Rust

What the fuck is the deal with rust

Don't think of it as rust...think of it as cancer...

R...ust? What's that?

>he fell for the 'dealerships are trying to scam me with undercoating and i laughed when they suggested it' meme

>tfw need to replace a rear quarter panel due to rust

A bunch of sjw cunts tried to make something to replace C++ and failed

DEJA VU
I'VE JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE

You need water to make things rust

>water
No. Rust forms when iron burns.

>American education

Am I gonna make it?

>implying the combination of elements with oxygen isn't burning

>dat fluid seepage

what do you do to salvage this? Will rustproofing/undercoating still help at all?

My car which I bought used is in this shape when I bought it, but eh i thought it's cheap econobox beater anyways so do I even bother "rustproofing" it next year?

it's impossible to find a 1st gen Mazda3 without rust anyways

you have to take the rust off and then spray shit on it to keep it from rusting.

Stay in school kid

Nah the rust will keep going under the undercoat and you will never get all the rust flakes and paint chips sealed over.

I'm restoring my Subaru and I've put my hand through places that were only undercoat and looked fine, but all the metal underneath was gone.

Check your rear wheel wells with a hammer. My struts were about to come out of top and bring the towers with them.

Save up and get something without rust before you put work into it

Buy a rust free car and oil undercoat the shit out of it every year.

I had a control arm break from rust too

>what do you do to salvage this?
New subframes and suspension parts. The body will probably need some metal work after you're done pulling it apart as well.

>What the fuck is the deal with rust
Wash the sides followed by the undersides of the car after driving on salt slush roads. I've had my car for many years and still minimal rust when I use a selfie stick to look underneath the car.

Fire is caused by rapid oxidation but oxidation is not fire.

try again dear

is it really that bad? Not the best quality since it's a snapshot off the video I took.

Once I get a better job, I'll buy a new car and rustproof that shit every year (or is it just impossible to keep a car rust-free?) but I want this car to last me at least 5 to 10 more years.

Replace all those parts with tubes and poly, you'll be fine.

That looks mostly like surface rust. You can probably wire bush off the top layer and hit it with rust converter. If it's not flaking off in big chunks it's easily salvageable with a little work.

Or undercarriage wash obsessively.

Though to be fair, the only time that's even slightly practical is on trucks with plenty of ground clearance and access to a power washer. Keeping road salt and grime away is very important, even if you're oil undercoating too. An undercoat going over salt/grime is a recipe for tears.

This. Rust converter is straight up amazing for surface rust. You don't need to wire wheel it down to bare "clean" metal, just knock any flaked paint off, wash with a good solvent pre-cleaner, and the rust converter does the rest. Eastwood shit is amazing BTW, I used it on a bunch of Miata control arms and they looked like brand new afterwards.

>Rust converter is straight up amazing for surface rust.
It really is. I used some on my brake calipers after I had the old ones replaced and the new ones started to rust almost immediately. I wish I'd heard about it sooner when more of my undercarriage was salvageable because now I'm at the point where I'd need a donor car to get rid of the rust.

What is rust?

Rust is a chemical reaction, and aluminium can rust too just in a different way

Not really, aluminium, when oxidized, forms a protective layer as a result. Rust goes to the bone.

im fuckin dying rn

Using a selfie stick instead of getting under
the fucking car
>gtfo

>Tfw my Miata had no rust for the 4 years I've had it in the rust belt as my DD (even in winter)
>Tfw just last week some dumb cunt turns right in front of me, totaling my Miata and breaking my ankle
Ankles can be replaced, your baby can not ;_;

get a wirebrush or a sander and rub it off
put some paint over it and done
stop being a whiney faggot this isn't even rough.

That only works with surface rust.

that is only surface rust,
the only rust itt that's not surface are these two

Wouldn't this project have occured under Brandon 'pence is my guy' eich

It never sleeps.

wait untill you start jacking the car up and wonder why after the jacks at full extension, the car isnt off the ground
>tfw 6 inch deep into that sill

My 280zx died that way.

i dont get it

if you're next to the sea which SF and LA are, don't your shit rust just as bad because of the seawater mist everywhere

>What is rust?
It's what's covering your rear diff.

>tfw 15 year old ford
>tfw illinois
>tfw previous owners never undercoated it
>tfw more rusty metal than a 50 year old scrapyard

how female are you?

27 years old Nissan

what the fuck is that greasy shit

Wax

>be complex multicellular lifeform
>hurr I need an insanely fast metabolism which can only be fueled by living in an atmosphere full of extremely reactive chemicals
>oh no these chemicals are reacting with stuff woe is me

Go live under a lakebed if rust bothers you so much lmao

what does it smell like when it's melting?

What's the point of wrapping the lift arm?

If youre looking for a cheap rust inhibitor go for brushed on rustoleum rusty metal primer and then a top coat of brushed on enamel. Brush and clean surface as well as you can. Use a cup wheel on a grinder where possible. Much much cheaper than por15 and almost as good if prepped correctly.

so it doesnt get covered in molten wax?

actually wat the fuck kind of shop is that, tile on the walls?

I don't understand.
The molten wax is going on the 27 year old car?
Or is that a car preserved for 27 years by molten wax?

pretty delicious
because melted wax is sticky

>The molten wax is going on the 27 year old car?
this
Car was well preserved so I decided to do anti-corrosion treatment.

entropy is a bitch.

This!

>anti-corrosion treatment.
Why not paint?