermarket addition by a retard. It likely does nothing.

that adjusts your transmission rev range so it would shift at redline instead of trying to save gas and shift earlier. Sounds like it as a DOHC model and i think they redlined near 6750 rpms
>suc it honda

interesting.

fun car, i hit a deer going 120km/h and only broke the radiator and a headlight somehow, the low flat front end probably saved it

>tfw you see another Saturn bro on the road

Right now I'm dealing with a burned out odometer backlight. It's slightly annoying but it seems like such a bitch to remove the instrument panel to get to that one single bulb. God damn it, Saturn.

keep your chin up, little Saturn thread!

>being so autistic you feel the need to come into a thread I don't like and complain
>being so autistic he doesn't use generals as containment threads

I know this feel, half my dash is out.

I've got a bunch of annoying problems though
>Unknown CEL that keeps turning off randomly
>a fog light and the front bumper are broken from minor accident, no money to fix at the moment
>front turn signal keeps turning off, it's not the bulb and I'm not sure where to look to fix it
>small oil leak that no one can find or fix
>possible loose axle from oil leak fix attempts I won't be able to fix until the summer
It's all pretty minor, but stuff like the turn signal triggers my autism. I hope to get an Ion Redline to replace it though

There was a company making a hardtop for the Solstice that was inspired by the Nomad Concept, but they went out of business.

Yes I use Pilot Super Sports

>everything should be shooting brake

Bump

fuck im jealous i love those sky redlines

>Unknown CEL
You can get a ELM327 reader for $10. Or go to AutoZone for a free read.

Yes and no at the same time.
Put them on a drag strip and the Saturn will get its ass handed to it.
Put them on a circuit track or a rally stage and it'll depend.
Short technical courses are where the Saturn will fucking dominate. The nurburgring tuned suspension combined with the instant response from the Eaton M62 roots type supercharger make short technical courses where the Saturn will fucking shine, since it's always in boost. On that same course, you would be fighting turbolag on the STI all the time, leaving it considerably down on power simply because the Turbo never gets an opportunity to spool up.

On a longer course with less dramatic turns,and more long sweeping corners, the STI will leave it for dead... once it hits boost anyways.

On short tracks, it really illustrates the different ways the different forced induction systems make power.

Can't go to auto zone for a scan because lolcommiefornia. I'm actually so poor I can't afford $10 at the moment

bruh, call a few of their stores. I found two near me that didn't give a fuck and lent me their obd2 scan tool.

Problem is it was still slower than gsrs and itrs as well as srt4s and even celica gts's on the track which was its direct competition

>mfw someone saved my sad saturn pepe

>slower than GSRs and ITRs
I call BS on GSR's. it's honestly a toss up with ITRs. We're talking a nurburgring tuned suspension with a torquey supercharged engine against a torqueless wonder that revs to the moon.
>SRT4's
It was a toss up between normal SRT4's and Ion Redlines. The SRT4 ACR would rape Redlines though.
>Celica GTS's
Nope. Not enough torque, not enough chassis tuning.
You severely underestimate the capabilities of the Delta platform. The Cobalt SS Turbo, for a time, held the lap record for production FWD cars on the nurburgring. The record is currently held by a Volkswagen Golf GTI Clubsport.

Drive a Redline. You may just like it.

as someone who conefags his redline regularly its surprisingly fast but not amazing.
>GSR
eh redline will have so much more power it would depend on the track as GSR chassis is probably a little better but redline's suspension tech is a little newer
>srt4
In a straight line it would have the Redline but in the corners and on most tracks it wont be able to keep up. Delta platform has very little understeer unlike the neon and the SC will have it over the SRTs top end heavy turbo
>celica GTS
there is no way a celica is keeping up with the redline in any setting. Its a little lighter but it just has no power compared to the redline and its suspension was never made to keep up on the track like the Redline. You'll just be fighting understeer all day
>VW GTI (newer) & Focus St
these are the main comps for the Redline both i'd say are a tad faster than a stock Redline would be.

I honestly would get one if they existed in my area I've owned all the cars I just rattled off except redline

I guess i should also admit ive only ever owned saturns. Should probably trip up as SaturnFag one of these days.
First car
>Saturn L200
Second car
>Saturn Outlook XR AWD
Current car
>the Redline i always post

>tfw no sl3

Steal Stolen Recaros spot as the most knowledgeable Saturn/GM fag on here

true guess i could... i was mean to him a couple times feel kinda bad. Havent seen him in a while. Hope his Ion is okay. I appreciate he want though the trouble to swap the Recaros into the standard ION. Funny thing is my Redline doesnt have Recaros because its a 2007 just has black leather interior with bucket seats

>Steal Stolen Recaros spot
You do know I'm still here, right? I just stopped tripping.

Ions still ok. wanting to get rid of it soon.

speak of the devil! haha ya im saving up now to get a second car something vintage and then I'll daily/race my ION into the ground
>happy saturning

Every car I've ever had was GM. I grew up around GM cars.
And while I'm fairly knowledgable about GM, I generally don't know much about GM products pre-1980. 90% of my knowledge is about the FWD GMs.
Ask me what the difference was between the RWD B, C, and D bodies, and I couldn't tell you. Beyond the Zeta, Alpha, G and F-body cars, RWD GM cars just never interested me.

