Yay or nay

Yay or nay

>2001 Toyota Tundra 4.7L ext cab w/ cap
>155k miles (250km)

the bad

>both front fenders need to be replaced (rust)
>leaky steering hose needs to be replaced
>3 ball joints need to be replaced
>leak on exhaust manifold

the good

>(dad is a mechanic so he can help me fix everything)
>tranny is gud
>no electrical gremlins
>truck was coated with rust protection at the dealer, then rust proofed every 2 years or so (incomplete records, but the frame is in pretty good condition from what he saw)

>$2500 USD

Buy it its a deal

do it
it looks like a good buy

Why do you need a truck?

ok. are there any 'murican trucks with reliability comparable to the Tundra (at that price point/year)?

work

What kind of work?

independent contractor
don't need to toe a 29ton trailer (I know Tundras aren't exactly known for their towing capacity) but I have a lot of tools n shit to carry around

A Ranger would suit you fine.

drove one the other day, way too small and cramped for me, I'm 6'4
the emm pee gees are attractive tho

An extended cab should be fine. The seats may slide further back. I wouldn't buy that tundra. Buy a nicer one or dont buy one at all.

>I wouldn't buy that tundra.

why not

Because it needs like 3000 bucks worth of work.

The problems you've listed should be pretty easy to fix, good luck finding matching color fenders though, otherwise you'll have to paint them and that can be fairly pricey.

$2500 is very cheap and with 155k miles the truck should still have some life left in it. My friend's dad has a Tundra from around that year, it's a decent truck but the rear end suspension seems VERY soft on his truck, it's pretty slammed pulling a 16ft trailer with 50-70 bales of hay (maybe 4000-4500 lbs of hay on a 2 axle 16 foot trailer). The engine doesn't like pulling that load up hills either. For hauling people and lighter stuff in the bed it works fine.

umm what?

>both fenders: $150
>all the ball joints: $200
>furnace cement for the leaky manifold until/if I decide to change the head/gasket next summer: $10
>case of beer for my dad and ~2 days of work

That's ghetto as fuck. If it needs ball joints it needs new suspension all around except for springs. It's got a timing belt so that probably needs to be done. Junkyard fenders might be 150 but good new fenders might be 500. Exhaust manifold gasket is cheap though.

no, those are all (estimates by his own admissions, but around) prices for the mid range NAPA stuff. His shop gets ridiculous discounts. I forgot to add the power steering hose btw ~150.

>If it needs ball joints it needs new suspension all around except for springs

The suspension is good, he spend 2 hours checking everything on the truck. There's play on both ball joints in one side, and the lower ball joint on the other side.

> It's got a timing belt so that probably needs to be done

Timing belt was done, with a record of the service, and won't need to be done until 50k from now

Those are junkyard fenders, those are (chinese after market) NAPA fenders

those AREN'T junkyard fenders*

yeah the seller (a farmer) told me they aren't the best for towing heavy stuff, but every American truck around here has been driven to death, let rust (salt roads) and I think the Toyota tax has the advantage that it makes people treat theirs better than your average chebby

I mean, I don't know of may people religiously undercoating their truck every other year or so in this area

He obviously doesn't if the bed cap is an interest to him

>3bad things

That will multiply real fast within a week of you getting it.

3 bad ball joints? You are better off doing all 4 and get ready to do the whole steering rack soon if it already doesn't need doing.

Beverley slack parts in one section can hide minority slack parts in a neighboring section

>He obviously doesn't if the bed cap is an interest to him

right, I'm just going to put my tools and equipment on the backseat of a 3k civic amirite

yeah doing all 4 is the plan guess I should've said that. Might as well do the rotors I think since my dad gets them for dirt cheap

steering rack/alignment is good as far as we can tell

>the bed cap is an interest to him
it's almost as if there's this odorless, colorless chemical substance that falls from the sky at irregular intervals, in many different states, and said substance might damage the equipment and tools of your average tradesman, hence the need of some sort of protective system. wouldn't that be crazy?

