/twg/ - Total War General

FAQs and General Info
pastebin.com/gZ1T9VCN (embed)

>Warhammer introduction to MP Lords and Heroes
pastebin.com/hPkPujTB (embed)
To update: Never pick anything other than Morghur as Beastmen.
Necromancer heroes are top pick right now while raise dead is still broken as fuck.

>Empty Steam Groups
steamcommunity.com/groups/totalwargeneral
steamcommunity.com/groups/twgmp

>No Total War News
If you've been living under a rock these past few months, Shortbrindal is free now.
Waiting for Bretonnia

Mods -- twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2191-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Modifications
>Recent
Update Info -- wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER_Update_5
>Recent
DLC (good goy) -- store.steampowered.com/app/534331

Suggested Mod Pack (You can pick and choose from the list, Suggested by user):
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817040576

Penultimate thread(we're dead for good if Bretonnia is a late Feb release):
New thread before bump limit because image limit is reached and screenshot posting is necessary to give shitposters imaginary ammunition.
No Boii or Stunties allowed in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamspy.com/app/275850
youtube.com/watch?v=A34poZ6paGs
youtube.com/watch?v=jVyjRhSX92E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1st for united /twg/

Technology and player tactics are more than enough to make up for it I feel.

now i'm in the mood for some Dwarf Fortress, good job CA

If our elector is to become Holy Roman Emperor ...

1212 is going to have to be released before that can come to pass.

Anyone else in the TW:Arena Alpha and hyped for this weekend?

Rejoice! For a Knight of Bretonnia provides your shield.

Chaos fucking shits beware, Sigmarines are coming.

Shoo shoo

nice legoset kid

Xth for CRUSADES

Does this come from experience or is this conjecture? Not being an asshole.
The early empire technology you can research are +2 rank, +8 leadership, and +speed. None of those are going to make up for the fact that your troops are outclassed by the AI's. My logic here is that your general constitutes 1 slot out of 20 in your army while the rest of your slots are going to be infantry, early game most of those are going to be state troops. Now you might buff your lord to be able to take out the enemies lord but that doesn't change the fact that in every other respect your army is inferior to the AIs. And if the odds are against you which they always will be on Legendary having a strong front line counts for far more than a strong Lord unit

Some poor experience, mostly conjecture.
My only VH (battle)difficulty game was as VC. harder battle difficulty hurt there but was not difficult to overcome, just need the same mindset of fighting slightly superior troops.

Rock the boat!

Forge World was a mistake.

Only trust a wood elf after you've properly disarmed them.

>today wasn't the day

>this week won't be the week

February 28 is the propable release date for the Bretonnia update

but i'm bored NOW

When is the usual main TW stream?
It's britbong wednesday right?
It's 2pm strayan wednesday at the moment so in like fourteen hours or so?

You have no style, you have no taste.

Is RTW2 fixed now? Played it on release and dropped it in disgust. Is it playable now?

I forgot they did things that weren't large models.

I'm posting at an ungodly hour but I thought it would be rude to leave you without a reply so here you go.

Ok.

what about did you not like at launch
its still relatively the same game just less buggy and with some freelc

Fast flight, cannonball-san.

Ready to see Vlad fly?

Definitely the most satisfying moment I've had from this game. Still lost the battle due to reinforcements being on the opposite side of the map, but killed a fuckload of undead.

Pig shit-covered stick hut in the backwoods of "civilized" Empire or comfy ork hut on the prairie amongst the "savage" orcs.

HMMM.

Absence of Family Politics, buggy, slow and unoptimized, unbalanced mess

franz my son you are tired now and must choose:

pig shit covered hut in the backwoods

or

comfy ork hut

So why do none of the factions released so far have their full unit roster?

And why the fuck aren't their officers of units, flag bearers, and musicians when even fucking vampire units have them?

When are we getting Knights of Gorkamorka (Dwarf Skirmisher Cavalry)?

