Why wont big daddy GM and Ford import ute's into the US? I'm sure they will sell like hotcakes!

why wont big daddy GM and Ford import ute's into the US? I'm sure they will sell like hotcakes!

No market

GM tried it, and it failed horribly.

The Chevy SSR.

Probably because a ute costs less than a pickup, and most people who buy pickups (to use, not as a status symbol) would be able to satisfy their needs with a ute. This would result in less profit for the manufacturer.

>chevy ssr
but that ute is batshit disgusting compared to the holden

>Retro styled limited edition ugly ass $50k thing fails
>GM is suprised

It doesn't matter. The whole point was to bring the ute design to the US. It sold very, very poorly. So as far GM knows, no one in the US likes utes.

I even think it had a corvette engine in it too.

Because they don't want ruin their nice sexy classic utility coupe by turning either one into a disgusting unibody piece of shit. It's best that its left as a alone rather than butchering it.

no, GM didn't try.
The SSR was an abomination and a poor example.
It was a convertible only, came only with a tonneau cover, was based on the Trailblazer, and was WAY overpriced.
The thing would've sold had it been around 30-35k. Nope. For maybe a grand more, you could have a Corvette, which was, you know, actually sporty and not pretending to be.

Chicken Tax

The first one had a 5.3 truck engine. Auto only, 15.9 second quarter mile at 84 mph. Abomination. Last two years had the LS2 and manual available apparently but by then no one was paying attention.

and now CAFE ratings on top of that
a "compact" truck now has to have a window sticker rating of 27mpg to cover CAFE
by simply making a larger truck (think current f150) you only have to have 19mpg

on top of that CAFE ratings increase to a sticker rating to 37mpg by 2025

so why fucking bother making a smaller truck?

There was the Subaru Brat and the Subaru Baja.
I always wanted a Baja, but they're boats compared to Forester XTs.

>ugly convertible """"ute"""""
>50k price tag
Wow I wonder how that could have possibly failed

>Australian el caminoe
>sell like hot cakes
lolno

the question is if rednecks would swap their lifted chrome mall crawlers for bns utes

bns utes are fucking disgusting
>another ute owner

>classed as a car because protectionist laws that favor pickup trucks
>has to comply with car class crash and emissions standards
>drives up cost
>can't carry that much more than a wagon, only with an open bed instead of a roof
>unlike a wagon doesn't have a rear seat
At the end of the day you're paying car money for a truck with a car load capacity and no rear seats.

That's not how CAFE works at all, but nice try.

yeah but they're heaps sick

They should have made another Monaro based on the VF. No idea why they haven't yet.

BEAST

BUILT FOR SEX

Fuck that poofter car

I don't understand how the US doesn't have Ford Falcons, they are literally the GOAT of sedans.

Maybe those Amerifats just don't deserve what we have.

i think their logic is "who wants a falcon when you can have a fiesta?"

What a fucking fag car, looks like the kind of car an 18 year old girl would drive.

Americans decide the value of a car through the badge, not the quality of the vehicle. If the badge isn't desirable, then they automatically assume a bargain bin price and won't buy it for anything more than that.

The VF sedan is sold as the Chevy SS in the US and it's doing pretty badly actually because the higher quality engineering, materials and assembly are adding up to a price that Americans are simply unwilling to pay for a Chevy, especially when they can have a far worse built but larger Impala for far less money.

And Americans think they want a maloo kek
>$65,000USD

They'd pay exactly $25,000 for it, because for $26,730 they can have an F-150.

>tfw gm won't sell us anymore glorious aussie based wagons

I want an Australian car.

I'm thinking about buying the Holden GTO to suffice.

>classed as a car because protectionist laws that favor pickup trucks
That is fine they are designed as cars.
>has to comply with car class crash and emissions standards
they do comply with them and they have a 5 star ANCAP safety rating.
>can't carry that much more than a wagon, only A ford ute has a capacity of 1 metric tonne, would you put two grand pianos on your roof?
>unlike a wagon doesn't have a rear seat
you could fit like 15 mates in the tub.

Or a Holden Suburban.

thing is the maloo is actually a decent car, even has good brakes

Holden does not make one, Holden sells the Isuzu D max.

why did they place a picture of a dog scratching behind his ears on the wheels?

makes it seem like a race car because HSV and HRT are kinda the same sounden accorden to me m8

And the thing is, the F150 is a standard for trucks in America. The thing isn't even a full truck, probably gets equal to or worse mileage, and can't haul as much. It's worth less in those respects which is why it wouldn't sell in American markets.

Americans aren't free enough for real utes.

Also it would be classified as a car and subject to car emissions and crash test standards.

>all that money into stupid tyres and a lift kit
>IFS

I don't even into fourbying but that's disgusting.