If you need your tool and equipment covered, a van is much better.

But hey! The only reason why I am nitpicking is because the price is good and Toyota tax means it should be more expensive for a shittier conditioned vehicles so I can only wonder why.

>Toyota tax means people will maintain their vehicles better

Why would you think that when people believe Toyotas don't need oil changes because Toyota?

But if it's good bruh, get it. The tractor can do the towing

I live some where where that odorless (lies you can smell when a squall is over the hill) and colorless thing falls in the form of a tropical shower, almost daily, and within seconds to the surprise of many sunbathing Americans, it goes from sunny beaches to monsoon.

While we primarily use pickups and dump trucks to carry most things if you are carrying something you can't afford to get even slightly moist you get a van or a box truck.

I carry my 6ft ladder in my civic. Git gud.

>a van is much better.

and how would you know if you don't even know my line of work, or my location?

But to stop with the sarcasm, here's why: I live in rural Canada, I often drive in roads that are more ice rinks than roads, I NEED the 4x4, a lot of my jobsites are new houses in the middle of bumfuck nowhere with unpaved driveways. Even the 'paved' roads are pothole central, so I need the clearance and I like to keep my back in one piece. Not to mention "contractor vans" are a wallet rape around here, 90% of them are fleet vans at the end of their trannies, and forget about a minivan, they are all shit rustbuckets with dry kid vomit inside

>Toyota tax means it should be more expensive for a shittier conditioned vehicles so I can only wonder why.

or maybe is just a wealthy farmer who wants to sell an old truck he has no use for, and maybe I knew the guy, and did some work for him and went out of my way to accommodate him, so he decided to cut me some slack when he heard I was looking to buy a truck as a thank you thing

>Why would you think that when people believe Toyotas don't need oil changes because Toyota?

I would believe that, but in this case, as far as I (and my dad, who has been a mechanic since he started changing oil at 15 yrs old and worked his way up), this guy took care of the thing religiously.

>Carry two wheel barrows in my sidekick.
>ALL DOORS CLOSED

OP, real talk here. If you spend another $2500 in repairs right now, you'd still be staying it given the value of Toyota trucks right now.
People are asking $2500 for old taco salvage vehicles where I live. 5k would be nothing for a working tundra.

Right. I tend to forget that america only gets 2wd vans.

Well if y'all know this guy then that makes a big difference. The average person looks at a Toyota like some sort of anvil and they command anvil prices because of it.

In my area used pickup trucks are generally much cheaper and in much better condition than used box trucks.

And vans too, used cargo vans are really expensive around here and you're lucky to find any with under 200k miles on them, almost never a 4x4 model around either.

Well that's probably because people expect to make money out of their use where as pickups in the US are primarily people carriers

Which obviously is besides the point if you can't do what you need with the cheaper tool.

or maybe its because pickup trucks are a much bigger market than vans, thus driving down the prices of second hand trucks

You have to remember, typical yuro market vans are trash the second you get them out of the city.

>rusty frame
>transmission
>ball joints

These are the most widely known problematic issues that plague first generation tundras, otherwise super solid vehicles.
Mileage is a bit high but the price is right.
If the frame is good I'd say go for it.
The 2uz-fe is an interference engine. You might want to replace the timing belt at some point if it hasn't been already.

postan in yoter thread

2001 4runner that's only 4k but has 250k miles, is the mileage a dealbreaker? haven't actually looked at the car for rust anything but site says it doesn't have issues

>>rusty frame
depends where you live, but yep, salted roads eat them up

>>transmission
never heard of this issue

>>ball joints
for sure, there was a recall and the earlier 00-03 years seem to suffer from it more, easy to replace but ONLY with original toyota parts

and yes, if you don't know for sure it's been changed in the past 50-60k miles, definitely replace the timing belt and water pump