Tires Help General

Tire Jockey here. I'm currently a 5s manager at an America's/Discount Tire store, I'm happy to help with whatever questions you got.

>Why America's/Discount Tire?
Most of us salesmen genuinely want to help get you on the road safe. We do NOT make commission, so don't worry about us trying to squeeze cash out of you for personal greed. We offer free rotations and repairs for non-customers, and free balancing for customers (with repairs and rotations included.)

>Where should my new tires go if I'm only buying 2?
Whether it's rear wheel, front, or all wheel drive, we always put the new tires, or tires with best tread on the rears to prevent hydroplaning. If you have better grip and traction on the rear of your vehicle, it helps prevent spinning out.

>I've got a nail, should I buy a new tire?
DO NOT REPLACE A TIRE WITH A NAIL! We will take a look at the tire, and repair the tire for free, as long as it can be safely repaired. We will not repair tires that have any punctures on the far shoulder/sidewall. We use a plug and patch method, so if the patch flexes in anyway that is unsafe, there is a chance that the repair can fail, and will fall off as you drive, which can result in a blowout.

>When should I rotate and re balance my tires?
We recommend every 5,000 miles, so we suggest rotating with every oil change.

>When should I add air into my tires?
I personally recommend every 3 weeks. Not only are you keeping air consistent in your tires, but if you have a nail or a leak in your tire, we'll find it much sooner and prevent run-flat damage.

>Are gas station/gummy plugs safe?
They are only safe if you are in dire need. We do not recommend driving on them more than necessary, reason being: plugs shrink and expand with water. When they get wet, they grow, and shrink. If that happens to them enough, they can fall out completely. Company policy prevents us from working on tires that have already been plugged

If you have any questions, please ask. I am happy to help.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-59652
abc15.com/money/discount-tire-donates-1-million-to-fight-marijuana-initiative-faces-backlash-boycott-threats
mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section5.1.4.shtml
tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force Sport COMP-2&partnum=245WR7GFSPC2
tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500&partnum=245WR7FHWI5XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus V2 concept2&partnum=245VR7H457XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Wife on a trip and gets a flat
>Was going to buy new tires for the car anyway so use this as an excuse
>She takes it to the Discount Tire in town
>Guy comes out to look at the car
>Tells her the current tires were totally shot and should have been replaced a long time ago
>The tires weren't even to wear bars, no dry rotting or anything, at most a couple years old
>Dumb sales guy trying to sell my wife tires when she was already buying some.

You better come up with a different intro if you don't want to get nailed for advertising

>>When should I rotate and re balance my tires?
>We recommend every 5,000 miles, so we suggest rotating with every oil change.

What if my car has larger wider wheels on the back and a uni directional tread pattern?

Dumb question I guess, but still curious to hear your answer

>tires weren't even to wear bars
if your basing your tire needs from this you def needed new tires
you do understand what these do right

What kind of tires? Certain tires have different mileage warranties, and wear down after a year or two.

Literally just an employee who wants to help people. Tire places can fuck you over and I genuinely want to help, there are a lot of car guys that I meet who know almost shit all about tires.

Not a dumb question at all. There's essentially nothing you can do with that. Unless we remove the tires from the wheels, and flip them.
No tire is uni-directional, only certain sides. Each side is directional, one is for left, and another is for right tread pattern.

About to buy some Michelin pilot super sports at costco, can you provide better deal? Costco has 70 dollars off Michelin tires

I get that, just don't hop up your company so hard, it's almost shilling man, just say you work for Discount Tire and you can help answer any question
You mentioning the services offered is borderline shilling

We are actually running that same deal on a set of 4 mich. tires. We will price match as long as you bring proof of price. We offer better customer service, and we also have better benefits than Costco.

m.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-59652

How to tell if these will fit my rims. They're 16" rims, but how much do I have to worry about width

Explain, the wear bar on this tire was about the size of the "coin test" typically used to check tread wear.

There was no way for the guy to know the age or mileage use of the tires and they were in fine shape. They were Yokohama Geolandar G91s which don't have a mileage warranty.

Seems like tire prices fluctuate constantly - is there a cheap month or part of a month to buy a tire?

