Looking to buy a car. Should I buy an Impreza or a Jetta?

Looking to buy a car. Should I buy an Impreza or a Jetta?

I live in a place with lots of snow. Don't wanna get stuck.

>lots of snow
>need AWD

just get a civic and shut the fuck up

The Impreza is way better

The Jetta is way better.

So which one is it?

Ask again later

The impreza because it's awd and cheap and not some Volkswagen trash

Lots of snow is a concern, yes. And I do think AWD would be helpful but I am not certain.

If the jetta is german built, its good. AWD is a fucking maymay and is unnecessary.

>if the Herta is German built, its good
>jetta
>German
>good
>using these 3 words in the same sentence
>doesn't know the jetta is actually German built

Literally pick one

Hmm, VW stopped making the Jetta in Germany back in 2006. Didnt know that. OK, Jetta a shit.

>doesn't know the jetta is actually German built

Get the snownigger APC

Veeky Forums has a hate boner for AWD for some reason, probably because they got their ass beat by an Impreza in some light snow.

Regardless of the performance vs cost of AWD, it's noticeably more fun in the winter than any FWD car.

FWD gets you where you need to go in the winter, AWD makes it fun.

just get snow tires for your current car.

Get a wagon that was built in country that deals with a lot of snow. A Volvo, for example, or a Saab.

Failing that, get the Jetta. Both FWD and AWD will be useful in the snow. But the Jetta will have that SUPREME DEUTSCHE EFFICIENCY!!!

[spoiler]Never use a Beemer in the snow, I speak from experience[/spoiler]

Balls, I forgot this board doesn't do spoilers

snow tires is more important.

>OP wants awd car
>everyone says dont get awd
Why?

If he wants a sports car do you all say he should get a suv?

No, they would suggest a Miata with an LS swap.

Anytime anybody wants to have fun in the winter, they just say to get snow tires like it somehow equals AWD in performance.

t. Minnesota fag who used to drive FWD with snow tires

Anything that is not retardedly low setting and/or has extremely disrutive ESP/ASR or similar you cant turn off will do just fine as long as you're not retarded and also have suited tires

>ESP/ASR/TCS
I call it the fun switch.

It's because Veeky Forums is full of edgelord kids who'd breadth of knowledge about life consists almost entirely of cars even though they actually know very little about cars and even less about how to apply that knowledge.

So, they puppet the line that tires are more important than drivetrain - which is true - and then end it there either because they don't think for themselves or they have a RWD or FWD car with snow tires and can't think beyond themselves.

Yes, winter tires are the most important thing because it affects literally every aspect of controlling a car in inclement conditions since they are the only thing that hold you to the surface of the road. That means it affects acceleration, braking, steering, and stability - literally everything.

HOWEVER, add AWD into the mix and you amp everything up a notch or two because now have 2 more wheels/tires that can actually play an ACTIVE role in all of those things mentioned above.

So yeah, if snow and such is the primary concern then winter tires + clearance are the #1 and #2 priorities. If you also want to feel like a motherfucking boss on snow/ice as well, then AWD is #3.

Lastly, the answer is Impreza. The 2017 Impreza is so far and away better than any Jetta that it's not even funny. Better interior, better chassis, better dependability over time (significantly), infinitely superior AWD system... the list goes on and on.

The Jetta is a piece of shit car, period. People only buy it because it's like the cheapest way to buy something new and German. Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, Honda... hell even a domestic like a Ford Focus/Fusion, Dodge Charger, or Chevy Malibu/Impala are better buys - at least the American makes will be cheaper/easier to repair and you won't look like a wannabe when you roll up to a mechanic in a dying Jetta. If you're going to go VW then it's GTI, Type-R or CC or bust. At least that way it's somewhat worth the cost of ownership experience.

In my limited knowledge, I know subarus cost less to maintain and better in snow

Thanks. I guess I'll go with the Impreza. I am looking at older models though.

Going from an 07 Kia Optima to a 15 Impreza wagon, it felt safer on rainy and snowy days. My next car will be a Subaru whenever I give away or sell my first.