Are manual cars these days even manual?

Are manual cars these days even manual?

they all seem to have automated shit now like hillstart and stuff

Or really squishy numb pedals. I can barely even feel the grab point in many cars.

Also, fuck electronic throttles. There's no resistance so I have no idea how much force I need to apply.

Only sports cars seem to be coming in manual nowadays. Oh, and the smart cars, weirdly enough.

that's the thing though. A lot of seriously fast sports cars come exclusively with DCTs and paddle shifters because they're faster than any manual could ever be. Meanwhile anyone who wants to drive manual to feel more engaged in the driving experience gets shafted because "you can still change gears manually, just use the paddles".

Yeah it's fucking dumb. Cars that are already so fast you can get to Highway speeds in 2 seconds yet they must come with nerd paddles because it's faster. I get old people don't like traffic in manuals, no one does, but cmon. I'm sure part of it is more $ for stupid meme transmission servicing with Manufacturer gold flake fluid that "has" to be used.

Just listen for that gate sound and feel the boost hit you and then you know ;^)

Its like anything else modern cars are designed for morons who cant function without some kind of crutch to assist them. For this reason I cannot see myself buying a new car, would much rather buy something old and interesting and make it fast/handle.

>mfw im 26 and I can sympathise with boomers

Wtf is engaging about a freaking stick. It is the suspension and how the car goes through turns that makes a ride exciting

>I like having less control over my car.

if you go drive one you will realize that driving an automatic is like driving around in 5th most of the time

Mfw car companies like Toyota would rather put paddle shifters instead of using a cheaper sequential gearbox

Fun? I dont even know what 5th feels like

Cars these days have hillstart assist because brillant designers thought it was cool to replace the perfectly fine manual handbrake by an electronic one.

>HE fell for the manuel meme

There are cars with both, hill assist and manual handbrakes.

A sequential race gearbox is over $50k. They're also not suitable for cars in traffic because reasons.

Even the based Aston Martin has "AM Shift" so it rev matches for you, but at least this can be disabled like in C7 Corvettes.

What really upset me was that in new Porsches, even the 911 R, when you go into sport mode it automatically puts on the autoblipper, and it can't be disabled unless you want to drive around not in sport mode...
To me it would make more sense to be the other way around, for it to rev match for you when you're just putting around town and then in sport mode it lets you do the work.

I for one think sport mode is gay. Let it be sporty all the time.

Look at a 993 c2s. That's an excellent car, probably one of the best sports cars there is, and it doesn't need self adjusting, gorillion mode suspension.

I for one think your gay

That's okay.

>What really upset me was that in new Porsches, even the 911 R, when you go into sport mode it automatically puts on the autoblipper, and it can't be disabled unless you want to drive around not in sport mode...

In BMWs that have auto revmatch you can turn off DSC/Traction to disable it, maybe you can do the same in the porsche?

>carb'd
>manual
>no steering assist
>no ABS
>no bullshit

Y'all are pussies.

>stalls in 1984 rust bucket jap pickup that makes 65 horses, then floods carb trying to re-start it up.

Can you even buy BMW in manual anymore? They don't sell a single naturally aspirated car in the US though.

Too much for soccer moms who floor it every light to handle

Take your air filter off and open the hood, it works for me

I just crank it in gear and let it chug until it fires up.

That's why the Mercedes SL exists, not why a gt3rs exists

I mean, I owned a 996 C4S so yeah I agree with you on that front but when I drove my friend's 997.1 Turbo, it's pretty damn stiff, and the exhaust baffles are closed when its not in sport mode, so if I daily drove it and had a long commute, I'd keep it in normal mode and it would be perfectly refined, comfortable, and not too loud for lots of highway driving.

If you always want it in sport mode, just keep it in sport mode. For those who don't, or don't always, they have that option. It's like the M button in BMW M cars, an M5 can easily masquerade as a 550i and then when you want fun, it's at the touch of a button.

I'd always keep it in sport mode though.

Your going to fuck up your starter

Yeah I get that. But I don't want it, then again I'm a minority consumer

>Can you even buy BMW in manual anymore? They don't sell a single naturally aspirated car in the US though.
German here, so I wouldn't know if you guys still get manuals, pretty sure you can get the 2 series with manual in the USA tho.

>Mercedes

I don't own the vehicle in description anymore.

Starter was still fine last I heard, though.

>Only sports cars seem to be coming in manual nowadays
A lot of them don't even come that way anymore.
You have to go back to '09 to get a stick Ferrari (F430), and you'd still have to pay six figures for it.

Hill assist is the only reason I don't mind driving a manual as my DD....

How do i get better at hills.

when I have my handbrake on do i get the biting point first then gas then release handbrake. or do I give it gas, get biting point then drop the handbrake?

i can feel the clutch in my 2013 sonic just fine

Biting point, release handbrake, gas.
OR
Brake pedal, biting point, release brake pedal, gas

I recently converted by semi drive by wire accelerator pedal to full cable

The difference is amazing

>this
the manual trans can even make my shit 138 hp chevy fun

Yeah, believe it or not it has a stick that ACTUALLY requires human interaction! Wow i'm so glad that the human body is automatic! I myself actually, according to the GM Parts bin, am a th350. But you're too fucking idiotic to recognize me. Show respect to my torque converter you fucking ADD prick slap. Also please for the love of god KYS

>what is parking break
>what is clutch control

not an argument

>mfw americans call a dagumi boomy hektic stick a parking break

My Focus is.
But then, I live in britain where people mostly drive manuals, and would object to that shit on a DD.

That's only because of inertia and lack of torque. 'Safety' features forced in by americans who keep rear-ending people, much like airbags are for americans who refuse seatbelts.

My shitty manual car has an electric parking brake you can only activate if you have your foot on the pedal brake. Not sure what the fuck you were thinking, because you have to burn the clutch on hills.

Fucking this. I was travelling out of state not too long ago so I rented a new-ish manual suzuki swift and it surprised me how finnicky it was to drive. It had the weakest clutch I have ever seen and the fact that it made bismal amounts of torque in the lower ranges only made it less tolerable. The rest of the car was fine, but I think it was just a dumb idea to stick a manual transmission into a car that was designed to be nothing more than your average automatic economy car.

Have you ever actually driven a car?

>have shit bone stock hyundai from the 90's
>EFI and thats it basically
>manual means manual
>no fly by wire shit anywhere on the car
if that thing had lighter wheels and a better suspension i'd track it for sure
tons of fun for a 66kw shitbox