>speak of the devil!
I've been in this thread as an user since it was posted. I was the one who posted about the Saturn Curve.
I was also the one who ages ago encouraged Kappa to get the Saturn Sky Redline he loves so much now.

oh man this takes me back

my family was always a saturn family growing up, and the first one we owned was an SL1 (i think) in this exact color. those automatic seatbelts.

eventually got replaced with an L series in 01. i still remember watching the SL1 drive away the last time and feeling sad. My mom got an Aura when i graduated high school in 07 and the L series was my first car. drove it for a few years. got in a nasty wreck in it where i flipped a suburban. a little body work and i was driving it again 2 weeks later. loved the shit out of that car. wish i still had it really

96 sc1 reporting in

/osg/ really is cancer

Every Saturn I've ever owned has had stickers of some kind
97 sl1
04 vue
00 ls1
96 sc1

00 ls1 - Project car

The main difference to tell between an SL1 and an SL2 is to see if the taillights connect. It's a shame that the 1Gs are borderline extinct now, I've only seen around 15 in the past two years.

i support this so much i'd paypal u money just to see what ya do with it

LS1 swap the LS1?

Bingo!!!!
I've been trying to find the rear drive-train and suspension out of a corvette, possibly even the ls1 too - might just bread down and buy a crate engine

I bought this car off a couple from Florida, they drove up here in Iowa in the winter, unfortunately for this 2.2 they had straight water in the block

for a rear suspension/parts car, I'd look for a Cadillac Catera. There's be some welding involved but using the Catera floorpan and IRS is a better idea than jury-rigging a Corvette rear end in. Then you could use a T56 from a F-body or one of the newer GTOs.

You don't want to use the Corvette rear setup. You'd have to mount the transmission in the rear since it's a transaxle.

Kek you'd hate to see my Ion

Ok, I'll stop up to u-pull it tomorrow and look for a catera, any other rwd cars with IRS that i should look out for?

2004-2006 Pontiac GTO's
2010+ Chevrolet Camaro's
Cadillac CTS's
2004+ Cadillac STS

But the Catera or GTO would probably be the best fit since The Catera is a rebadged Opel Omega while the GTO is a Holden Monaro, which is based on said Omega.
The Saturn L-series was a rebadged Opel Vectra B.

youtu.be/IozvxuJjUOw
Here's the 2.2 chugging away

Timing chain for the water pump and harmonic balancers is fuckered

And here it is running with a view from the top
youtu.be/ZmiBBOhrEjY

I have an automatic 1994 Saturn sl2 twin cam that I bought for $150, and then bought for $50 with a locked up engine.

>tfw you have an automatic Ion 2.2
This transmission is awful. What do I have to do to swap it. Should I just tune the engine to make the feel less horrible?

Could you put a ion redlines guts into a sw2 roller?

I drive a Pontiac, am I welcome with Saturn bros?

short answer yes. better/cheaper answer just buy a redline theyre generally 4-5k

>tfw reliable, lovable shitbox
it's a comfy feel

If you have to ask its probably out of your wheelhouse of options. There are things you can do to add power but it would be better to just save money to buy something more performance oriented.
>sell ur ION for 3k
>save up another 2k
>buy a redline/cobalt ss/sc for 5k

Pontiac owner here, fun facts for you Saturn bros:

Last year I spoke with an older service tech at a Chev dealer and he said he used to work for Saturn for a very long time.

He said that it they were great to work for, they were really in their own world and not under much control from the bean counters at GM. Just about everyone both in sales and service had to go through in-depth classes that detailed all the major systems on the car including body panels etc.

He also said workers on the assembly line were encouraged to stop the line if they found a major issue and it would be taken care of immediately. If you did that at any other major manufacture, you'd get canned in a heartbeat.

RIP in peace Saturn. and Pontiac.

Fug, I didn't know the Catera was FR. All this time I just assumed it was FF, I love it even more now!

youtube.com/watch?v=2gy4BUiNsLY

p nice. How are these to own? I've known about them for quite a while and scaved a few in the Pick n Pull, never gave them much thought aside from the 3rd brake light; I have one sitting in my basement. Wish I would of snagged the sweet flip out center console cup holder too.

update: from reading various youtube comments, it's shit.

what is that fine piece of boomer pandering on the bottom left?

Chevrolet Nomad concept.
~230 HP 2.2L supercharged Ecotec I4
RWD
uses the Kappa platform.

youtube.com/watch?v=4qU8uSwrtBY
youtube.com/watch?v=GzJS_JZzR60

'07 Sky Redline

are you a nigger?

No, bought it recently, wheels were already on it. Going to swap them for lightweight 18s very soon.

good

My brother needs a tail light for his SC2(I think?). Any body have any parts cars?

What went wrong?

It's an immensely high seller in Europe and Australia.

They only sold US models with the 1.8L U18XER engine.
There were no convertibles, sedans, or wagons in the Saturnn Astra line. Just the 2 and 4 door hatchbacks. The sedan would have sold immensely in America if offered.
The other problem was a lack of advertising.
The final nail in the coffin was the lack of a OPC model rebadged as an Astra Redline. A performance model would've brought much needed hype over to Saturn where people would've bought the normal versions. They could've easily given it the same engine, transmission, and suspension as the Cobalt SS Turbo which would've made it a very legitimate hot hatch in America.