Black Friday sales are always really good at DT

Stupid fucking memers
>Hurr we need to put new tires on the back so your FWD car doesn't oversteer
>Free tire rotations unless you want your back tires on the front, which we don't do because muh oversteer
Die in hell Discount Tire. The front wheels wear out faster but nobody will put the tires with the most tread on the front.

What the fuck
We don't charge for rotations. If you want new tires on the front, we do it. We just suggest doing otherwise.

No offense, but I'd rather just go to costco for tires. I wait while they put it on and eat a chicken bake with a berry smoothie.

The price of rubber and steel throw the prices of tires around like Cletus throws his wife after a night of heavy drinking.

dumb question

my tires look underinflated when cold, "just right" when warm. They are inflated to my truck's specs

should I add some air?

It's to prevent lift-off oversteer if the rear end looses grip.

I suggest the same at my shop. No one listens or considers the physics. I'd rather be stuck and unable to move, than have the back end walk out on an ice over-pass at 40mph.

>walk into discount tire store
>tell clerk I need 4 hankook optimos in 195-55-15 93V
>clerk asks me what car I drive (which is irrelevant)
>tell him it's a 1994 acura integra LS
>he tells me my tire size is 185-65-14
>tell him I have different wheels on it
>doesn't listen says the tires I'm asking for won't fit hasn't even seen my car

(I literally mount and balance my own tires but he doesn't know I work at a shop)
>tell him they will fit, clerk insists they won't I'm starting to get triggered
>bring him outside and show him
>"ohhhh okay"
>your total is 393.69$ cents not including waste tire fee or tax
>nigger what I just want the tires I'll put them on my self
>clerk looks at me in a weird way asks if I actually know how to mount and balance tires
>look him dead in the eyes and say yes I work in a shop and I'll bet you 100$ I can mount and balance them faster than any of these tire monkeys here
>he nods tells me to pull up out back
>tire monkeys load my tires in my hatch in bags
>clerk walks outside
>sees my Honda uniform shirt draped on my passenger seat, offers me a job >politely decline.
>I get in my car and leave
Some of the staff can be judgemental.

Leave them alone because air expands when it gets hot

Because anyone with half a brain knows new tires ALWAYS goes on the back
Even if your car is
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
OR REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Awd gets all 4 replaced if they are toast.

Besides only poor people buy 2 at once

why don't you guys teach the new guys not to use the impact before its too late

What the fuck, is this a meme? Every goddamn tire shop I've been two recommends replacing the front's on a FWD vehicle because they're the tires that are worn more than the rears, what FWD car has rear tires wearing worse than the front's? This is assbackwards

no, youre just a moron. its been like this for many years, any reputable does this. as others have stated its to help prevent your rear from going sideways in bad weather

Except that the rears don't wear as fast as the front's in a FWD configuration, this is fact
The rears still don't have as much traction/tread as the new tires would and putting them on the rears instead of the fronts, where traction is actually needed, is fucking retarded

Would you rather have your rear end not slide, OR be able to accelerate, turn and stop?

Rear end slide doesn't even fucking happen

>Put new tires on rear
>Suddenly have to stop
>But you don't because your shitty worn out tires on the front have no traction
>Crash and die
>Cops laugh because you're a retard as they pull your body from the carnage

it fucking will when you have traction in front and shit tires in rear dumbass

good luck braking in poor weather famalam

I just replaced 4 shitty tires, drive through bad rain and snow, and the only time the rear drifted was when the snow packed into ice and I made a turn

Fuck off with your nonsense

>I have never worked at a tire shop
>I don't know tire law
>my 87 year old grandpa told me new tires on drive wheels
>I'm a fucking normie retard that thinks the experts are retarded

Sounds about right.
Never change Normie Veeky Forums

>replaced 4 shitty tires

obviously, if you changed all ur tires.

How autistic are you???

How did you not get the fucking point? And you dare call others retarded while being completely retarded about something so fucking wrong?

