Restoring classic cars for a profit?

Watching car shows on TV got me thinking if this could really be as profitable as they show. Any tips on how to pull this off properly? I already found one car that could be restored for a profit, a 1967 Chevy Camaro for only $5500.

bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/5960613443.html

Fully restored they sell for up to $30,000. I'm thinking with a $15k budget I can still walk away with a $9k profit, what do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5970850030.html
charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5976286032.html
winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/5960757988.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just no

Do you have the skills?
Do you have the knowledge?
Do you have the space?
Do you have the time?

Not to mention, drivetrain work and cosmetics of a car that shit will blow your budget and any hope of profits out the window.

You wont get high dollar for a 6 cylinder camaro

You will spend more than 10k in body panel replacement, body work, and painting alone

Profit margins are slim.
TV shows are bullshit. They make money off the network, not the cars.

You need ALOT of knowledge. Otherwise you'll spend a year doing what should have taken a month.
Everything you have to outsource (have someone else paint it, someone else do the upholstery, etc) cuts into any profit.
Only way to make money is to do everything yourself. Turning wrenches isn't enough.
Just for starters you'd need:
>complete tool set
>lift
>sandblaster
>paint booth
>sewing machine for thick upholstery
>the knowledge and skill to successfully craft parts that people would be willing to pay for (I.e., not just "good enough", but correct) for all of that.

It is a great business but you have to be a good business man as well as a master craftsman.

Probably not going to be worth it. The only people that would pay for that shit are boomers and they're all about to die

What an absolute nightmare to restore.

If you're doing this for the intention of profit you need to consider your time invested as well and whether or not YOU can restore the car to a standard of quality that could actually fetch 30k.

No offense, but if watching a few shows on TV is what has you thinking about doing this for profit you may be mislead on how strenuous, and expensive this will be. If it was that easy then there would be a lot more people doing it, and with the prevalence of these type of shows every boomer thinks his 3/10 interior trim piece etc. is worth it's weight in gold

I think you should hold out and pay more for a more complete car that needs some buttoning up and TLC, if you're not familiar with undertaking major repairs (engine rebuilds etc.) that Camaro will be one hell of a challenge

Also if you don't follow through with completing the restoration and sell the car uncompleted you're going to suffer a major loss

>1967 Chevy Camaro for only $5500
>ONLY $5500
>$5500
>for that hunk of complete shit

l-o-fucking-l

Look in your local Craigslist for them, they're incredibly overpriced because of boomers. Even shitty rustbuckets are worth thousands now.

yep we have this thread every time some shit boomer junkyard fag finds a porsche shell

Really doubt the insurance company is going to cover your $30-50K rustbucket no matter how much you scream "iknowuttigot!!!!!!"

someone wants $6,500 for this on my CL

$15k is not even enough for blasting, bodywork, and paint.

link?

its a pro street project

hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5970850030.html

dont get me wrong there are some lol tier ones too

charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5976286032.html

winstonsalem.craigslist.org/cto/5960757988.html

>buy classic for 1k
>fix it up for 5k
>is now worth 2.5k

You have to know what's hot and not with boomers, know what exactly every single location is to every part you need, the phone numbers of every person with a junkyard for classics, very intricate knowledge of engine building and frame/suspension geometry, on-hand painting materials, actual professional tier paint guns.... I mean the list goes on but I'll tell you how I did it for a while. I grew up with a machine shop in my back yard and knew about everyone within 200 miles with a shop or car. We'd buy cars for cheap still running then have my uncle upholster them for thousands of dollars discounted and completely redo the body inside and out and paint them. Usually we made at least 3-4k a car but if you worked half as much doing anything else you could easily make that money. It's very rare you find a super killer deal on muscle.

Those even look worse than OP's. And that first link doesn't have a title. Getting a title for a car is a fucking nightmare at the DMV.

yeah

spending $15 to get a title is crazy

>buy a pretty shell on a pile of shit
>buy an old beetle
>put the shell on the beetle chassis
>???

>hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5970850030.html
I guarantee you that shitty paint job is just to cover the horrors of bondo he used to cover the rust. Wanna know how I know this? Because ... only retarded ... fucking .... boomers ..... think you need .... elipses ..... in text to show .... pauses in thought. And retarded fucking boomers do shit like that every day to classic cars.

all 3 are propably retarded boomers

only people dumber are the ones who buy that shit

Oh I have no doubt, but fuck those retards who type like that.

>spending $15 to get a title is crazy
Then why don't the sellers provide?

my bad it was $20 did it before

you go to a tag office or DMV

fill out some paperwork
give VIN and show ID

wait a couple weeks

wowsers its not hard

I dont know if theyre being lazy or something else

I wish it was that easy in California. I paid $300 to get a title for a 1969 Mustang retitled, and it required an inspection by the Highway Patrol too

A bit rough but mostly this.

if you cant get a hold of the previous owner (or they wont go through the shit to get one) and buy one without a title you have to do that here

but its only $100 and no inspections