Best first pickups?

What are the best 50s-90s series trucks to fix up?

mazda rotary pickup

these are pretty cool

1973-1987 Chevy/GMC C/K series
>305,350,400 and 454 engines are dead simple and have a large parts availability
>Tons and tons of info out there so you should never run into a problem where a solution can't be found

1972-1993 Dodge D/W series
>225,318,360,383,400 and 440 engines are dead simple and have a large parts availability
>Tons of info out there

These trucks can be had for sub $2000
The big blocks and manuals will run you more but should still be pretty cheap.

Honorable mention
>1st gen Dodge Dakota 318 V8 Magnum
>1st gen Chevy/GMC S-10/Sonoma 4.3L V6
>1st gen Ford Ranger 2.3L I4(swapped with a 2.3L from a Ford Thunderbird TurboCoupe)

59 apache fleetsides

thank you

did the first gen dakota not come with a 360 magnum?

I'm in the process of buying my uncle's old Ford pickup and restore it. Can't wait. I would say check out some Ford's or Chevy/GMC in the mid-late 70s or 80s, very newbie friendly to work on.

thats a pretty rad ford bro

No the 1st gen Dakota's largest engine was the 5.2L Magnum. The 2nd gen Dakota along with the Durango offered the 5.9L Magnum.

I didn't include them because they fall on the tail end of the 90's with the model years being 97-04

ah i see. the 5.9 mag i have, i snagged out of a 99 ram 2500

anything with a v8

thank mate. even tho this pic related isn't my uncle's truck but looks exactly like it (minus the color), its something i would love go for. Just gotta figure out how much a full body repaint would cost for a truck.

I a chevy guy but i have ways loved that body style in black.

I recommend anything American with a v8 or an i6 that doesn't have an assbackwards fuel injection system.

square body chevy is god-tier for newbie first pickups

Cummins diesel or get the fuck out. You can get an early 12v for a few grand. If you fix the KDP the motor will last five times longer than anything else recommended in this thread. The body itself will need work but there's your fix up portion of the equation.

Tossing my vote in for the 73-87 for a few reasons.

>millions made

>parts are cheap and easily found with the
exception of odd-ball items

>tons of groups and forums, these things are insanely well documented, as well as modifications/swaps/jerry-rigs for just about any issue you could run into
They're great trucks, mines now pushing 223,000 miles on the factory suspension/rear end/body, new motor/trans I put in about 20k ago to get rid of the gutless 305.

If you do go the squarebody route, rust and a bent frame the owners lying about are the biggest things to watch for.

kit kat has a valid point here, the chevy squares are often recommended heavily for as seen above, but one great thing is cheap as fuck aftermarket, though, that applies to any smallblock chevy.

>exception of odd-ball items
such as? curious to know

I own a 1st gen cummins and can say it's easily the worst option possible. there's a cult following behind these trucks and despite that they have absolutely zero and I mean zero parts support. mine, and 99% of trucks have horrible electrical issues that will never be 100% unless you do extensive rewiring work, inb4 just do the voltage regulator fix bro. Yeah that works 90% of the time, too bad the 10% where your stuck on the side of the road with a trailer is completely random and unavoidable.

a C/K series is literally the only option if you plan on putting miles on your truck since they are very free with parts licensing and have huge commonality between models.

Fords don't have nearly as good of support but they do have some nigger rig options to keep the truck somewhat useable and in any case they are 100x better than mopar partswise.

For my truck specifically, the wiper control module. Switch is on the dash not the column, because earlier model, switch has a control box plugged into it behind the dash, the module isn't remanufactured, and is hard to come by.

My wipers work, but the intermittent aspect doesn't, the time delay doesn't work and using the intermittent setting does all sorts of weird shit from no wipers, to full speed, to actually working correctly for a minute then back to full speed.

After a year of on-off searching I came across a NOS switch, still in the original Delco box for $80.
>Note, this is only an issue for intermittent switches, not all models had them, and in-column switches have their modules reman'd so they're easily replaced

>12valve
>a few grand
Maybe for a rusted to shit 2WD

People here want $6-7k for a decent 2WD and $8-10k for a decent 4WD

This. Older 80's era carb'd 4x4 V8 trucks would be best. Any brand really although I'm partial to Dodge.

Alternatively a later 90s truck with obd2 MPFI would be my second recommendation. Really you just don't want an obd0/1 TBI abortion.

but muh efi and eec iv masterrace

unless you luck out and get a 95 MAF 5.0 it's basically shit

Early 1970's - Early 2000's is the sweet spot for daily trucks. I wouldn't buy anything before or after.

Get a damn Goat.
Looks good, sounds good, pulls good