4runners in the usa

I'm an xj guy first off. I just picked up this 94 4runner for 600$ and all it needed was a new battery. I'm thinking about flipping it because quite frankly I can't see how this thing has an advantage over my three Cherokees. OEM parts are way more expensive and off road upgrades are also high. The front suspension seems so much more complicated than a solid axel too. And wow I've never seen one without rust. I can understand Toyota making sense across the ocean but in the USA? Can anyone shed some light on why this is a better platform over the XJ?

Other urls found in this thread:

consumerreports.org/cars-owners-speak-out-on-5-least-reliable-cars/
youtu.be/soup06jz6vA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pls

Lol jeep.
Youre obviously trolling.
The toyota destroys cherokees and you wont convince anyone otherwise.

The drive line rarely has a component failure, its light and has good cargo room.That's why there is a "Toyota" spec in BOTD huh?

MOAB!!!!!!!

thanks for the explanation

me
forgot to add that they have better manners on the road then xjs but the ifs is a weak point when used hard off-road. Specifically the ball joints.

yeah i was about to say that people do solid axle swaps. imho the xj is cheaper and easier to work on for use as an off road vehicle.

thats not an xj.

for the cost of an SAS i could buy and build another cherokee.

Cherokee>XJ
I have a lot of experience with both btw

lol I need to go to bed
Cherokee > 4Runner
Fuck.

lol

>trip
>says bad stuff is good
Normal day on Veeky Forums

>4runner
>good
No, ifs a shit

Ifs is superior for EVERYTHING
except driving over large obstacles
Which a VERY small percentage of people do.

Also jeep diffs are known to explode

Sorry man but that is not true.
The are less prone to failure
cheaper to maintain
easier to swap gears and install lockers
Stronger by a significant margin
Are easily upgraded to significantly larger sizes
IFS is always better at higher speeds or on for handling in general and most light off road applications.
I have a SFA truck and an IFS Truck so no bias here

>lockers
>swaping gears
Things crawlers do and no one else
They arent stronger either.
They arent difficult to maintain
They handle better, they ride over bumps better, they are more stable at high speed.
Things 99% people do with a vehicle
No one needs solid axle

I was gonna say you were in the wrong thread, then I realized this isn't /org/

So yeah the 4runner is the better mall crawler for sure. Well, except that Toyota tax.

fuck you

Another milestone complete. Right. Back to the grind...

>worst get ever
People will never reach the full capability of a 4runner to the point it needs mods.
In which case they would have bought something better than a jeep too.

CHECKED

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

THAT WAS FROSTY'S GET

Checked

>The are less prone to failure
That's a very generalised statement, but you can't really argue a live axle's simplicity over a pair of half shafts,especially with the XJ's uni joints. In practice though, CV boots are easier to upkeep over swivel hub seals typical of most live axle fronts, and a CV boot only has to protect the CV, not seal up the whole differential.
>cheaper to maintain
This is false. As of above.
>easier to swap gears and install lockers
Blatently false. There's no difference in installing diff centres.
>Stronger by a significant margin
Another generalisation, but in the comparison of an XJ and a 4Runner, I'd favour the torsion bar 8" Toyota front end over the XJ's D35.
The biggest drawback of an independent design is the geometry limitations when looking at changing ride height. There are options such as diff drops (that's before you take control arm mounting location into account) which help correct half shaft angles, but ultimately it's a much more complex job than lifting a live axle, and is a lot more hit and miss with results and usually involves a lot more in the way of compromise.

>living in a housing tract full of hideous beige chicken-wire-and-spackle McMansions

kys

IFS is better for prerunners and pavement princesses. That's it.

Shut up moron

I find the only flaw with an IFS truck is slighty limited articulation for taking poser Facebook tier photos parked on a rock. In the real world out in the forest on the trails however, they loose little on a solid front axle option in terms of capability.

consumerreports.org/cars-owners-speak-out-on-5-least-reliable-cars/

>Cherokee 3rd most unreliable vehicle in the USA

Here's a guy who wrote an article about how reliable his xj with 215k miles is

>The Jeep 4.0L H.O. has been praised by countless automotive journalists for its insane reliability. It could have a rod knock and still get you all the way home. It could be running 90* under the proper operating temperature, with vacuum leaks, a bad fuel injector, and still get you home (ask me how I know).

