Is it just me or are exhaust systems a complete meme...

Is it just me or are exhaust systems a complete meme? It's common knowledge that to maximize power you need to maximize airflow so ideally you want to be straight piped with right sized headers - but what fucking difference could there possibly be between the brands besides how quiet they can be while retaining a high air flow?

It's a hollow piece of metal that lets air flow through it.

There can't possibly be any differences.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hmRZi76ziGU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's the sound that people go for

I'm pretty sure on a lot of cars you lose out on a bit of power with a ricer exhaust

you are clearly ignorant on exhausts

1. maximum airflow isnt always the best otherwise people would just run open header
2. different muffler/resonator design pipe thickness material and placement make different sounds
3. straight pipe is fucking awful

>There can't possibly be any differences
There are slightly less than 1 million different muffler designs

Yeah just slap a 3" straight pipe on a 2 stroke race bike mate she'll be good no worries

>what is backpressure

or just take it off why not m8

>what is backpressure
A boomer myth?

Isn't a smaller exhaust system better for maximizing the speed at which the exhaust exits since the smaller pressure makes it leave faster?

Not for a two cycle petrol engine, no.

At first I thought this was bait.

Then I remembered I was on Veeky Forums

Next time you feel the need to out yourself as a fucking retard, stop, take 30 seconds to educate yourself, then go and suck on your exhaust for a few more minutes just to make sure you've thoroughly absorbed the information.

think about what you're saying
if you keep making it smaller, eventually you'll have no exhaust at all. just something blocking the exhaust from exiting. what you want is an exhaust as large as you can, before air begins to travel around itself and form pockets.

People do run open headers, Idiot

yeah bruh

everyone just runs open headers

these exhausts are myths that no one ever buys

you guys are all retards that didn't interpret my question correctly

the purpose of a modern day exhaust is two things really: to minimize noise and reduce emissions

we already know that straight piped is the best for maximum power. it just isn't practical because it's too fucking loud and not everyone wants maximum power. but that isn't the question

the question is what possible differences could there be between the different exhaust brands BESIDES what I described above. Isn't it all the same shit? Just a hollow metal tube? People argue over the different exhaust brands (mainly about the 'sound' or 'note' they make) but what difference does it make? It's all just metal piping? There is no inherent property that makes one better than the other....

weight is also a factor. I could go to a exhaust shop and get a 3" straight pipe made with a decent muffler and be done with it. But i'm also concerned that the larger exhaust will add more unsprung weight to my application. I had a powerhouse amuse titanium full turbo back exhaust for a s2000 balanced on my palm without breaking a sweat. (A full exhaust system less than 5-7lbs.) Or perhaps you want want both flow and resonance maximized, maybe you want want to retain back pressure while getting the most flow possible. There are many combinations depending on how you want your car to perform in low or high speed sections. If peak HP only matters to you then sure, get a heavy straight pipe. If you want a flatter TQ curve while winding up to tackle the next corner, then maybe a big exhaust isn't for you. Maybe your going for a time attack situation and the P:W ratio is just as important as peak power, so a lighter pipe will work best considering there can be class restrictions in racing.

One of the big reasons why there are so many different exhausts is because there are so many different applications. If you went with a open header exhaust or a big diameter straight pipe in all the time, you will find that it will negatively affect your performance depending on how you are using your car.

I'm pretty sure the exhaust system is sprung weight m8 but other than that good post

Thanks for the correction. Yes its sprung weight. **facepalm**

>It's a hollow piece of metal that lets air flow through it.

Yeah, pretty much, if you don't count build quality. There's also the factor of having a "smooth flow" towards the exhaust, lots of bends tend to fuck this up, resulting in more back pressure at the headers. You also have uel vs equal length headers, where EL will give you more even power to a turbo.

Fucking busriders it's all about how much flow you can get and peak CFM with minimal back pressure especially on Na cars.

Twin 2.5" crossflow x pipe reporting in with no cats

You idiots don't know anything about exhaust flow.
"Each time a power stroke occurs and an exhaust valve opens, a positive pressure occurs in the exhaust manifold. A negative pressure occurs in the exhaust manifolds between the positive pressure pulses, especially at lower engine speeds. Some exhaust headers are tuned so the exhaust pulses enter the exhaust manifold between the exhaust pulses from other cylinders, preventing interference between the exhaust pulses. If the exhaust pressure pulses interfere with each other, the exhaust flow is slowed, causing a decrease in volumetric efficiency (and thus decrease in horsepower). Proper exhaust manifold/header tuning actually creates a vacuum, which helps to draw exhaust out of the cylinders and improve volumetric efficiency, resulting in an increase in horsepower. "

So what he saying is we sum sorta shitposting squad

then take it off if u dont like it
youtube.com/watch?v=hmRZi76ziGU

Then how come all race performance vehicles are basically straight piped

race cars usually have headers that are completely optimized for their application

headers are where the real magic goes down

>Is ____ a meme?

Kill yourself

Truth be told,
Nobody has a fucking clue
>Hurry duur you NEED backpressure
>Ya but dude lmao what is resistance to flow
>B b but muh exhaust vacuum resonance to maintain perfect equilibrium
>Then y do drag/race cars run str8 pipe of the block

pulses and resonance and sheeit

but yeah, it's mostly just marketing and getting a sound that people like. And purple hot chrome tips, those are cool.

>>Then y do drag/race cars run str8 pipe of the block

there are multiple reasons for this

weight and ease of plumbing being the main reason I assume when it comes to pro mods and the like

the fender exit can also help push the front down to fight against lift

top fuel and funny cars are also designed to be pushed down by the exhaust like top fuel wouldnt even be able to complete a pass otherwise

these things are making enough power and going fast enough that it doesnt matter that much