Why are modern cars so ugly?

Is there a certain agenda behind this? Do people push functionality over aesthetics for a reason?

People say "Design costs", but that's bullshit considering that mid-range cars in the 50s and 60s used to look good.

Those cars didn't even have a 6th odometer digit back then.

If you made it to 100k, you were on your third tranny and perhaps second engine.

If.

safety regs.

I know American cars were pure shit, but I'm talking about the design. Why are todays cars so ugly, I doubt this has anything to do with financial reasons.

What I said applies to every car, from everybody, up 'till the late '70s at the least.

Modern Design language 2003+

>Safety regs
>market trends
>Stupid eco emissions shit

Muh aerodynamics and crossovers.
That's pretty much it

That!

That!

Emissions requirements leading to aerodynamic considerations, safety requirements immensely impacting styling considerations, shift in costs for different materials and manufacturing technologies.

Forgot to mention that of course considerations of aerodynamics and weight are not only influenced by legal requirements but also by practical competition. Would you buy a car that gets 20 mpg when all similarly sized and powered competitors get 34 mpg because they employ more aerodynamic shapes and lighter materials?

(Yes is a legitimate answer to this question, but in this case please just buy an old car in the first place instead of expecting modern cars to pander to your priorities.)

So I can't produce a decent looking car because of safety regulations?

How comes that Lambos and Bentleys look decent than?

High quality materials with fewer regards to manufacturing costs. Also I don't know the specific legal framework but apparently you can still build oldschool cars in Europe, it seems to be a guideline rather than a law to have airbags and so on like in the US.

Function sells. It's why cars like the Prius are so popular.

In some way, there's a level of maturity it takes to put aesthetic appeal aside for a car that makes function a first priority.

I want a caterham so much ;(

Regardless of law and corporate decision factors, most of the blame lies with stupid normalfags who approved this shit with their bank accounts by purchasing a rolling soap. The customers decide whether something succeeds or fails and most car customers don't give a single fuck about aesthetics.

Why is that car you posted so ugly?

There are exceptions for non-mass production cars, like Morgans, Caterhams, kit cars etc. regarding airbags, pedestrian safety

IIRC something similar was passed in the US last year

>muh maturity
maturity=no passion

One can be passionate about things other than aesthetics.

>muh passion
Passion = no features