Getting Child interested history

How to I get my 11 year old nephew interested in learning actual history and mythology? He literally thinks he knows everything already because of God of War.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabasis_(Xenophon)
youtube.com/watch?v=pvzEZ1Sq4tI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Total War games and war films did it for me. From there you figure out what era or conflict interests you the most and the next step is to read up on it.

>He literally thinks he knows everything already because of God of War.

That would have more to do with mythology than history. And what usually happens is you play the game, get interested in the setting, and then start reading about the thing. Call of Duty is what got me into WW2 history when I was 15

Did he watch 300?

Maybe he'll be more willing to read Herodotus if he knew he's the source for the various quotes like come and get them, in the shade, etc.

And that there is more.

Give him a mythology textbook

interesting stories
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabasis_(Xenophon)

I was into history far into

You could try the archaeology or art history way.

Show him a Hellenistic or Roman statue and ask him who the god or goddess is, let him prove whether he really knows everything of mythology.

THE EMPHASIS SHOULD BE NOT ON THE MEDIUM OF INTRODUCTION, BUT ON THE SETTING IN WHICH LEARNING OCCURS —ONE CAN INTEREST VIRTUALLY ANYONE IN VIRTUALLY ANY SUBJECT WITHIN THE APPROPRIATE SETTING.

A UNIVERSAL SETTING IS OUTDOORS, NEAR/SURROUNDED BY NATURE —WHY DO YOU THINK THAT MOST PROPHETS HAVE TAUGHT IN NATURAL SETTINGS? IT IS NOT BECAUSE THEY WERE PEASANTS, OR POOR, NOR BECAUSE THEY HAD NO OTHER PLACE AVAILABLE IN WHICH TO GATHER, BUT BECAUSE BEING IN A NATURAL SETTING —VIDELICET: GRASS, TREES, SHRUBS, WATER, SOIL, SAND, BIRDS, FISH, ETCETERA— SUBCONSCIOUSLY CALMS THE SPIRIT, AND STIMULATES THE MIND, ENHANCING ONE'S PERCEPTION, AND DISCERNMENT.

IS YOUR KEYBOARD BROKEN? ARE YOU OKAY? DO YOU NEED HELP?

I got into it from total war and fantasy stuff like tolkien. Gradually I wanted to know more and more about the things in total war and the sources tolkien and other fantasy writers liked to draw from.

Remember, this is my nephew, so I don't see him alot and have very little influence over his overall enviornment.

Any vidya suggestions for a kid who likes undertale, GoW & CoD? I think anything too old will turn him off.

I know his stepdad has tried to get him to watch some things, like We Were Soldiers

Any suggestions?
His reading ability is below his grade level. I gave him some Star Wars books/comics last year, and he never mentions them. I don't think he has touched them.

This reminds me, I feel like my own interest was fueled by a trifecta of Games, Movies and SF Books. But again, I don't think he's much of a reader.

Don't you dare use THE VOICE ON ME. I know when my appointed hour is, and you have no right to take me now. Your move.

Don't get him into history.

Bulfinch's Mythology. Works every time, senpai.

Dan Carlin produces of a podcast that keeps things dramatic and interesting without neglecting context.

For someone interested in the extreme side of history like someone who'd like God of War, plug him into Hardcore History.

Folks, I want you to imagine...a house..seeing it with your 4K resolution HD video recording..imagine this house is your childhood home..now imagine...it's on fire.

Historia civilis is better and is better at teaching

Ken burns documentaries?

Literally who?

first let him take his step, with new media like videogames Strategy games are pretty good at telling history (especially the Age of Empire/Mythology series) after that, talk with him about history, look where his interest is. Now you have him hooked, buy him some books first, child friendly, and step by step more complicated works. In no time you have a history nerd, who'll shitpost this very board

Battlefield 1 is currently making a surge interest in WW1. Just look at this guy channel,before Battlefield 1 release.His subs are kinda around 50k now its almost 380k due to good exposure to the Great War

youtube.com/watch?v=pvzEZ1Sq4tI

>making kids watch a history podcast
jesus christ its like how university professor assumes everyone is as level as them.

Just let kids expose to interesting stuff about history before going that deep

take away vidyas, give him picture books.

Illustrated and photographic ww2 books got me interested in history so much that I drew the Bismarck in grade 2 and promptly got my first detention, councilor meeting and parent-teacher meeting for drawing swastikas.

Mom wasn't pleased. Asked my dad to punish me, and he did... by renting Das Boot and showing me how to draw the Naval insignia flag rather the the political party flag.

That's the easiest goddamn thing in the world.

>tell him to turn off the console
>"Son, take a seat right there..."
>perfect time to light a cig if you have one
>"Let me tell you about fucking Carthage."

When my little brother who still lives at home asked me how people went from mud huts to castles, I bought and sent him this.

It's obviously about as generalist as it gets, but that's what he needed.

DK is fucking great for kids.

Not OP and I also grew up reading cool ass books in the 90s but honestly, if I had modern vidya back then I probably wouldn't give a fuck about books. Which is kinda sad.

>Historia civilis
>Ronam History
Fuck yeeeeah, subscribed.
>B
>C
>E
dropped.

what game is this?

Surely no one prefers the empire over the republic?

Guess who the parents blame when he gets a job flipping burgers to pay off his student loans.

Rome Total War 2 came out a year or two ago.

my father bought me miniature airplanes and tanks that I had to glue/build by myself
obviously followed with miniature soldiers so I could play with them

so I became a Wehraboo at the age of 8 or so. maybe it was the smell of the glue or something, but I still have a hardon for German Panzers.

no regrets, would do same for my son some day

I also started playing Hearts of Iron 1 around age 12 or something.