And also, why don't a lot of units have unique abilities and traits like terrorghiests having a chance to very violently explode killing everyone around them?

most of it follows balancing, and warhammer being baby steps away from the standard Total War game.

Some things like flag bearers or musicians just may not have been all that cared for in the planning phase so they never got dev time.

I wish it wasn't baby steps though. It really doesn't do the setting justice. There's all sorts of cool shit and we don't get to see any of it.

Warhams was a proof of concept. Why on earth devote time to musicians if the battle/campaign system was fucked up and it R2'd itself?

I'm sure it'll get there and I have had fun playing it and I want a lot more added to but the first installment wasn't going to be crazy. I want equipment, musicians, officers, bigger deeper sieges, settlements, etc. but they had to get the foundation down in the first place before worrying about musicians.

If army painters, unit equipment interfaces, and other shit ain't around by the end of it that would be a detriment.

thought companies put that up as a place holder since they know it's coming out that month but they don't know the day.

It sucks. I'm starting to wish they had just taken a extra year of dev time to try and smooth things out.

That's why its in three parts.

Money user. Dev time costs money and they needed a release since Attila didn't sell very well and they needed a big and good release to distance itself from R2 release. With the TWW sales and DLC sales Sega is willing to let CA run wild with it since it proved it can sell. Top 12 well at that.

You guys forget that if TWW flopped CA would be hung by their guts right now.

well any other release date we get will be better, unless it gets pushed back again

that's actually pretty impressive for a game that didn't get all the hype bullshit Fallout 4 got

>f2p
>top seller
oh valve

Yeah it's bleedingly obvious that Warhammer was a very cautiously scoped out project. Meant we got a really good quality release with nary a bug, but also meant that a lot of the nuances and flavour of Warhammer The Universe didn't make it in.
I think they learned a lot of lessons about project management from the Rome 2 disaster. Most game studios don't survive that kind of shit.

>No Man's Sky is a platinum seller

How many retards actually bought that game on Steam?

I'm still fucking mad about Fallout 4.

thank god im not the only one bugged by that

steamspy.com/app/275850

Did you watch the Joseph Anderson videos on Fallout 4? They were interesting.
youtube.com/watch?v=A34poZ6paGs
youtube.com/watch?v=jVyjRhSX92E

here's hoping they learn and don't stumble on elder scrolls 6

and getting off warhammer topic here i apologize but was anyone else completely urked by the synth shit? that irritated me more than any other bumble in this game, how could a a college living in a hole in the ground for 200 years have an advanced society of robots and artificial intelligence when the microchip was never invented and their tech was basically from the 50's? i can suspend my disbelief for lasers, sure but the rest of that was just.... horseshit. it was such a sci-fi grab that jumped the shark for me. i know they wouldn't dare ruin their elders scrolls bread and butter after skyrim's success but i'm still worried

No. But I guess I can-

>1:23:40
>2:32:30

...Maybe later. I've got a paper about the Klamath that I'm dragging myself through at the moment. Have a summary?

It's a sort of post-mortem academic analysis trying to figure out what Bethsoft were actually trying to achieve with Fallout 4. He also rips into the silly story and the total lack of player agency. It's dry watching but I feel it was a worthwhile watch, something to do on a rainy afternoon with a cuppa tea and bickies.

The synths were a total jump the shark moment for the setting. To keep my rant short, it's a fucking pandora's box that they've opened up that is damaging to the setting. Hypertech replicants straight out of Blade Runner that are more than rare, they're practically pervasive seeing how many freaking characters in that game are seekrit robots. That and the power armor within the first five seconds, the absolutely butchering they gave dialogue, the heavy handed level scaling, the fucking minuteman micro management-

But, there are bits in that game that are good. Like, when you go delving through the ruins of what seems to be a ration distribution point and uncover the wait I'm doing exactly what I didn't mean to do in a total war thread agh agh.

