BMW 320D vs Audi A6

So, I'm buying a first time car, and can choose between these. Both are 1999 models.

320D 2.0 manual, 136hp, mileage 160k,

Audi A6 2.4, Auto, 165hp, mileage 100k

I have plenty pics of both, they've both undergone repairs, strict legal tests and controls this weekend, so there is a no-scam/flaw/rust guarantee.
Which should I go for?

Other urls found in this thread:

audiworld.com/model/a6/00/specs.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A corolla

Accord type R

How old are they? I presume it's
>pic related?

How serious were the repairs? Is the audi also a diesel?

Me? If both are diesels, I'd buy the Audi, despite my personal manual preferences, bit more power, bit less mileage.

No. The audi is a C5 A6. V6 options were 2.4, 2.8, 3.0 and the rare 2.7 Biturbo. It also had the 2.5 Tdi.

A6 is a solid choice but the 2.4 is gutless. With a manual its bearable but it has a hard time dealing with the weight of the A6. Dad has a 2.4 quattro Avant but thats a lot heavier than a sedan FWD.
Still, the 2.4 is solid. Its bulletproof unlike the fucking C5 electrics wich are a total nightmare. Manuals fail at 350-400 k kms. Autos always shit the bed at exactly 230 000 km (2.7tt and 4.2, with smaller engines it may last longer)

Verdict: Get a 2.5Tdi with a manual if you do >10 000 km a year if less then 2.4 is fine.

Get the BMW. Audi 4 gear autos are very anemic.
The e46 in 2.0 diesel is quite reliable, if service sensitive. The 2.4 in Audi is a better engine, but fuel economy is worse. Also, it doesn't drive that well if its not a quattro.
Take a look at e39 with 185hp 3.0 diesel. If they are properly serviced they can clock a million kms without a problem.

The C5 Audi had the v6 diesel, yes? If so, I'd advise him to avoid it, shit fuel economy and overall bad reliability. Old 2.5 R5 tdi is bulletproof on the other hand.

>Both are 1999 models.

Im not sure how well an e46 will handle with diesel weight in the front of it, but it will certainly be better than an audi.

shit i just remembered i know 2 people with a C5 that have the Tdi. It really is shit. One had a engine rebuilt before 300k km. i take my words back ()

E39 530d is pretty quick but the turbos fail

>Old 2.5 R5 tdi is bulletproof

Not from what I`ve seen, better than the V6 perhaps. The only vag diesel I would get is an old 1.9 without variable geometry turbos.

The A6 did have a 1.9Tdi option but moving a >1500kg car with 115hp would be a nightmare

Then perhaps you should get a Mercedes diesel, vags are pretty abysmal outside of the 1.9. It`s even the preferred engine on the VW Transporter over the 2.5, even if not as powerful.

/thread

also, the bmw. I dislike audi's, make me feel like a passenger behind the wheel.

The 1.9 isn't so hot either, I changed two last week. One the head and injectors wore against each other and filled the oil with diesel until it started to run on its own oil and rev to the moon.

The other put a rod through the block, bearing journals looked fine, so it wasn't oil starvation.

You had some seriously bad luck. The 1.9 Tdi is highly sought after where i live

I would say that vag diesels are mainly a meme and hugely popular due to marketing. Sill 1.9 is the safest bet as its so widespread and cheap.

kg
It's 1350kgs

A6? 1350? Do you even know how big it is? Unless its made of carbon fiber its nowhere near 1350, especially with a V6. Where did you even find that number?

Parkers.co.uk has it listed as 1520kg for a 2.5td auto saloon

audiworld.com/model/a6/00/specs.shtml

Nope. A non quattro V6 is heavy as shit, look at the S6

Why does every 1.9 sound so rough and ticky?

Audi is Gasoline, and both are made in 1999.

Did that buff out?

It is a V6 dude

I bet both will be pretty awesome as a first car
for about 4 months after that shit starts to break down. buy a civic.

There's no point in buying a 320d when there's plenty of 330d's available. Can easily chip tune them to above 240hp and 500nm torque.

So are you Polish, Turkish or Portuguese?

BMW will pull just as hard as the Audi and will get 50% better fuel mileage
also it will handle and drive way, way better

Probably the mechanical injectors, they are inside the head and a camshaft pushes a plunger on top of them to generate pressure and inject.

Easily the worst sounding diesel, but somehow muh VW premium diesels is still parroted by normies.

330d swirl flaps yum yum.

It's a 5-gear auto.

Also didn't mention it, but I'm getting them for the same price, 2500 USD.

>Snowy landscape. snow on roof and obvious as fuck snowy mountains as a backdrop

Naturally, I'm in Turkey

what do you mean by 50% better fuel mileage? Will it be 50% cheaper per gallon of fuel? Tests seem to indicate otherwise?

>No Turks live outside Turkey

not the smartest knife in the kitchen are ya

As someone who owned an Audi A4 for my first car, you'd have to be literally retarded to buy any of the 'proper' Audi's as your first car (i.e. one that uses a proprietary Audi engine, not an engine ripped from VW). Running costs for a year will almost certainly exceed the value of the car.

Plus it's an auto, fuck that shit.

because the 2.0 liter 4cyl diesel will consume way less than a V6 2.4 petrol
And because the BMW is lighter
And because diesel is cheaper than petrol

Oh, okay.. Thank you for that info!

Get audi with 1.9tdi 96kw plenty of torque and power, rest of engines are shit. 2.5tdi costs a lot to repair, like timing belt/chain replacement or some shit. Get bmw 320d 110kw, 100kw is unreliable. Also make sure bmw is facelift, because prefacelift has serious issues with suspension/chassis

As someone who owns 91' BMW, Basically what you said

>literally no deprecation over years because prices have hit rock bottom
>whines about running costs
you only pay for basic maintenance every other year, it's still dirt cheap compared to any other car that is not a comparable old shitbox wearing another badge