>Son, I want to tell you about Constantinople
>Don't you mean Istanbul?
>I mean Constantinople

With games and movies.

Don't act like you didn't think Braveheart and Gladiator were legit at his age.

People that grew up in the 90s are probably going to be a history interest spike because WW2 was such an international obsession I guess until 2006 or so.

I reckon the Rome series

Show him some historical movies.

Gladiator, Saving Private Ryan, etc.

Today's episode concerns one of recent history's most... violent and... bizarre episodes, something that defies all rational explanation. A hostile plane heist, over the fertile mountains of Kazakhstan. It all started with a simple... prisoner exchange... with a guy-now my Kazakh's a little rusty, so I'm probably going to butcher the pronunciation-but he was called... Masketta man. Some call him Mosquito man... HECK I've heard some people call him Masque et un man, regardless... he delivers his bounty, several bound and hooded men, to a figure known to history... as CIA

Recent records have been found .. purporting that this man's real name was Bill Wilson... he was a... little guy around 150 pounds, five foot 8 inches... had a habit of resting his thumbs in his belt loops. It was said, when roused to great emotion his tendons would... pop out of his neck... real hot head this guy.
So CIA, or Bill Wilson loads his cargo, of men, onto his plane. He opens the cargo door. AGAIN REMEMBER THEY'RE HUNDREDS OF MILES IN THE AIR AT THIS POINT, he has his soldiers, one of them called Smee, the other Maimen, take his hooded hostages, and leans them out into the howling wind. NOW JUST IMAGINE THIS FOLKS... you're in the dark, bag over your head, you hear this guy talking about flight plans, before you know it WOOSH, cabin doors open, sudden changes in air pressure probably making your ears pop, then he GRABS YOU, and puts your HEAD out of the WINDOW, asking you all these questions "TELL ME ABOUT BANE, WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK"... I CAN'T EVEN... BEGIN TO IMAGINE.

But nothing... they say nothing… BANG, CIA shoots the guy and throws him out of the plane… or if you want to believe revisionist historians, simply… shoots out the plane… as an intimidation tactic and hopes the guy doesn't reveal the… ruse to his buddies… doesn't make a lot of sense to me, regardless.
Now… somehow… CIA finds bane, his prize if you will. He starts to… interrogate the man. The records… scant though they may be… reveal this little… exchange
From CIA, Quote:
>'[in loud nasally voice] IF I TAKE THAT OFF WILL YOU DIE? (Referring to his mask).
To which Bane replied:
>IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY PAINFUL!...
CIA replied:
>YOU'RE A BIG GUY!
Then Bane did something... baffling... his response was:
>FOR YOU!

Now historians have argued for YEARS over the meaning of this exchange... whether Bane meant that he was a big guy in comparison to CIA, or whether he meant it would be extremely painful FOR CIA. Some people even think... that it was some kind of Freudian y'know... PICK UP LINE.. that's a little kooky for me... regardless, this Big Guy was about do do something... unimaginably cruel and vicious and abhorrent and... EVIL... crashing the plane... with no survivors

This is literally the best and only relevant post in this thread, yet it's ignored and ridiculed by the newfag tweens visiting the site and passing through this board. Truly a pearl to the pigs.

The 30 years war.

Talk about Wallenstein.

>forcing your own flesh and blood into something when there's no intrinsic interest for it to begin with
Oh boy, as if that hasn't happened countless times before and went absolutely perfect for both parties? Right?
The juicy irony being that you spent so much time trying to understand how to avoid a catasprophe and here you are making a personal one right now.

How about you just show them what you've enjoyed the most and let them make their own choice whether or not to pursue it, otherwise have fun raising a disaster.

my nigga

Age of mythology was a nice beginning for me

Buy them some Horrible Histories books.

It was Uzbekistan you fucking philistine.

>>forcing your own flesh and blood into something when there's no intrinsic interest for it to begin with

what we had here is a failure to communicate.

I am talking about my nephew.

I was mainly interested in fishing for ideas about games, movies or books I could get him for his B-Day or Xmas.

I am unable and uninterested in forcing him to like anything.

It's just kindof sad to be talking with his stepdad about the Greeks, Romans, WWI or whatever and have my 11 year old try to take part with "yeah, I remember that, and then Kratos..."

Lighten the fuck up.

kek
I might need to check it out myself.

I don't think I'm convincing an 11yr old to listen to a 3 hour anything.

>nipgirlgiggling.gif

same as podcast really. I suppose I could try putting one on for him after he makes me watch some autotuned lets play bullshit. fair is fair. But BCE? come on!

I think a city builder or RTS might be the way to go. Does Age of Mythology have a steep learning curve?

I might go with that.

QFT

I suppose I could see if he's interested in any of my leftovers from my Military Book Club days.

liquor in the front, poker in the rear.

I will look into that for myself as well as him.

My parents were smart to ration my computer time back in the day. Books were the only option.,

Common Core? Because he a gud boy... I'm not even kidding.

Isn't it just shit though>? The older ones have better game play, but even I have trouble stomaching the graphics.

I was 12 when we got Lords of the Realm 2. I think that was my first historical game. Again, it's fun to play for 5mins before I put it down because dat gui.

You are standing in my light.

Is it inappropriate to tell an 11 year old the origins of the phrase "kiss my ass"? I suppose we can be excused if it also involves cyborgs.