I'll definitely watch it. I'd like an analysis of the mess of Fallout 4. It may be just stockholm syndrome talking, but underneath the god awful mess there were a few bits of something close to interesting.

IN THE MEANTIME, how about somebody drop some roll charts or something.

I'm not really bugged about it. I've accepted modern valve.
Just slightly amused by valve's transparency.

I wasn't really angry at all. You could see it coming a mile away.
Fallout 3 came out and was very retarded but still an okay game. Then New Vegas arrived and demonstrated just how incompetent Bethesda is.
As soon as they announced the game at E3 and teased player voice I knew it was going to be absolute garbage.
I wasn't sure of the scope of the garbage, but I knew it.

To the point that I don't much see the point of videos like this. Every one of Fallout 4's slipups is visible from the surface. No analysis is really necessary.

Thread is pretty dead anyway. Get in the steam chat/s if you want to continue discussion but feel bad about posting it here. I'll idle there, I won't post on this topic more than once.
Todd Howard did an interview where he seemed fairly aware of Fallout 4's reception and acknowledged that the voiced player character was an experiment and that it pretty much failed.
Which is at least a single bone we can grab at while hoping for a decent TES6.

I fixate on the voiced player character both as the first and final warning sign as the most dangerous precedent.
I think Skyrim is absolute garbage as well, and can only really be redeemed by mods that allow you to roleplay and experience the ok world on your own terms.
The voiced PC
a) results in a shit game, and thus less of a modding scene
b) basically eradicated any conceivable hope for mods that allow you to roleplay. As the only way they could get away with that is rewriting like 80% of the player's dialogue and 40% of everyone else's.

>Most game studios don't survive that kind of shit.

What's more mind-boggling is that the studio didn't even lose people they actually got more people because of Alien Isolation and Halo Wars 2.

I'm still confused how the fuck they got more workers after R2.

Rome 2 still sold quite well despite an abysmal launch.

so is warhammer still uncrackable? dont feel like paying hundred bucks of my currency just for half the game

They got a shit load of pre-orders for Rome 2 based off of their old reputation that gave them enough inertia to coast along and make Emperor Edition which fixed the most glaring issues for Rome 2.

...Actually, come to think of it, isn't Total Warhammer going to do a similar re-release kind of thing?

Got to love the fucking AI in this game
>Turn 6
>End turn RIGHT OUTSIDE Eilhart about to kill the secessionists, whatever I'll do it next turn
>Fucking rebels "united" Middenland against me RIGHT BEFORE I fucking killed them
>Whatever, I'll burn down a few settlements and they'll ask for peace
>They then unite fucking Nordland against me
>You've got to be shitting m-
>They then unite Orion against me
WHAT. THE. FUCK. I've never seen the AI do this this much in a campaign. Honestly I don't even think I can win anymore, it is only turn 15 and Orion is already coming towards Helmgrat with a couple doomstacks. Thankfully he hasn't confederated with every elf faction yet, but seriously man this is bullshit.

they should get obsidian to do the next total war game

Yeah; Old World edition. Assuming that will be the de facto "final" stage of the product, then some patches to fix whatever they break in OW edition, maybe one more minor DLC, then sequel work.

maybe they'll add musicians in OW edition

or make the map bigger

This item is some top tier bullshit. The aoe of it is fucking huge, easily enough to cover an entire enemy front line where the fuck has this been in all my other games.

They should add a spell to Karl Franz that lets him summon a unit of Todbringer clones called "The Elector Counts."

God damn I just want a fucking map editor and being able to add new models. That's all I need, at least a campaign and battle map editor along with basic pathing tools for the AI. I really don't get why they won't, yeah people will release stuff for free but its extremely unlikely it will be better than anything CA shits out aside from their garbage RoR.

The difference is that Warhammer was well received, as people have said, so OWE will be even more profitable for them

>That pic
lel, Do you have more pics like that?