Wait, why is it running cold, with vacuum leaks and a bad fuel injector? I've had old Toyotas with more miles that never had any of those problems.

I think the only people who say the Jeep is better are people who still think it's necessary to wrench on a car and that that is just part of ownership. Things break, you replace them. Ok, but the Toyota, you just fucking drive it. Put gas in it and change the oil. That's all you have to do.

>IFS on an easy trail proves that IFS is better on for trails
Okay guy.

The extra articulation is far better than just a locker as far as traction goes and it's immensely helpful with predictability. Sure, you can usually get to most of the same places with an IFS rig but you'll generally be looking for easier lines and you'll need to take a lot of obstacles slower than a comparable SFA rig due to the reduced suspension travel. A slight weight shift with SFA and a ton of travel can be absorbed by the suspension. If you've got an IFS vehicle with one wheel a foot or two off the ground, there's no resistance to that weight shift until that wheel hits the ground, at which point the vehicle has gained rotational momentum making a rollover much more likely.

IFS being less capable usually doesn't mean it's not going to be able to follow SFA, only that it's going to be pushed closer to it's limits doing so and the driver is going to have more difficulty.
And then there's the fact that SFA is generally stronger and far easier to upgrade for even more strength.

Generally speaking, SFA is just better. That doesn't mean you can't use IFS.

I think they're apartments m8

Keep lying to yourself to feel superior
Youre a moron
Maybe 1% of people off road (rock crawling) NEED SFA
No one cares about driving over a rock at a snails pace.
Its stupid.

w/e

i fucking hate beige buildings

i hate beige

At least he made an argument

Noted :^)

faggot

why the fuck does everyone do a SAS conversion if the IFS is so much better? Pretty sure OP is talking about wheeling, and not just driving to school.

2500$ for a 4runner plus 1000-1400$ for a SAS conversion you could have purchased a cherokee for 1000$ and had 2-3000 for mods.

Some people are dumb (sfa people)
The jeep is for poor rednecks and is truly a terrible vehicle

defend this. EVERY single toyota truck ever.

I'm just gonna sell it to some retard for more than it's worth because 4runner people will buy anything that rolls.

Defend this. EVERY single cherokee ever.

you got me. I have no words left.

CHECKED

>every Cherokee ever

SFA being better doesn't mean you need SFA.
It just means it's better.

At one thing. That very few people do.
No one cares

>The drive line rarely has a component failure
Like an XJ unless you do something retarded like floor it at full lock?
>its light
XJ is a good 700 pounds lighter
>and has good cargo room
So does an XJ.

4runner is better but I would still sell it unless you really like it. You could probably make $1500 or so off of it and since you already have XJs then there isnt that much of a point.

IFS is only better at conefagging and prerunning, which very few people do.
No one cares.

Nearly the most stupid thing ive heard in this thread

>Generally speaking, SFA is just better. That doesn't mean you can't use IFS.
While that's true, the advantage in factory applications isn't as pronounced as others would like to have you believe, and in the case of the 4Runner vs. XJ, I'd wager the Toyota to have greater overall articulation than the Jeep taking into account the rock hard leaf sprung rear end of the XJ (ever see all those XJ fleks pics where the front carries a huge angle and the rear stays close relative to the body?). Where the Jeep is of an advantage is if you intend to run a lift of 4 inches or greater. There's no getting past the modabilty of a live axle.

>generally speaking sfa is better
At ONE thing. That a very small percentage of off roaders do.
IFS is superior in EVERY other situation.

>While that's true, the advantage in factory applications isn't as pronounced as others would like to have you believe
100% factory there isn't TOO much difference between comparable vehicles.
However it's much easier to get extra travel out of SFA than it is out of double wishbone IFS.

>IFS is superior in EVERY other situation.
Such as?

Having said all that, in OP's case were he runs multiple Jeeps, is probably familiar with wheeling and wrenching on Jeeps, I'd say he'd be silly to invest in the 4Runner other than flipping it as suggested, heck without being vested in either I'd sooner choose an XJ over a 4Runner for various reasons.
It's the same reason I predominantly run Mitsubishi Monteros these days, similar serviceable parts and all covered by the same workshop manual.

