How many tools do you need to fix a car?

How many tools do you need to fix a car?

Other urls found in this thread:

sears.com/craftsman-311pc-mechanics-tool-set-with-free-6pc/p-00944777000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
sears.com/craftsman-3-ton-floor-jack-stands-and/p-00950188000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Enough

Two or three, I dunno

fuck tons

A reasonable set of chisels, a mallet and a tenon saw should keep you going until you figure out what kind of work you're interested in doing.

A lot.

A LOT A LOT.

Start with something like a Craftsman #39785 set. It's a great set 'cause it has tons of sizes, and since it's pass-thru, you don't need separate deeps and shorts.

Get some TekTon MaxTorx wrenches. And the Craftsman Max Axess stuff has available torx and allens.

TekTon makes some good kits too.

Buy some pliers and vice-grips and some screwdrivers, some hammers, and a hacksaw. And you'll be sorta good to go.

You'll always encounter needing a more specific tool, but you won't be able to really account for that ahead of time without some experience under your belt already.

>go to store to buy a jack
>it's like $200
>$20 for a tire wrench
>I don't even know how much money a ratchet set costs

JUST

Where the fuck are you shopping?

desu most Veeky Forumstier mechanics are fine with harbor freight tier tools. you can get a set to start you off for like $200 which will have 95% of all you need. Then add on that some torque wrenches, jack/jack stand, and when stuff breaks that's the stuff you know you need/use a lot and upgrade to something nicer

Probably Sears.

is sears still in business

I buy things from them, so yes.

sears.com/craftsman-311pc-mechanics-tool-set-with-free-6pc/p-00944777000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

and

sears.com/craftsman-3-ton-floor-jack-stands-and/p-00950188000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

both seem like a good deal but I don't think the tools come with anything to store them in, and if you have a lower car you might need a low profile jack. Add on torque wrenches in the sizes you need, probably a breaker bar or two as well.

The specialty tools you run into will be what gets you though

Pittsburgh

more than you can afford, pal

never enough

Enough to fix a car

Dont buy a fucking floor jack for simple shit like oil changes.. You can always buy ramps at Harbor Freight Tools for $35 or less.

>I learned this the hard way

you can get 3 ton jack stands are harbor freight for 17 bucks, get both ramps and stands.

my two cents about ramps:

when I was a kid when it would snow I would take my dad's ramps and pat snow on them to make a sick jump for tubing down the steepest hills

I tried doing a barrel roll once and didn't make it and got a face full of ice once, kinda fucked my face up for a few weeks

One