Stupid Question Thread Veeky Forums edition

Ask your stupid questions here.

When buying front strut mounts, do I need to get them specific to the side of vehicle or will two of the same be okay?

bump

Is stopleak a bad idea for the power steering hose?

Yes, if its more viscous than the fluid should be theres a chance it will burst and explode everywhere.

Oil sensors, that ones that are mounted near the filter,

They're not too expensive or difficult to replace, right?

How serious is it replace the strut assemblies? Like is that something I can wait on?

Same with motor mounts.

no and no

Anyone have any info for me over here? Rather than type it out again.

In my shitty auto car the shifter options are in a straight line. From top to bottom: P R N D 3 2 1. (Please, save me the bullshit)

While I was driving my passenger accidentally bumped the stick and it changed from D to N without needing the button on the stick depressed. Is this normal? I discovered I could move from Drive to Neutral freely with very little force while the car is in motion, but not beyond that or below that. It was fairly jarring going from driving to reving like a mother fucker with no throttle control.

What would be better for car meets? An 02 Is300 or 05 GTO? Never been into meets but I my honda friends keep trying to get me to go.

It's normal

Nice saturn. And yes.

are cars modular to a point? can i put any engine in any car vice versa given enough money or are there limitations i can't physically bypass from manufacturer to manufacturer

Thanks guys

Why do my windows always fog up when I sit in my car for more then a minute? Does it mean that the air is really damp inside or is there a problem with the ac?

When I had my transmission replaced on a Pontiac Fiero last April, they also replaced the rear main seal and oil pan gasket as preventative measure. Now both are leaking. I dont want to deal with those guys again (a lot of fuckups, condescending attitude, constant holdups and late work) - do you think rear main gasket stop leak would have any effect on a (supposedly) new rear main seal? Or am I fucked?

No, do not fucking use stop leak. Either live with the leak or fix it.

GTO. Nobody is gonna give a fuck about an LS300 but a few people will care about a GTO.

But why? I know coolant stop leak gums up your radiator, but doesnt oil gasket stop leak just puff up your gaskets or something?

replace that shit asap

How absolutely retarded would it be to DD a FD.

How the fuck does one get affordable car insurance?

>25 years old
>Ontario
>G class license
>1990 shitbox

With comprehensive it's $1400-$1600 per annum. Am I just going to have to suck up getting shafted because I live in the worst province? If I call places can I try and negotiate a better rate?

I've been trying to hold out for a 90s-00s Camry in my area but they're always overpriced out if my budget. Is there another make/model that is just as reliable

You sound like a 16 year old who has no considerations for anything other than how cool a car is and how fun it is to drive.

What would be the best way to go about recreating this and making it into a functional vehicle. I dont know why, but i love this ugly thing and ive wanted one for a while.

Now what would be the cheapest way? A custom body kit or something for a similarly shaped vehicle?

Im asking for opinions on the cheapest way, and then on the best way. Wanting to get a few options in mind to work with

Well here comes a doozy; if I for some reason wanted to rev my engine will in motion on an automatic car, do I just drop it to neutral, blip the gas, wait for the revs so drop and then put it back in D? Will this hurt the transmission much? In a manual you can just pop the clutch.

>will neutral dropping hurt my car?

what is torque and why is it good?
what's the difference between HP at the crank and HP at the engine?

I just realized every single car I ever owned starts to get fucked up camber after a year or two.

Is there something I'm doing to throw the wheel out of alignment? I tend to ignore speedbumps and I corner quickly, but I don't see why that's cause the camber to shift.

Also why the fuck is the camber/caster/toe even adjustable? Why isn't the alignment fixed?

Should I get the new Acura ILX?

I drive over 100 miles a day, mostly interstate, so I need something that
- is very reliable
- is relatively fuel efficient
- has no problem cruising at 80 for long periods of time
- can live to well over 200k miles

I was also looking at the new Mazda 3.

What is a good car for a newbie europoor driver that's getting his license in a couple of months?

crank and engine hp are same, wheel hp is through the drivetrain, usually lower cus losses n shit.

torque is what you feel from a dead stop, its the "pulling power" more is always better.

The struts are leaking, motor mounts are fucked. Need to prioritize.

when looking for a cheap shitbox, is it wise to look at higher mileage ones (not insanely high ofc), cause they probably already have alot of stuff replaced by then?

How can I keep myself from being jewed on a craigslist car?

>Why isn't the alignment fixed?
because dead shits like you continuously crash there car into gutters and storm drains and wonder why it pulls to one side after you've warped every inch of steel in the car.

You're thinking conditioner.

Dude that's 140$/ mo. I have fuckin 370$/ mo
i am fucking jelly

I'd say since the transmission has to lug itself back to a gear and it doesnt try to rev match or do anything to smoothen it out, that's excessive wear.