>tire law
Great, more memes
Point out where an """expert""" says to put new tires in the rear on a FWD car
Oh that's right, you fucking can't

I work at a tire shop. New tires typically* go on drive wheels because that's where tire wear happens. Rotation keeps tire wear even. Putting better tires on nondrive wheels is basically throwing the money you spent on them away because you now have to replace the others that much sooner.
*Exception for inclement weather, in which the better (or half set of snow) tires go on the FRONT because that's where most your braking and all of your steering is. Rear end sliding isn't as hazardous as literally not being able to stop or turn.

Walmart
America's tire
Honda
Toyota
Nissan
Lexus
Acura
Infiniti
Porsche
Land Rover
Jaguar
Nissan
Costco

Literally every fucking dealership and REPUTABLE tire store will tell you the same thing.

If you go to "los amigos tire primos" they will put your tires on where ever you want.

You don't work at a reputable tire shop.

Both of you sound as retarded as people coming in to get 1 tire replaced on their Subaru and then they get ass pained when I tell them they have to get 4 tires.

You just named off a bunch of places that sell tires
Fucking show proof that they say to replace the rear tires on a FWD car when the front's are worn worse, I'm still fucking waiting shithead

Discount tire spent over 1 million dollars in Arizona to keep marijuana illegal. Their corporate office can go fuck themselves.

abc15.com/money/discount-tire-donates-1-million-to-fight-marijuana-initiative-faces-backlash-boycott-threats

L I T E R A L L Y

T H E

F U C K I N G

L A W

mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section5.1.4.shtml

>government fucking website
(in my state though probably not ur shithole)
>BTFO

Walk into your local Walmart tire and America's tire center it will be posted on the wall near the cashier .

Study it closely

Then get fucking rekt punk ass bitch

>If only using two winter tires

Seriously, this is shitty golapost moving garbage

Fucking neck yourself

Yiff in hell furfag, keep making that shit up because you.and I know you can go on the website and cap it, but being as you won't just shows how full of shit your degenerate ass really is

Wait you guys aren't talking about winter tires??? Who the fuck gives a shit about traction on dry ground? This entire thread is basically autism in that case wtffff

Who the fuck mentioned winter tires? No one until your autistic ass and the furfag came in shitting up the thread

Nice damage control.

Are you being retarded on purpose?
Seriously stop believing what you think because it's fucking wrong.

I am not going to hold your hand go see for your self. And while your at it stop at Honda and Toyota on your way back from getting owned by Walmart and America's tire so they can whip your dumbass too.

>says correct fact
>every retard dogpiles him
The reason you are trained to put new tires on the rear even on fwd is because most of the population (women) can control under steer better than oversteer.
But don't delude yourself into thinking new tired to the rear is ALWAYS the right answer

Literally no one suffers from rear tires skidding out in a FWD car in anything less than ice/snow

If you are experiencing this then your tires are completely fucked and you shouldn't have passed the safety inspection in the first place

You literally have no clue what the fuck you're talking about, furfag, and suggest you leave the fucking thread until you actually have something worthwhile to contribute

Only in a RWD configuration
In FWD cars, what you're suggesting is pointless

>judgemental
>damage control
>damage control
>damage control
>I'm retarded the post

Fight me.

When your back ends starts to slide out on a fwd due to loss of traction you are still oversteering

You would get fucking rekt degenerate

And like I said that literally only happens in snow and ice, what the fuck are you even saying?

>You don't work at a reputable tire shop.
This is technically true. I don't really work at a tire shop at all. I work for Ford, our "tire shop" is a Goodyear we share a garage with. And yes AWD cars usually need all 4 tires replaced (the other 1% is people who blow out tires with 95%+ tread left). Congratulations you aren't full blown retarded.
Any tire shop trying to put the better tires on the rear of a fwd car is just trying to cheat the customer. Either replace all 4 or put them where they'll wear.
Not even going to get into cars with staggered tire sizes.

I'm agreeing with u yard, putting wheels on the back is dumb as fuck the law was written in the 60s when they thought it would be better

Well shit, I thought you were one of the idiots my bad

This fucking mook thinks I'm going to let one of your borderline retarded monkeys fuck my wheels up while trying to do a simple mount?

