Considering buying a car from a dealer

I'm going to this local car dealership tuesday to check out this 97 honda civic hatchback. They want $3000 i'm gonna offer $2500.

What are some common issues with this car and what should I look for and ask about? Can a dealer lie about problems?

Help Veeky Forums i've never bought a car by myself before

pic unrelated

I mean, each individual car can have its own problems due to neglect. I guess check the timing belt/chain, frame, and gaskets. Obviously take a test drive too.

I tested a 95 Cougar that had almost no brakes and a stiff shifter. That fucker was over 3 grand.

I'm gonna test drive for sure, i wish I was a little more knowledgeable with cars, my only day off this week is tuesday and I basically need to get this car that day if its legit. The few relatives I have that are good with cars are gonna be at work when I'm test driving

>Common issues
I don't mean to sound like a dick but it's a 20 year old car being sold for $3,000 so expect some minor/moderate issues. I don't know much about civics but always inspect the car for rust and take a nice, long test drive to see if any issues pop up along the road.

>Can a dealer lie about problems
Yep. And most of them have no idea what condition the cars are actually in, if they have any problems, etc. They have one job and that is to sell the car by any means possible.

I highly recommend investing in an OBD II scanner to read any trouble codes on the car. For one thing, it lets you know if there are any issues with the car and when you inevitably find trouble codes, you can use that as a bargaining tool. A good scanner is only about $50.

Good luck.

Also, if you're really concerned about the condition of the car you can pay a third party to inspect it. It's called a PPE (Pre Purchase Inspection). They can run a couple hundred dollars though.

Keep an eye open for misfires, slips in the tranny, creaking suspension or any other odd rattles and noises.

>OBD II scanner

Pretty sure advance auto parts has one of these and will read it for free, but im also pretty sure that the employees are too fucking incompetent to know what the codes mean most of the time.

A dealer will do an oil change and maybe the plugs and tires (and they may be cheap shit).

There's a good chance it was neglected in every other aspect and was owned by a complete retard or five

jack up and check literally every suspension component for play

if they won't let you raise a car, or raise a car for you and let you wiggle the tires and tie rods, they're not worth your time

If it's automatic literally walk away. The transmissions are shit.

Check the oil. The d16y7 in those cars burn oil due to shitty piston rings ALL of the d series do it. Common problem. Check for leaks in the spark plug holes. Pull the wires out one by one and check for soaked oil due to bad tube seals.

Check transmission fluid (if it's auto) it must be pink and not any other color. If its brown it's need to be changed.

Check for rust obviously.
Timing belt you won't see because It's covered. Ask when it was changed last.

I can't drive manual cuz im retarded

is there a site similar to carfax thats free?

>everything but manual is worthless
Don't listen to this retard, OP. Automatic transmissions are not all bad. If they've been properly cared for they should last you the lifetime of the engine.

Just avoid any 3-speed autos you may find and probably be okay.

Yea i've been driving automatic since I got my license and I've always done basic maintenance on them and never had a problem

I found a website that supposedly does free vin checks and it says that theres never been any issues with this particular vehicle. Are these reliable?

Listen here dipshit those shitty 4 speeds are notorious for going out because of torque converter failure.

Even more so since its 20 fucking years old

I suggest you learn if you want to buy anything that's 10 years old or older.

t.Honda mechanic of 5 years

just let the faggot get the auto civic. if he loves buying new transmissions let him

Fuck, you guys are making me 2nd guess myself

What should I look for if I want a reliable car that isn't going to break down immediately but I'm broke?

What's your budget?

I've got $3000 and a shitty credit score

I also dont really want to spend that entire $3000 so financing is a thing, i could pay it off at tax return which is already filed.

But I need a car like right now, ive been driving a vehicle my parents borrowed me for months, and theyre pissed

If it's bang for buck we're talking, just grab a nip mobile off of Craigslist for 1-2k and get a couple years out of it. No strings attached.

DO NOT JUMP AT THE FIRST "GOOD DEAL" YOU SEE you will FUCK everything up and regret your purchase. If you want to buy something as old as that civic I recommend the manual transmission for RELIABILITY automatics are shit but since you're too autismo to want to drive one I guess we will have to settle.

>2001-2005 Honda civic
>any thing Subaru after 1995
>forester or legacy or Impreza

ive been reading reviews of the dealership im looking at and some sketchy shits coming up, seems like its a 50/50 chance with this place.

Fuck this car, now i need to find another car because this ones gonna take a huge shit on me

Get yourself a light pickup truck.

You can just google the codes yourself