>However it's much easier to get extra travel out of SFA than it is out of double wishbone IFS.
Yep, modabilty especially when talking increased ride height.

that's not even challenging and SFA would do that better

AMC =/= Chrysler

Post 2-3 pics of underbody plz

>putting anything 35"+ on a dana 30 and expecting it to hold up

user error

body on frame

convert it to SAS and upgrade axles and you'll have a better platform than an XJ. nobody said it was cheap though, it will be more expensive the a cheap XJ wheeler with moderate mawds.

>EVERY single cherokee ever.
Disproven

>rear end flexes less than an IRS
>XJ faggots will actually defends this

I guess the Jeep fanboys don't want to defend this. It'd be hard admitting your vehicle overall has less flex than an IFS equipped vehicle, regardless of arbitrary axle configuration I guess.

>worst example of SRA
>just as much flex as best example of comparable IRS

>rear end flexes less than an IRS
what did he mean by this?

Well, Obama's IRS flexed quite a bit desu, it was bent as fuck

If we're talking 2nd gen 4runners a xj probably would be a better platform for offroading. 3rd gens on the other hand are way better as than any jeep

>worst example of SRA
It's the exact example of the thread content you fucking genius.
>what did he mean by this?
Exactly what he said you fucking genius.

>Exactly what he said you fucking genius.
nah, he had to be sarcastic
there's no way that's what he meant by that

At handling power and maximal torks?
no.

Boom. BTFO.

Why couldnt they handle power?
Some of the fastest cars in the world use CV axles.
Rock (mall) crawling doesnt require power either

HECK YEA REDDIT!!!!

>Why couldnt they handle power?
The joints, even on some moderately large solid axles, are not made to handle the stresses of turning large diameter tires. Do you really expect diffs on independent suspension vehicles to have stronger joints than purpose built offroad vehicles when they are AWD only for the ski market? And those fastest cars are not the most reliable cars. Fastest until failure is the norm on performance vehicles. Reliability is a solid axle, a carbureted pushrod v8, and no sunroof.

Its as if words just fell from your ass

youtu.be/soup06jz6vA

But for real tho, drivelines on cars with independent suspensions can't handle torque nearly as reliably as solid axles, because their applications don't require it.

The joints in IFS applications have to handle a lot more angle and strength decreases as angle increases.

Hence why I said they were weaker.

>arguing a point that doesnt matter off road
Wow its nothing

joint strength definitely matters in off road applications with oversize tires and varying traction

Angles Increase stress
Doesnt matter offroad
WTF are you saying? That is where it matters the most. That is where you will stress the vehicle the most.

>lolpushrods
can't make this shit up, stay delusional gm fags

>toyota vs jeep
>gm
????

actually thats chrysler, but whatever

Keep 4Runner sell Jeeps. Lots of profit, plus you got an actually reliable SUV. (unless you by chance got an SRT8)

What's really funny is when Jeep fangirls actually believe the 4.0 AMC is a great motor. They go all shy and quiet at the mention of Toyota 1FZ.

>They go all shy and quiet at the mention of Toyota 1FZ.
>this is what toyotafags actually believe

Only available in the land cruiser

Great substantiated retort.
Roger that.

>Great substantiated retort.
nobody cares about your meme engine faggot

>meme engine

>implying it isn't
A big block chevy will mop the floor with those shitty toyotas with a lot less money spent on it

>meme engine
>this irrelevant example is better
Serious question, do you suffer regular strokes and find it hard to concentrate on something for longer than two minutes? I think you may suffer from serious brain damage.

>being this mad that a lolpushrods timed engine is superior to your dohc
can't make this shit up lole

pushrods are simply superior, why do you think most american car manufacturers use them in their performance cars?

>being this mad that a lolpushrods
I don't give a flying fuck as to whether something has pushrods or not. Is this some sort of asspained GM fangirl spilling over into an irrelevant discussion?
My point is the AMC 4.0 is an outdated underachieving bucket of snot, regardless of arbitrary valve train design.