/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

basic edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162260.0)
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Status_icon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i liek elv.

do yuo liek elv?

how bout dem dorfs

im more of a goblin man myself

Remove elf

Dem dorfs mayn.

>golden age
>you only have copper

>a few months into first embark
>two of my miners die in a cave-in
>only have one miner left
>it's about to become winter and I don't have jack for stockpile space
>mfw

>only have copper
wut

Stockpiles are overrated. The only kind you really need is food stockpiles, especially early on.

You can use QSP's with minecarts too.

WHY THE FUCK DOES MY MILITARY KEEP KILLING CIVILIANS ITS LIKE THE FOURTH ONE THEY HAVE KILLED SINCE I EMBARKED WHAT THE FUCK

So apparently version 0.43.05 added armor and weapon damage, (according to bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162260.0) but I can't find anything in the changelog to suggest that.

Does anyone know what they're talking about?

If you mean the changelog on the bugtracker, it only lists bugfixes. You'll want to read the release notes in the announcements subforum. I think the change went in with 43.04, though.

>So apparently version 0.43.05 added armor and weapon damage
It was added already in 0.43.04.

05 just fixed some bug and added 64 bit.

Ah, much obliged. I haven't played since 0.42.06, how's the new version feel like?

Also, did the change to armour and weapons finally make maces viable?

Are the dwarves attacking civilians members of the fortress guard?
If you don't have a prison or a hammerer the fortress guard may have to deal with offenders by beating the shit out of them.

Yeah, my military are also fortress guards and the late mason violated the mayor's mandate.
Continuing to beat the shit out of him after his spine is broken is a bit much in my opinion.

Not very different, as the small increment in version would indicate.
Maces have always been viable. They were, like most other weapons, only optimal in certain circumstances. The changes may have slightly expanded those circumstances. More by narrowing the niches of other weapons than by buffing maces, though.

That's why you shouldn't allow trained soldiers to give beatings. An untrained law enforcer may cripple someone for life with a beating, but a trained one will almost always kill the felon.

Also, you might want to consider not ignoring the mandates. That's the root of everything.

Fuckin' metal

>tfw no feels

Hopefully you gave him an Axe or Mace to beat invaders to death with

That's fucking metal

how do i stop a cave infestation or how do i remove it?

Cave infestation? Like mold?

I wish I could track down whoever invented the "fucking metal" meme and kill him with my own hands. It's the most cringeworthy meme there ever was.

It implies that a music genre for edgy children would somehow be a measure for things even outside of the subculture.

Sperging out over the term "metal"? Cringey.

those are dwarves, user

Remove Dwarf!

Indeed, also gotta love lumping in Zep with whatever random shit they think metal is to make it suitable only for edgy children.

>251 embark points
>all the neccesities already bought
what do?

booze

I hate the music genre but don't mind the meme.

Horses.

>an evil force has come to this and that
>siege warning
>goes away in less than 5 seconds

what is this

Buy some gay garden vegetables and make an above ground farm.
First time playing dwarf fortress?

Goblin practical jokers, bet there's a burning sack of troll shit on your stoop!

The goblin army probably couldn't find your fort and left.

actually I don't even have enough dwarves for sieges yet

Why do dwarves only put like 1/3 of the corpses on the corpse stockpile?

is this game an Australia simulator?

Parts of it are.

Could just be some goblin bandits then.

>made 100 fucking ash instead of coal

Useful for your glass industry. Now you're one step further on the road to create clear glass.

Can i kill all goblins to extinction? and rape them?

>you can't critisise a genre if some of the content has cult status

>Can i kill all goblins to extinction
Yeah, but you probably don't have the patience for it.

>and rape them?
Not in my Christian game.

Toady is an atheist. Sorry church kid.

Prove it.

Games like "I'm Voting for Myself" suggest that he had a strict religious upbringing, and while he might have temporarily rebelled against it, you usually end up where your parents want you in the end.

>kid walks under drawbridge as it opens

RIP

explain

Indeed, but "x is for edgy y" isn't criticism.

Track cart with route set to accept items from a certain pile and dump towards a single tile pile with no links which accepts the items from the route.

>pic

Why do some unit names flash?

Toady is an atheist, the only thing he believes is himself. He is the bringer of suffering and madness, a monster born from the flesh of men, the antichrist prowling the earth. In his mind, devious engines work restlessly in his machinations for the destruction and suffering of common people. Under the flag of "it's a myth simulator" he destroys what was once great, bit by bit, release by release. Dwarf fortress is as, by now, a sick man dying of cancer in a hospital bed, all by the work of Toady1. You can see his mark in the game itself, all livings beings are subject to his devilry, terrible work and living conditions, all the while waiting for inevitable doom coming from under or above the earth. Demons and beasts and gods in several forms and shapes, with a monstrous variety of abilities to support its thirst for blood. We must struggle through living hell, subjects to silly, easily fixable "issues" such as climbing, pathing FPS murder and other little devilries. Toady removed some of the best features because "they were glitched" as he says, tormenting us in an endless wait for what will never come. His purpose is clear, he is a monstrosity who takes pleasure in our pain, a psychopath hiding in an autism disguise. He has us bound by our own desires as we pay for his living expenses, and now he will do whatever he pleases with us. How can such a creature be born is beyond knowledge, he is fouler than all the beasts this game could possibly create, his bald head shines with thoughts far beyond the scope of humanity, a dark, endless pit of vile ideas. We all know it deep down, what he is and what we're doing here. We prefer to ignore reality for a little respite, but doom will come to all of us once light reveals the truth. After he has drained what little life remains, he will leave us with a broken, unfinished thing, a community that will grow and branch into thousands of groups trying to copy the skills of the devil himself. Nothing will remain.