Christ, the last time I was at a discount the little shit whoe pulled my car out of the bay couldn't even drive a manual. I had to listen to him gun the fuck out of it and then squeal the brand new tires.

tl;dr fuck your shilly shit.

>Discount Tire
Nothing discount about ya'll except for the work you do

Fuck outta here, shill

>u yard
>yard

the earth has grown sentient and is out for revenge for us harvesting its resources

run

>There was no way for the guy to know the age
All tires sold in the US are required to have a DOT number stamped on them, which includes the manufacturing location, tire size, manufacturer, and the date. The last 4 digits of the dot number are the week (01 to 52) and the year the tire was made. You are correct that he couldn't have known the mileage without comparing the invoice from when the tires were originally mounted and the current odometer reading, but the age of the tire, the remaining tread, and the level of dry rot are the factors I use to decide whether a customer of mine needs a new tire or not. Not OP by the way, I work at a walmart tire and lube.

>I work at a Walmart tire and lube
God, why? Walmart has the shittiest rep especially for doing shit like not securing oil filters and drain plugs or not properly attaching the lug nuts

I haven't rotated my tires in a few oil changes. (10k miles at least). How would i rotate them? I drive a 2002 ford explorer and i usually do back to front and swotch the right and left from the front to the back. Should i do what i usually do or what?

Yeah, that's the typical way

After i rotate should i just let them run like that for another 10k miles?

Nah, I would do it sooner and stick to that

Because people go there for service anyway and I'm not retarded enough to do shit like that? It pays ok and they have really flexible hours which is good because I'm still in college.

>still in college
Well your store is lucky, you oughta see the bums, crackheads and alkies that work at the one near me

>Talk to these big stores who sell literally the cheapest tires they can buy for the price of a Michelin

K

>buy some $30 gook tires for my shitbox
>DO YOU WANT YOUR TIRES SHINED UP SIR?
>No thanks I live on a dirt road
>tires are slathered with goop

Probably a dumb question, but --

If I'm going for bigger tires on a lifted vehicle and I don't know what will fit/likely not rub, will you guys know? Will you test fit a tire or two and let me eyeball it?

>instead of the ass end sliding around a little, we'd rather you understeer directly into a fucking wall

smart

OP here. I've abandoned eh thread because you fucking retards all wanna argue of where two tires go.
If you got questions, figure that shit out on your own.

Hey, what do you think of the Falken Azenis FK450?

Belle tire pleb here. Only working here for a few months until I can get more work in the summer. A buddy told me tire techs at discount get paid $14 an hour. Is that true?

If that's the case I'm going to get as much experience as I can and then maybe next winter I'll work at a discount tire

I bet you don't even know how to dismount a tire from a wheel. And even if you do, I still bet you couldn't do it. There's a technique to it.

It honestly depends which store you go to. Talk to the techs at the store there. My store started at minimum, and the boss hardly ever gives a raise to anyone. But there's another store in my area that starts all techs at $13 an hour, now $14 probably cause of the wage raise.

Just go to a store, let the techs know you're interested in working there, but a friend from another store recommended you ask the techs about their boss first, cause that can honestly make or break the fun in the job.

Fuck you shill

You realize the guys here who actually spend money on performance tires just have their new drag radials and pilots ordered into pajeets shop at a warehouse price. We dont need your shitty pumped up prices and "free" warranty

So I have very bad credit, and I want to buy some KO2 31x10.50R15, the full set. Guy said it's 830 something out the door with insurance which is honestly a great deal to me. Is there a better deal that I can get for the same KO2s?

Can I qualify to finance the tires if I give them 300$ as
A down payment?

Discount tire is based. Gimmie code for free tires.

I don't have proof, but Costco wouldn't put news on the front, to I had to have them put on, then have a rotation the next day.

We don't give a shit where tires go, honestly. We recommend rears, but will put them wherever you want.

Yeah, you will also get an credit card that you can use which will give you a killer discount.

Honestly dude I try my best to give my customers nearly wholesale price. Especially if they are loyal customers

I didn't know this. Discount used to be my go to tire shop but i guess im changing now.