True, I just hope they use the first part as a testing ground and hopefully all the money thats come in will help with parts 2/3.

I just want this game to be as good as it should be. I love it as it is but there's so much more they could be doing you know?

Ok these seem pretty interesting, going to give them a watch.

Did you think I had forgotten, Kharl?

I wish I had more pictures like that. No, I just found it in TWG one day with no idea where it came from or how it was made.

>Napoleon's romp around Europe still going strong
Oh boy.
I've taken Normandy and Bretagne and currently have an invasion force on course for Gibraltar, but I'm not sure I will be able to make it up to France in time. Time to get a little more pushy.

Remember to exterminate the swiss.

>having fun on a Russian max difficulty Empire dathmod campaign
>Ottoman Empire decides it doesnt want to play any more and create a million single unit stacks to crash the game
fucking Turkroaches

THE SKELEGATES, KHARL

Warhammer Total War is fun, but it really makes me wish for some more political depth and a bigger map. I'd like it if there was a bit more to uniting the empire than "Bumrush them immediately, or wait for Chaos to invade and then slowly confederate them painfully as your populace get pissed off that you're uniting the empire." I wish there was a combination of Warhammer's setting and Crusader Kings 2.

>Implying any brettonian is ugly
They literally get every feast day off to work on their beauty regimens.

oh user have I got some good news for you

Well fuck I should have just known somebody would mod that shit. Dang, custom portraits too. Geheimnisnacht eh? Is it an unstable buggy mess that needs me to roll back updates to three expansions before, or is it actually current and stable?

Skeledingdong

Pretty current and relatively stable

Some might say it's a bit bloated though

I've played it extensively. It's actually really well done, and the legitimate only catch is that it runs a bit slow because it covers the ENTIRE Warhammer world. Bretonnia, Dwarfs, The Empire, Lizardmen, Elves, even barbar tribes in the Chaos Wastes.

The current version was the first stable release of the mod (1.0) and is compatible with the current version of CK2. I'm currently playing a Bretonnia campaign right now.

>I wish there was a combination of Warhammer's setting and Crusader Kings 2.

That would only work for feudalistic-type settings, though.
Any other setting or era & the whole 'family' deal is off.

And Warhammer is definitely NOT a 'family' setting.
Unless marrying your daughter off to Orcs is your magical realm?
in which case: take your fapping someplace else, furry

It doesn't have to deal with families and dynasties, though. I'd argue the main feature of CK2 isn't dynasties or politics (they are major focal points though) but the ability to roleplay characters. That's where the Warhammer potential comes in.

And yes there's a feature that lets you do interracial marriage and stuff. It's optional though and I don't use it

They should reduce the number of units in a grail knight squad. They're the very cream of the crop, they shouldn't come in a group of 30 dudes. Should be maybe 6-8 max, and adjust their stats accordingly to make them still powerful/dangerous.

>It's optional though and I don't use it
you disgust me

Should do the same with Blood Knights tbqh

All units numbers are inflated. It's fine.
The Blood Dragons comment is correct as well. Can't be perfect.

Conveniently ignore the size of demigryph units. Or any units of smaller size, really.

Well I'm sold. Lizard time. Or maybe Araby since there's no way in hell they'll show up as a playable faction in Total War and I've always had a soft spot for Arabian Nights kind of fantasy.

IMHO, the entire point (raison d' etre, so to speak) of CK2 is roleplaying as a head of dynasty.

Case in point right here.

Yeah those unit sizes are more on point, only inflated a bit.

But we're not counting off a standardized point system here. It's not Grail knights and Empire knights costing the same, It's Grail knights costing almost double.
Numbers need also be adjusted for unit mass. There is a significant difference between 'ordinary' cavalry and monstrous cavalry in the way that they interact with the enemy.

It's not like dynasty mechanics don't fit Warhammer though. Dwarf clans, Imperial families, Bretonnian nobles, Elf dynasties... it all works.