User stop wasting time on that piece of shit, you should scrap it and buy a new car

>user stop wasting time on that piece of shit, you should scrap it and buy a new car

Getting sick and tired of hearing this shit, and it isn't even that old, mid 90's with minimal rust to treat. So user, what do your friends and family think of the time you spend tinkering?

What car is it? Is it actually a piece of shit?

>with minimal rust too
>rust on the car
It's shit.

Corsa B Si, like in the pic. Not the hottest car around by far, I know it, but the engine is still bulletproof and the bodywork only has a couple tiny rust spots. Plus, I like it.

>the bodywork only has a couple tiny rust spots
Well then fix em

>Well then fix em

That's what I plan to. Even the ones showing through the paintwork are smaller than a fingernail, so I doubt it has spreaded much farther underneath. Perks of living in a sunny country that never saw road salt I guess.
The only thing that truly worries me is that it already shows signs of the dreaded B pillar crack, a common fault on these.

user stop wasting time on that piece of shit, you should scrap it and buy a new car

I fucking love the Corsa B. Has a bit of a rep as a peados car around here but still, it's in my top 5 shitboxes of all time

If you put a bit of 2mm steel plate either side and weld it in, it stops the crack actually reducing the strength of the roof

I know in Bongland it has a lot of fame for being the quintessential barry car. Luckily over here they tend to grab civics, 106/saxos, and ibiza tdis instead, so the corsa was pretty much left alone.
Even still, the plan is to build a GSi replica, won't even touch the tiniest amount of rice.

Yeah, I've been researching on it, a lot of people suggest spot welding a reinforcement plate inside the pillar, but I'm somewhat stuck on how to tackle it though. I initially thought the pillar was hollow, but I already took out the interior panels, and I saw yet another steel sheet inside the pillar. Seems to be a pillar's main structural point, and I'd have to cut it if I want acess to the crack from inside. Pic related, forgot to take a photo at the time, so excuse my poor paint skills.
If I can't find a way to, I'll just do everything else to the best of my abilities: wirebrush the area, drill both ends of the cracks, weld, grind to shape and rust protect afterwards (although I do have to improve my basic welding capabilities).

Nobody ever says anything, but I do get people, especially my friends who aren't into kar, give me this weird feel of "why the fuck are you messing with this crappy old shit"

Why? Because it's 4wd, because it's a (lolnopower) sipper of a diesel that will happily accept the shit we have for cheap fuel, and because it's relatively simple since the whole fucker comes apart with a screwdriver and a set of 10, 12, and 14 size wrenches

They don't understand, although they're respectful, and I'm very thankful for that. It's simply that they don't see the point, because they want the newest, hottest, the bestest whatever there is available right now, even if replacing the air filter absolutely requires taking it to a specialized service center...

What is it btw?

just remember that the people who say this don't like cars or working on them

'98 Suzuki Vitara, just like in pic related, except in a faded-by-the-ungodly-sun Bordeaux color, and neglected as fuck by the family for the last 9 years

It's a pig if there ever was, but it has a place in my heart ;_;

>It's a pig if there ever was, but it has a place in my heart ;_;

Spoken like a true Veeky Forumstist

I feel you OP.

>user, why are you spending hundreds of dollars maintaining that perfectly usable car, when you could discard it and spend tens of thousands worth of unrecoverable depreciation and increased insurance rates just for the sake of driving something newer?

Bonus points if the person suggesting this is a grown-ass woman (30+) with nigger-tier credit.

>friend buys 2010 vehicle
>paying over $10k
Meanwhile
>buy $300 car
>spend $500 fixing it up
Works great
>later down the road
>buy $500 4x4 truck
>spend a couple bucks on fuel line
Been driving that for a few years and fixing minor things
>friend still making payments
>stuff breaks on his and has to pay more because its newer
>has to have full coverage insurance
Meanwhile i have a savings account because i have no car payment and my insurance is $8 a month.

MFW a Carfag sempai said this to me and can't even wrench

Reeeeeeeee

Although, I don't like the Corsa or Vauxhalls in general, unless it was called the Calibra, but I can appreciate someone who looks after their car and treats it well.

As long as you look after the bodywork and the engine, it should last. Basically, fuck the haters, fuck them completely.

>after all, the important parts are gonna get harder and harder to obtain.
>making new ones on demand may become too expensive
>ur shitbox is just 20yo and after all you will either stop DD'ing it or just sell it

I feel you, user

But it's not a one-man fight, there are many enthusiasts out there, people willing to spend time and money to keep things they love. And who knows, there might be a way to make things a good bit cheaper in the future

If there's no way around it, you can always replace what you can't find with something similar. High pressure fuel pump is NLA? Find something that will do the job, and cobble something together to keep it functional. Electronic module fried? Make your own fucken system, better at everything, even. New dampers can't be found? Well, looks like we have to rebuild them...

It's a labor of love, as well, never forget that