>Fucking show proof that they say to replace the rear tires on a FWD car

None of those guys (first post in thread), but for my new car from the chevrolet dealership, I asked about tire replacement and rotation since I was wondering about when I could replace the default tires with "better" ones. It was only the salesman and not the manager, but he said tires should be rotated so that they have even usage. That results in all 4 tires being replaced with new fresh tires at once.

He said because the rears don't wear much on FWD, if rotation doesn't occur, those tires could be on there to the end of the car while the fronts have been replaced many times. As a result, those tires could be old and old. So he said rotate tires. If you don't do rotations by themselves, then when getting NEW tires, have the tire shop move the old rear tires to the front and put the new tires in the back. That will force you to get rid of the older tires sooner.

Or that is a paraphrasing of what I was told. The use of the new tires on the rear was to force me to move the older ones to the front and use them up before they got too old.

Though I protested, the Discount close to where I lived would only put them on the rear (I didn't have time to press the issue), so I just swapped front/rear when I got home and never went there again.

Crazy idea.

Have good tires on both ends of your vehicle, and never have problems.

i also have no rotated my tires in a long time
2wd ford ranger
two front ones are 6mo old highway tires
rear two are 3y.o all weather tires.
spare is a bald tire that holds air.

do i just switch tire sides?

Guy seeking quality tires here.

225/45/17, I'm not looking to break the bank, I want the tires to just last as a daily use. I drive at most 1,500 miles a year so the tires will probably rot before I burn though them.

>I drive at most 1,500 miles a year so the tires will probably rot before I burn though them.
sounds like you are in the market for $25 used tires.

i usually wreck my tires through poor car driving/maintenance long before i wear through the tread sooooo thats what i go with

Alright, well whats a decent brand to get used, I know my state requires 2/32 tread to pass inspection and I have seen a few with 9/32 left on craigslist. But brands are what I don't know. I know what to check and how to check it, but not the quality of the company behind them.

tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force Sport COMP-2&partnum=245WR7GFSPC2
I'd recommend these to anyone who gives a shit about tire quality. What car?

Stick with name brands if you can. Michelin, Goodyear, BFGoodrich, Continental, Yokohama, etc. I wouldn't put an off-brand tire on a car for any reason, new or used.

SVT Focus.

I know that 215/45/17 is recommended but since I don't have a drop I can do 225 without worrying about rubbing.

As for tire brands I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

I did have my eyes on these for a while.

tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500&partnum=245WR7FHWI5XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

And these.

tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus V2 concept2&partnum=245VR7H457XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

The firehawks suck
Look into Kumho Ecsta 4X
Sumitomo HTR A/S P02

Don't get Yokohama's, they're not well reviewed like the Sumitomos

legit tire question and this cuck gave no help

>rims
>doesn't know the basics of tire width to wheel width
>didn't bother to at least search about how much wall he can have

user, you asked a very stupid question without even knowing some of the basics, at least put forth a little effort.

I'm not that user, but the guy asked for help and the shill ignored him instead of giving any pointers.

>The shill
And? It's the shills fucking thread. Go ask dumb questions in the dumb questions thread.

is it because user used a summit racing link? kek fuckin' shills.

OP you're not making yourself look very good right now.

Not likely, Other anons answered my questions through Tirerack, The fact that this guy however used a very poor description in his question is probably what got him no answers.

Now I've fucking seen it all
I thought the Ford "shilling" was just trolling, but this
This takes the fucking cake

>mfw we finally got a discount tire
>always heard good things
>go in for grand opening sales
>4 decent wheels put on the car for $550 but theyre offering a $100 rebate for the opening and their partner bank who does their financing is matching rebates
>"so i buy the wheels, get the finance card, pay it all off the same day, and get $200 back in store?"
>"yep"
>agree to it, they order the wheels
>come in to pay, have to apply for the big old $600 financing which i make in a week
>they deny me based on lack of credit
>"ill still take them if you give me $200"
>3 weeks later they call and ask if i want the wheels without the rebate. fucking obviously not

Recommend me some quality tires for daily driving. I'm looking for comfort and little to no road noise. Not sure what the price would be, but I'm not settling i want comfy tires senpai