Finance major

Good morning Veeky Forums.
I know you have this thread every fucking day, but i beg you to help me. I'm 27 years old neet with a shitty bachelors degree in literature. I've been thinking starting over again and back to college. Is finance a good major? What habilities do i need to succed in this world? How is your life as a financial analyst? Is the income good? I just want to have enough money to afford a decent house, a thicc wife and some kids.
Sorry for shit englishu.です

I mean, you're going to have a finance degree at minimum 31 years old? With no experience I'm guessing? You'll probably be in the same boat

>good major
>you need to be self-motivated, disciplined, creative, dilligent
>I'm not an analyst. While in school I took a GM job for a small manufacturer. Manufacturer got bought out. Worked for a firm that developed high-end corporate tax planning solutions. It was incredibly interesting from a financial sciences standpoint, but I almost went American Psycho and murdered some motherfuckers at work. Dabbled in Real Estate for a bit, because "Be Your Own Boss" and less motherfuckers to murder. Applied to entry level proprietary trading job posting. Real meatgrinder of a place, hire 12 guys, 2 survive. I survived, promoted to AM, then GM, then partner. 43 now, and retired. Living off of rental revenue, dividends and capital gains.
>income is incredibly variable. "Commensurate to performance" has never been truer.
>I have a decent house, thicc wife and one kid. Jesus Christ I don't know how people would ever choose to have a second one of these creatures. Expect your health, sanity, and productivity to be decimated.

Chemistry and Biology are the best majors to get. Believe me

Go get a MBA from a decent school. I'm in a good program now and there are a decent number of people who have shitty liberal arts degrees who are graduating making six figures easily doing stuff like consulting or finance work.

Finance is a good degree. Probably one of the best to double major with along with accounting.
That said, it's probably too late for you. Just get an MBA

this. stuck with what you are, and be grateful for what you have.

Why is it too late? I understand i'll be competing with younger people but 31 yrs old doesen't seem to be that bad. And if i do an apprenticeship before finishing school?

which country are you from?

Ya too late and despite the claims finance major you will have to study full time 4-5 years. It takes some effort.

Beaneristan
Why is it too late for me? Are most financial analyst at 31 already well positioned?

At what age did you start school?

Nigger you're too old for this shit. 24 year olds with masters and 2 years of experience are basically errand boys. What can you do?

>Are most financial analyst at 31 already well positioned?
and you will be at the bottom. it's just too late. why anyone prefer a 31 yo beaner with no experience.

This is all bait, but whatever.

High paying finance jobs are _highly_ competitive. You have kids who have worked towards the goal since high school. They go to the right schools, they take the right courses, they attend the right clubs, they socialize with the right people, they do the right internships. And even then only a couple get hired.

Now, there are lots of normal jobs in finance, but those are no different than what you would get with any degree, at any age, anywhere just as long as you are diligent, hard working, and keep your eyes open.

It's a not bait. I'm legit retarded because I was stupid enoug study a liberal arts degree.

MPA what kind of jobs can apply for?

>I'm 27 years old neet with a shitty bachelors degree in literature. I've been thinking starting over again and back to college

That would be really stupid.

And accountant degree? Is it the same? 0r can I go for it.

Not a MPA, MBA. It's like a big career reset if you go to a good business school.

Management consulting and investment banking takes people from all backgrounds, while other industries will look for prior experience in a related field, although it can still be possible to break into a company unrelated to your background with a lot of effort and some luck. Roles are generally entry level middle-management jobs.

Why don't you focus on what jobs you can get in your situation instead? Librarian, teacher, writer, columnist, maybe?

I'm a teacher already but they at is shot and I woun't be able to afford a house, a family and healthcare for them and give a good old days for my parents.

I'm going to buck against the trend here and say go for it.

I'm a 27 year old that went back to Uni last year to study. Admittedly, I went to study medicine, so a slightly different kettle of fish to yourself but an equally long degree!

You can get experience along the way, and honestly those extra few years of maturity may pay dividends when it comes to the more practical matters of finance. Just grab every opportunity, make sure you do some volunteering/work alongside your professors to beef out the CV and you'll be in good stead when you graduate.

Ok, compared to others your age you won't be as far along the ladder, but hell- we're all going to be working until we're 80+ now, so might as well do something you enjoy!

>I'm 27 years old neet
>I'm a teacher already

Keep in mind that your wife would pay half of the house, and half of the childrens' expenses. As for your parents, I don't know. Do people support their parents financially in your country?

We'll. The more I get the better I can take care of my family. It doesn't matter if wiaifu pays something. As for my parents, they have their welfare sure, but its not too much.

what do you propose ? I just want enough income to have a decent life with a house a wife and two kids without having to worry about fucking money.

Help me guys to figure this out, i'm suicidal. With a MBA can i have a chance of achieving my goals?

kill yourself. all your problems will go away.

>With a MBA can i have a chance of achieving my goals?
no. it's not going to happen. you will get an mba that means jack shit from a no name ""college"", or you will go balls deep into debt (well into 100k usd) for a degree that more than likely will not get you anywhere.

no one, i repeat, no one will take a 31 yo beaner with no experience, above an early 20s recent grad.

dude. give up. go away.

Hi user
Thought I would share my story as it may be interesting to you.

I started studying AAT (accounting technician course in U.K. ) when I was around 22 and working in shit care work job. Doing distance learning and dicking about it took me 5 years instead of usual three years to finish. I only got a finance job when I had nearly qualified at 27 and this was a shit tier data entry job. Really I only got this job because I was already working for the company in an unrelated position by this time. I had applied for hundreds of jobs before this while working in care and not even had an interview which was extremely demotivating. Now I have been working in finance for 2 years but mostly in shit tier roles that hardly require any accounting. I did actually get promoted about 6 months after I joined mostly because of my qualifications and hard work but it was too much too soon really and I got basically demoted which was a major blow. Nearly a year on from that I now feel that leaving the company is my only option because I won't be able to get over the stigma of that. I'm now studying ACCA and I'm nearly part qualified which has been fucking hard work but hopefully this will help me get a better job along with my experience.

So basically my message to you is that you are probably better off going for vocational training like me but even then you can expect to be earning low wages for a long time in finance because of lack of experience. The thung to remember is you will always be at least 10-12 years behind in your career thAn most people your own age, even if you do get a job in finance I'm basically in that boat but probably 6-7 years behind instead. The way I look at it though I'm still extremely lucky and hopefully will be qualified accountant soon, in the meantime at least what I'm doing now is much better than what I was.

College unless you have a reason is a waste om money. Find a skill your good at and build something. We need plumbers, carpenters, entrepreneurs all all kinds. Think and do. The years of college, good job and retirement are over. Its back to self employment, invest in your ideas, not the same old brainwashing.

thanks for that user

thanks anyway

are u majoring in finance because u want money or because u like analyze a companys financials? finance analysis doesnt equal get money.

both but mainly for the money.

What is your advice? I need MONEY, a pathway that leads me to making enoug money to pay for everythng i need, nothing fancy.
Please guys, someone tell me what to do from now. I beg you. You guys are probably my last hope.