MR revival?

What is so hard about taking an existing shitbox transverse 4banger, flipping the drivetrain to the rear, and selling it an affordable sports car?

The

I don't think any automaker today has the brass balls to do such a thing. Toyota was a different company back then. Safety standards are such that designing a whole new platform would be a pain in the ass.

why don't they spend their R&D figuring out a way to assassinate safety committee members.

I would support that.

Well first of all a FF chassis is not designed to deal with the handling characteristics of MR cars. No matter what there will be some amount of R&D. Secondly low-powered MR/FR cars are a niche market anyway so potential sales take a hit right away, and may not justify the aforementioned R&D, the marketing, and the entire new production costs. I agree with you entirely OP in that I wish more automakers would take the chance and compete in a reasonably priced MR segment, but in reality it just wouldn't be worth the investment for them, as it's really not as simple as just flipping the drivetrain around. We can hope for a return though, the new NSX kind of pushed it into supercar territory and there's a gap there for something to compete with the Miata and the 86, but with MR layout. Another AW11 idea would literally be my next purchase if it was affordable (wouldn't be).

why doesn't toyota just build a cheaper version of the nissan gtr?

awd grip beast with v6 and forced induction while having four seats would be godly.

>TURBO
>MR

snapoversteer HOO

>that feel when crossovers are where the money is and you will never see a wide range of affordable sports cars from the major auto brands ever again

it's called a WRX, or Focus RS, or Golf R

do you really think a golf,wrx, or focus is similar to a gtr? do you honestly believe that? like put side by side would you go "Wow it's like an everyman's gtr!"?

>awd grip beast with v6 and forced induction while having four seats would be godly.

Aside from the v6 all of those cars meet your requirements. Quit being a baby.

so you're basically asking for an modern version of an unobtainable snowflake car to be rice taxed into oblivion
they are building a new supra you know

Show us how you can make a modern turbo v6 awd sports car cheap and ill tell you why it cant be done

U must b trollin bro
if you want a GTR, buy a fucking GTR - those cars are as close as you can get right now for a fraction of the price new.

literally take a brz and put a fucking wrx drive train and add two cylinders fuckhead.

inb4 Ohhh noo it can't be done no car can have awd AND a flat six.

you should just get a Carrera 4S then

You say that like it wouldn't put it into the GTR price range to develop and put into production

the gtr price range is six figures. how deluded are you to suggest that making a car AWD and six cylinders instantly does that? are you high?

this. forever.

Yes I am, and that's not what I was implying. What I'm saying is that you're asking for a cheaper GTR, and while I agree that would be awesome, you need to understand that even a "cheaper GTR" as marketed would be nearly as expensive as an actual GTR (which is already an astounding bargain for the performance), because a true everymand's GTR would need to have compromises to meet the costs of developing and producing a high performance road car for a niche market. Those compromises, while leading to lower costs, limit how much it is like a GTR. WHAT I'M SAYING IS that the WRX, Focus RS, Golf R, etc are exactly what you're asking for in that they are AWD, forced induction, high performance cars that ostensibly give a similar experience to a GTR, but cost MUCH less. Do you understand?

You know what I don't get? Why every new fwd car must have the engine in front of the axle.
They would handle and have so much more potential if the axle was ahead