They have achieved a legendary skill rating. Or they're on fire.
--> dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Status_icon

Bonus if they're legendary AND on fire, like a little walking disco ball.

what happens if they're legendary, on fire and releasing a mixtape?

Then shit is, to use the vernacular, off the hook.

Decent user interface when ?
I'm not going to relearn all the keybindings for the nth time.

Never
git gud or fuck off

read it completely
good new pasta

Ain't got time to git good again every fucking time.
It's that fatfuck of Toady that should git gud instead and work on the goddamn UI.
Or at least give a way to modders to implement one, for fucks sake. Were it possible I'd do it myself.

>tfw too smart to forget df

must be hard being one of the lesser people

>every fucking time
the fuck are you on about
the UI hasn't changed at all, only minor things were added like [d] button for details

There is no need to "re"learn it.

You learn it once, then you get more fluent as you play. I could never imagine myself forgetting the interface.

The game hasn't the mechanics to deal with so much fire
It'll have to wait a few years

like and say
You truly are a brainlet if you have to ''''re-learn'''' the UI every time, cheers from Veeky Forums

Sure, just try waiting 2+ years and see how well you remember where all the stuff is.
We'd only need integration with LUA or any other scripting language to build the interface DF deserves, but no.
It's pointless you complain about people complaining the current interface. The truth is that you all are crying inside and the pain eventually makes you numb.

>The truth is that you all are crying inside and the pain eventually makes you numb.
New to Veeky Forums and/or DF?
We already know that you normie
We all deadinside autists here
Toady is literally a necro that made internet his tower

>Sure, just try waiting 2+ years and see how well you remember where all the stuff is.
The thing is, I have no plans of abstaining from DF for that long. Since I picked it up in late 2010, I've played it pretty much every day, I have no plans on stopping.

Even if I did, I'm sure I'll remember how to play.

For fucks sake, the buttons are all permanently marked out in fort mode and everything. If you get lost, all you have to do is pause and read through the command list on the main screen.

Toady probably won't try to make the UI better anytime soon

Maybe he will when we reach 0.75 or 1.0

The thing is, no matter how he does it, most of it will largely be an arbitrary mess. I can't even begin to think where and how he should improve it.

I mean, there are the obvious ones, like making the keys for digging stairs consistent with the ones for building them. Plant gathering should probably be integrated into the fruit gathering interface entirely. The military screen is great, but it could stand being a bit easier to navigate.

And probably the biggest needed improvement: we need more search bars, preferably in every menu where you browse in-game items and characters.

Battles and deaths should also be searchable by character names in adv mode conversations. That's a big issue, and would save a lot of time for the players.

The point is he shouldn't, backend developers do the worse interfaces, he just need to enable other people to do it. Eventually some idiot with enough time in his hands will come by and get it done, while Toady can keep on working on the engine adding features and fixing stuff.

>his bald head shines with thoughts far beyond the scope of humanity

I'd never save scum in fort mode, but in adventure mode, I do it all the time.

I've told the nobles about you, and the hammerer is on his way.

Filthy elf.

Yeah well that's not gonna happen, we're going to be stuck with the current UI for a long, long time.

What a dastardly little dwarf, this is completely useless.

>KEAnu Reeves
Can't be coincidence.

>A Keanu Reeves has stolen a +larch wheelbarrow+!

Oh shi-

Reminded me of that DF creepypasta where a player finds out that a dorf in the save he got his hands on shared his name, and when the dorf got hurt he could feel the pain IRL. The dorf got a hammerin' in the end.

So I have a huge, sprawling fortress (not bragging, or euphemisticalism), and my miners often get hungry or thirsty after they mine their first tile and then walk all the way back home before heading out again.
Can I force all dwarves to wear waterskins somehow?`

Just make a food stockpile somewhere close to the mines.
You may be able to accomplish something with the military menu, but I wouldn't count on it.

>not abusing the inter-existencial bond with your dwarf
>not altering the raws to make him inmortal and have a 7 inches shlong
>not making him the king of the civ, with his own enormous house with infinite supplies

for shame, I expected more from a DF player

◊´◊¨◊´◊
◊´◊¨◊´◊
◊´◊¨◊´◊
◊´◊¨◊´◊

>7 inches shlong
That's not particularly impressive.

How long can a dwarf train before it becomes useless?

Build a well with it, it will increase the value and your dorfs will be happy with a sublime well

yeah, Im not american, I used a random number of inches

Not american either, but after 5 seconds of ressearch I found out 7 inches = 15cm

But that's blatantly wrong you double goblin.

If you can edit your dick size at will, nothing under double digits is worth writing home about.

>wonder where the fuck all my marble went
>check my furniture & finished good stockpiles
>marble tables, cabinets, chair and hives out the fucking ass
well that'll teach me to specify material

Read this, thought it was referring to this: which itself I thought was in reply to this: wutness

You should pay more attention to post numbers.

> /dfg/ in charge of judging cocks
wtf

10 inches = 25 cm
kind of overkill, mebbe

◊≈◊≈◊≈◊
◊≈◊≈◊≈◊
◊≈◊≈◊≈◊
◊≈◊≈◊≈◊

There are some giant dingos on my map. Slay?